10 replies to this topic

#1 nikheff

nikheff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 11:19 AM

Even tho I'm a new user of RM, I've had something kinda funky happen about three times, and I'm thinking it's a bug.

When I'm looking at names in Explorer, I type the person's last name, and then usually a comma and the beginning letter or all of the person's given name. If I've changed my mind on who I'm looking for, I backspace to clear the name and this is when the "bug" seems to happen. Apparently if you backspace one too many times to clear the name, it discombobulates Explorer somehow and then NO NAMES are there!! Then RM says it has encountered a problem (rm exe) and shuts down the prog. When I go back in, everything is fine and I haven't lost any work, but it's just kind of disconcerting. I've been careful since to not backspace too many times when clearing a name.

Has this happened to anybody else? Is this a bug, and if so, is it being fixed?

One other little question: I read in the help file that your file is saved while you're working in your database. I am a religious user of backing up my file frequently anyway when making changes, but how often does RM save on its own?

Nikki Heffner

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 08:34 PM

I cannot get the backspace problem you mention to show up.

Do you have version 1.04b? Go to Help > About RootsMagic and it will tell you the version number. If it is not 1.04b, go to:
http://www.rootsmagic.com/updates.htm
and download the 1.04b patch to your computer. Once you have it downloaded, double click on it to install the patch.

I even went back and reinstalled version 1.o0 and tried it and didn't encounter the problem. -- So I don't know if upgrading will help.

--------

RootsMagic saves what you put in a field as you press the OK button or whatever finishes the dialog window.

It does not backup your files at any time by itself. You can set the option so that it will ask if you want to backukp an open database when you close the program.

Since manually creating a backup is as simple as:
[Alt]-[f]
k
b
[end]
[<--], [<--], [<--], [<--], (to get to a point in the filename just before the dot.
11-30 (Or any thing to make this backup unique- You don't want to overwrite the last one every time, sometimes what you are backing up is already corrupted.)

I would backup the database every so often, maybe on the quarter or half hour if you are entering a lot of data.

Alfred

#3 nikheff

nikheff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 April 2004 - 09:23 PM

Thanks for replying. It must only happen to me.....as usual! Yes, I upgraded to 1.04b, right after installing prog.

As far as backing up regularly, that's about what I do also, every quarter hour or so, just in case of gremlins or something else untoward happening.

I don't understand, though, why you say to backup to a unique file name every time. Doesn't the backup overwrite what's there and if a previous backup is corrupt this new backup would replace the corrupt info?? I can see part of your point, though----i.e., giving it the same name but adding something like "a," "b," "c," etc. before the filename extension. Then, if the latest backup was corrupt you could go to the previous one, except some of your last added info wouldn't be there......Ah, the conundrum of trying to cover all conceivable problems!

Nikki

#4 mranc

mranc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 09:23 PM

I don't understand, though, why you say to backup to a unique file name every time. Doesn't the backup overwrite what's there and if a previous backup is corrupt this new backup would replace the corrupt info??

If the file is corrupt but still working you are perpetuating the error. If you have a unique filename you can back track to find out were the error occurred. In may case I did a database compression (different program) that seemed to have trashed the file. I didn't notice this until about a month later when I started seeing people with LDS ordinances (which I don't use) and strange facts (birth places that weren't associated with the correct person). So I lost a month's worth of work but it was still eassier than going through everyone in the databaes and re-verifying every fact associated with every person.

Marty

#5 diamondk

diamondk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 04:25 AM

It happened to us once when we held down the backspace key for more letters than were in the name. No apparent damage was done. We have been more careful since then.

#6 nikheff

nikheff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (mranc @ May 3 2004, 10:23 PM)
If the file is corrupt but still working you are perpetuating the error.  If you have a unique filename you can back track to find out were the error occurred.

Okay, I understand about perpetuating errors in the backup file-----but how does one know if this is indeed happening? I back up my file very frequently when working (gremlins, ya know) and maybe it's naive on my part to assume all is well with the zipped backup file. I guess you would only know if your backup was okay was if you did a restore to a bogus database, compared number of people and sources, and then deleted it. And if one backs up to a different file every time, do you just rotate between, say, an "a" and a "b" file and go by the time stamp? I'd like to hear how other people do their backup routine.

Nikki

#7 Patricia

Patricia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:47 PM

I backup every time I work on the data and use with a different filename each time. I change the filename by appending the date to the name of the file each time. For instance, "master_050304", "master_050404", "master_050504", etc.

#8 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 06:32 AM

I also append the date to my filename each time upon backing up.

#9 fizzbomb

fizzbomb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 07:16 AM

Nikki,

Since you say you back-up every 15 minutes or so, you could use backup files such as:
One for each day of the week labeled "databaseMonday", "databaseTuesday", etc.
At the end of the day do a back-up labeled with the date such as "databaseMay052004".
Then reuse the daily files.

Jackie

#10 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE (nikheff @ May 4 2004, 08:20 PM)
If the file is corrupt but still working you are perpetuating the error.  If you have a unique filename you can back track to find out were the error occurred.
Okay, I understand about perpetuating errors in the backup file-----but how does one know if this is indeed happening?

The best way to make sure you don't have any corruption in your database is to create a GEDCOM file which includes all your data (in other words make sure all the checkboxes are marked to include notes, sources, etc on the GEDCOM export dialog). You can just save the GEDCOM file onto your hard drive.

The reasoning is that RM must access every piece of info in your database (every person, family, note, source, etc) to create that GEDCOM file, so if the GEDCOM exports without crashing then your data is ok.

You can delete the GEDCOM after you create it, or you can just leave it on the hard drive as a safety copy.
RootsMagician

#11 nikheff

nikheff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (RootsMagician @ May 5 2004, 08:56 AM)

The best way to make sure you don't have any corruption in your database is to create a GEDCOM file which includes all your data (in other words make sure all the checkboxes are marked to include notes, sources, etc on the GEDCOM export dialog).  You can just save the GEDCOM file onto your hard drive.

The reasoning is that RM must access every piece of info in your database (every person, family, note, source, etc) to create that GEDCOM file, so if the GEDCOM exports without crashing then your data is ok.

You can delete the GEDCOM after you create it, or you can just leave it on the hard drive as a safety copy.

Dang, you guys are good! Thank you everybody for your input. I especially like instructions on making a gedcom to check for file corruption. Will do that periodically, just to be on the safe side. And I think I'll do the "days of the week" backing-up suggestion, too. At least if something goes wrong, I won't have lost tooo much information.

Nikki