• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:50 AM

Hi,
I need your help please. I was using RM4 upgrading from RM2.04 but My desktop has crashed and altho I've been able to remove the harddrive and save almost all of my stuff using an ide caddy drive, I have problems trying to get to my RM4 files. I have a laptop which uses Vista the desktop used XP.
I am now using the laptop. My RM2.04 program is still on the laptop and the family tree files are still there. But the RM4 files I had started using have disappeared for some unknown reason and now when I try to import the RM2.04 files it can't find them?
Also RM4 doesn't find either the RM2.04 or RM4 files on the G:\ drive either
To access all of my other documents on the G drive I did have to change all the permissions on each folder before copying them across to the laptop C drive.
I have tried every which way but I can't do it.

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:08 PM

newbie, look under the pinned topic within the Issues Product Support Board here on the forums. It provides a knowledge base article that may provide a solution to finding a RM database in Vista if it's been saved under Program Files. If you can't find that topic, try http://www.rootsmagi...-rm3-databases/ .

Please repost if the solution doesn't resolve your issues.

#3 newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:30 PM

newbie, look under the pinned topic within the Issues Product Support Board here on the forums. It provides a knowledge base article that may provide a solution to finding a RM database in Vista if it's been saved under Program Files. If you can't find that topic, try http://www.rootsmagi...-rm3-databases/ .

Please repost if the solution doesn't resolve your issues.

Hello Romer, many thanks for the reply and advice and the link.
Unfortunately (from the link) following the instructions doesn't seem to work because in RM2.04 there is no option to "copy" the file as the instructions ask you to do?

Most likely you are running Windows Vista and have your RM3 files stored in your program folder.

Windows Vista does not allow data files to be stored in the program files folder, but it will let a program "think" their files are there. Vista really moves those data files to a "virtual store" (which is a hidden folder on your hard drive), and tricks the program into thinking its data files are in the program folder. But RootsMagic 4 (or any other program for that matter, including Vista itself) cannot see those files.

Here is the solution:

Run RootsMagic 3
Open your v3 database
Do "File > Copy" from the RM3 menu
Copy the database to a folder outside the program files folder (like Documents)
Run RM4 and import that copy of your v3 data

I must have found a way round it once because I was using RM4 on the laptop with Vista until recently! Unfortunately I can't remember how I did it!
At least my data files in RM2.04 are still there and I am able to access them I would just like to be able to do it using RM4!
Any ideas?
thank you
Pauline

#4 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:40 PM

Pauline, copying a database may've been introduced in RM3. The alternative would be to create a backup of your RM 2.04 database and to then restore it to the folder that you would've copied it to ("like Documents") had the copy database functionality been present in RM 2.04. Doing so would produce the same result.

RM4 would then hopefully be able to find your files for import into the new database structure so that you could move forward from there.

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3448 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:49 PM

Unfortunately (from the link) following the instructions doesn't seem to work because in RM2.04 there is no option to "copy" the file as the instructions ask you to do?

Run RootsMagic 2

Open your database(s) one at a time and do a backup to a folder outside the program files folder (like Documents)

Do "File > Backup > Normal Backup > Begin Backup" from the RM3 menu.

When the save window (labeled Name of backup file) opens, click the down arrow beside the Save in: block (near the top) and change the destination folder to a folder outside the program files folder (like Documents).

Save the backup file and close the current database. Open others one at a time and save the backups to the same destination folder as just used in the previous step.

Run RM4 and import those database copies of your v2 data.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#6 newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:15 PM

Run RootsMagic 2

Open your database(s) one at a time and do a backup to a folder outside the program files folder (like Documents)

Do "File > Backup > Normal Backup > Begin Backup" from the RM3 menu.

When the save window (labeled Name of backup file) opens, click the down arrow beside the Save in: block (near the top) and change the destination folder to a folder outside the program files folder (like Documents).

Save the backup file and close the current database. Open others one at a time and save the backups to the same destination folder as just used in the previous step.

Run RM4 and import those database copies of your v2 data.

Hello and thanks for the help
I have done exactly that, as you said, saved each database in RM2 - backup, and saved each to Documents but Rootsmagic 4 is still not recognising the files. When I run RM4 Import files, search for files it doesn't recognise any.
???

#7 newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:16 PM

Pauline, copying a database may've been introduced in RM3. The alternative would be to create a backup of your RM 2.04 database and to then restore it to the folder that you would've copied it to ("like Documents") had the copy database functionality been present in RM 2.04. Doing so would produce the same result.

RM4 would then hopefully be able to find your files for import into the new database structure so that you could move forward from there.

Hello,
Yes I did "backup" and to a new location i.e. Documents but it still doesn't find them.
Pauline

#8 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:27 PM

I think that the RM4 "Search for files" button functionality within File > Import may assume the C: drive. If you're using that and your files are elsewhere, just navigate to the folder where you restored your database, and choose the rmg file manually (via the "I know where the file is" button under File > Import in RM4).

Other than that possibility, I'm not sure what else to suggest. If that's not the case, what is the full path of the folder in which you restored your RM 2.04 backup? What is the name of the restored files (without the extension)? Does one have an .rmg extension? Can you locate it within Windows Explorer?

#9 newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 03:46 AM

I think that the RM4 "Search for files" button functionality within File > Import may assume the C: drive. If you're using that and your files are elsewhere, just navigate to the folder where you restored your database, and choose the rmg file manually (via the "I know where the file is" button under File > Import in RM4).

Other than that possibility, I'm not sure what else to suggest. If that's not the case, what is the full path of the folder in which you restored your RM 2.04 backup? What is the name of the restored files (without the extension)? Does one have an .rmg extension? Can you locate it within Windows Explorer?

Hello,
I have saved the files on the old drive (G:\) now on C:\ but they are still not found. I was running RM2.04 on the laptop as well so the files are there, but they were in the program files folder, now saved in C:\documents as suggested by the link above (about Vista) but RM4 still doesnt recognise them. Could it be because RM4 is looking for files RM 1-3 with the extension *rmg but RM2.04 saves the files as zipped files. I think I'm getting confused! I just opened Rootsmagic 2 and did search for files , it came up with the three files I need and they are called rmg files, so I opened RM4 and import files, search - I know where the file is - typed the address but it still failed to find them?
Help.
Pauline

#10 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:33 AM

RM 2.04 actually saves the main database file as an rmg file (along with a number of other files beginning with the same name), while the backup process compresses the relevant files and saves them as one file with a zip extension. The restore process decompresses and reestablishes the files backed up.

RM4 cannot work with a backup (zip) file from a prior version of the software, so yes, you do indeed have to restore it. I no longer have RM2, but if it's as in RM3, go to File > Restore backup. Use the Documents folder as your destination.

#11 newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:35 AM

The only way I can import the files is to export from RM2 as a gedcom and then to import to RM4 - This at least has worked, but will I lose any data?
It's very frustrating.

#12 z_marsha

z_marsha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:39 AM

The only way I can import the files is to export from RM2 as a gedcom and then to import to RM4 - This at least has worked, but will I lose any data?
It's very frustrating.

Don't know if you will lose information by using a GEDCOM file. In Roots Magic version 2.04 there use to be a file listing (xxx.LST) those items which were not transferred to the GEDCOM file for various reasons, I believe that I read that it is still in Roots Magic version 4.

I have also been trying to transfer my data from version 2.04 to version 4.0.6.0. I had all my databases in the Program File (warned to set up folders - didn't understand how to do that). To complicate matters trying to physically transfer from a 98SE system to a Vista system (2 separate
machines).

I JUST COMPLETED THE TRANSFER OF ONE OF MY DATABASES. I TRIED TO WRITE DOWN THE STEPS TO DO SO.

1) Roots Magic 2.04 is on my 98SE machine on Drive D and all data is stored in the Program File.
2) Go to Windows Explorer (on 98SE machine - START>PROGRAMS>ROOTS MAGIC. Can you find the various databases you are looking for? In my case I have 37 files named with 1 database name, ex. XXXXXX.rmg; XXXXXX_A (CDX file); XXXXXX_A (DBF file); XXXXXX_A.fpt (FPT file); etc.,. I also have backups (ZIP) in the same location.
3) Still in the Windows Explorer (on 98SE machine) - I setup a NEW FOLDER on
Drive C: C:\RootsMagic
\Name of database
\Data
\Backup
4) I did a COPY and PASTE to get the .rmg, and the related 36 additional files into the Drive C:\RootsMagic\Name of database\Data file; then I did a COPY and PASTE to get the ZIP files into the Backup section of this file.
5) Copied the C:\RootsMagic file folder to a CD Drive
6) Shut down my 98SE machine
7) Turned on my Vista machine
8) Insert CD which you just created into the CD Drive
9) Find the C:\Users\(USERNAME)\Documents\
10) DRAG AND DROP THE C:\RootsMagic folder from the CD Drive
11) Name of Database is listed as a File Folder

12) My notes are not that clear at this point, but I believe that I exited the Document directory.
13) I believe that I opened the Roots Magic 4 program - Import file from another Program (ex. Roots Magic version 1-3); Search for files (C:\users\username\Documents\RootsMagic\name of database\Data\ - Select name of database.rmg
14) I SUSPECT that the .rmg file is the PRIMARY file that controls the other data files and all of these are needed to perform the conversion to the new extension .rmgc
15) I believe that the program then asks that you CREATE A NEW FILE NAME - I used the same database name that I originally had - location: C:\users\username\Documents\name of database.rmgc
16) set options - click OK - on screen appears IMPORTING FILE.

SPECIAL NOTE: Check PROPERTIES on the original file in version 2.04 and compare with version 4.0.6.0. IF all numbers are the same - I would hope that everything transferred without error.

CONFUSING - YOU BETCHA!!!!

IT WORKED FOR ME - HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU - IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS JUST LET ME KNOW.

#13 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 10:55 AM

what is the full path of the folder in which you restored your RM 2.04 backup? What is the name of the restored files (without the extension)? Does one have an .rmg extension? Can you locate it within Windows Explorer?

Pauline, please verify that you did a File > Restore backup on your laptop to C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents (where USERNAME is your personal username within Vista, whether Pauline or other). [I actually use C:\Users\USERRNAME\Documents\RootsMagic, but as long as you're not putting the files in C:\Program Files or any folders underneath it, you should hopefully be fine.] You can answer this question by looking in Windows Explorer. Do you find the thirty-plus files associated with your database in that folder? Does one of those files have an rmg extension?

#14 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:58 PM

There are so many questions and answers here that I am completely confused as to where everyone is.

RootsMagic 4 will not restore previous versions backups. (it will not find them either.)

So if you have only the backup from a previous version of RootsMagic, use WinZip or even Vista to expand the Zip file to it's constituent 35 or so files before trying to import them into RootsMagic 4.
Alfred

#15 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2062 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 02:07 PM

It seems to be the case that RM 2.04 is on the laptop, so a restore of that RM 2.04 database should be able to be done from within that program. You're correct, however, that if it's not available, then Vista, WinZip, or PKZip, etc. will have to be used to restore/unzip them.

From what's been reported here so far, my concern is that the RM 2.04 database files haven't been properly restored from a backup (or haven't been restored to a proper folder). Once done, there's little reason that RM4 shouldn't be able to locate them for import to create a new RM4 database.