Sharing Facts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:45 AM

Hello, Well I have finally managed to open RM4 again and start using.
I have a query I hope you can help, in RM2 when people shared a fact the only way I found to enter the fact was to memorize and paste the fact.
In RM4 I thought I could share a fact, say a census, I have a family of 7 plus 1 other relative living together in a census, when
I click on share this fact and add multiple people, I then select the people who share the fact, but the role is wrong, they are not a witness to ghe event they merely share the fact, how do I do this please?
Thanks for the help,
Pauline.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:32 PM

Go back to the SHARE button and highlight each person in turn, click on edit then the role drop down and choose "Add new role type" and type in anything you want to use. In the case of a Census, I choose the relationship to the head of household: Son, Daughter, Wife, laborer etc. (After you once typed inv "Son" the next time you come to a son you can just choose the type.

You will have to define the Role sentence for each new role you create.
It may be easiest to copy and paste the role sentence from the witness role to the new role then modify it to suit yourself.
Alfred

#3 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:33 PM

There are 3 steps to adding shared roles:
1-define the roles and the role sentences (Lists, Fact Type list, select Fact, click Edit, then Add Role.) The "Witness" role is a default which I rearely use.
2-add the people via the Share button. Roles can be added when you add new people via the Share window -- Add new role type.
3-add the roles to the main fact sentence through Customize sentence.

When I Share facts, I add each individual and assign him or her the respective role, i.e. [wife], [son], [daughter], [mother], [mother-in-law], etc., from the drop down list. (Note that I use individual facts for census, immigration, etc. I only use family facts for relationship-type events, marriage, engangements, divorce, annulment, etc., but that is just me.) If the role sentence is not already defined, I add each one as necessary. You can even add unrelated peoiple -- if they are in the database, add them as above, if they are not, add them by name only using the Add person by name only.

Once all the people are added to the Shared event, then I Customize the fact sentence to include the roles. For example, for a census fact, I might add: "Also emunerated in the household were his wife, [wife], and their children [son,daughter], and his wife's mother, [mother-in-law]." Note that the role [son] and [daughter] are pseudo plural. The role itself is singular, but in the fact sentence, it can be used to refer to all the sons assigned the role [son].

If you have added people and they don't have roles, select each person in the Share window, click edit, and select the appropriate roles. If the roles don't have a role sentence, click Lists, Fact Type list, select the fact type, click edit, then select the role, and click Edit role to add the sentence the way you want it to read globally for every fact you add.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#4 newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:06 AM

Alfred - Many thanks for the information, that seems to be how I want to do it. Will have a try.....
Bienia - Thanks also for the detailed process, I have printed out the instructions and will have a go, fingers crossed.
Pauline