• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bigbluestem

bigbluestem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 07:52 PM

Good Evening: I am new to RootsMagic, having just moved on board from TMG Gold. I want to be able to only include certain events on my family group sheet report. e.g. birth, death, marriage, burial. I do not want all the events to show up on report, such as christening, baptism, military, etc., yet I still want to see them in the person view on screen. In other words, I want some customization of the family group sheet report. Is that possible with RootsMagic ? One of the huge strong points of TMG is the ability to customize the the most minute detail all the reports. I don't mind giving up some of that capability, but would like to do some customization. Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike

Michael A. Harris
Monticello, Illinois

"Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave, and die trying to get back to." Nash

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2080 posts

Posted 23 October 2009 - 08:06 PM

Mike, yes, go to Lists > Fact Type List. For each fact, you can specify if you want to include it in the FGS.

#3 Kimmrg

Kimmrg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:45 AM

Mike, yes, go to Lists > Fact Type List. For each fact, you can specify if you want to include it in the FGS.

Romer, I do not see how a report for one fact will effect the FGS. Can you elaborate?
I did as you said, Lists in the report format. Just see fact type, not fact type list.
Thanks.

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3483 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:12 PM

Just see fact type, not fact type list.

Not sure what your confusion is.
With RootsMagic running and a database opened, if a user clicks on the word 'Lists' at the top of the screen (between the words 'Edit' & 'Add'), a little dropdown menu opens and the second from the bottom choice is named 'Fact Type List'. Clicking that opens a list of all Fact types (buit-in and any user "designed" ones). Highlighting any Fact name in the left panel and then clicking the <Edit> button shows the user an Include when: section in the lower left of the Edit Fact Type screen. For any particular Fact Type edited, the user can checkmark/uncheckmark choices for where to include facts of the highlighted type (all checkmarked means all places of usage, uncheckmark Narrative Reports and that particular fact will no longer appear in any Narrative reports generated by RM (until the checkmark is placed back for that Fact type). Same for all other uncheckmarked facts. This is on a "per database" basis. You can have one database that does not print certain facts in Family group sheets and another database that does print them.

From the RM4 Help file (BTW, RM has context sensitive help that will popup when <F1> function key is pressed):

Include when – Change where you want this fact type to be used.
i. Exporting GEDCOM files – Check this item if you want to include this fact type when exporting to GEDCOM files.

ii. Creating web sites – Check this item if you want to include this fact type when creating websites.

iv. Family group sheets – Check this item if you want to include this fact type when printing family group sheets.

iii. Narrative reports – Check this item if you want to include this fact type when printing narrative reports.

vi. Individual summaries – Check this item if you want to include this fact type when printing individual summaries.

vi. Printed lists – Check this item if you want to include this fact type when printing lists

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:13 PM

Go to the lists - Fact type list and EDIT the facts that you do not want on your familyn group sheet.
When editing, remove the checkmark in front of "Family Group Sheets" under "Include Where" and that fact will not be shown there until you replace the checkmark.
Alfred

#6 Kimmrg

Kimmrg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 07:49 PM

Well Duh! Thanks so very much, I was looking under reports to the list. Great specific reply and very much appreciated.

#7 bigbluestem

bigbluestem

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:39 PM

Thanks so much RootsMagic gang ! This message board is just another advantage compared to TMG Gold. This is a lively group and the information shared has been very useful to me. I appreciate it so much.

Michael A. Harris
Monticello, Illinois

"Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave, and die trying to get back to." Nash