• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vkgm1934

vkgm1934

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 11:31 AM

All, I am investigating how best to migrate my family tree data from TMG 7 to RootsMagic 4. I have seen the FAQ entry advising an export to GEDCOM, but I am finding the now-archaic format not doing a very good job of transferring all my data.

Is there any hope (advice) on how best to get my years of data from TMG to RM? If so, how? I would gladly pay for the transfer, if I could be convinced of professional (low-error) results.

Thank you.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 01:33 PM

All, I am investigating how best to migrate my family tree data from TMG 7 to RootsMagic 4. I have seen the FAQ entry advising an export to GEDCOM, but I am finding the now-archaic format not doing a very good job of transferring all my data.

When you did your export to GEDCOM, what options did you choose in Step 5 "Destination and Miscellaneous Options" of the TMG Export Wizard?
Presumably choosing:

Version: GEDCOM 5.5 and Character Set: ANSI

...is probably the best for import to RootsMagic 4.

Is the GEDCOMname.LST (created wherever the database resides) full of things that could not be understood/imported?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 vkgm1934

vkgm1934

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 02:55 PM

Presumably choosing:

Version: GEDCOM 5.5 and Character Set: ANSI

...is probably the best for import to RootsMagic 4.

Is the GEDCOMname.LST (created wherever the database resides) full of things that could not be understood/imported?

I selected the default of GEDCOM 5.5 and ANSI characters.

I selected all tag types, all names, and all events.

Here are some things (so far) that are problematic:

+ "Witnessed" events are not being brought over.
+ Only one tag of certain types is being imported. If I have four "residence" tags, for example... only one is being imported. The other three are dropped.
+ "Place" and "Place Details" are going to need a lot of cleanup. Otherwise, sentences don't make sense.
+ Several "Description" fields are truncated upon importing.
+ The interface of the RootsMagic frequently locks up for me.
+ "Anecdote" tags are not being imported at all.

I am beginning to think I should not have even considered switching.

#4 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 03:53 PM

vkgm, you're right about some of the problems of GEDCOM transfer. Difficulties could be due to how TMG forms the GEDCOM and/or how RM interprets the TMG GEDCOM, as well as unique features to one program or the other that the other one is unable to support. The fact that TMG data can't be directly imported into RM (outside of a GEDCOM transfer) might be telling in terms of TMG's complexities.

A number of issues you've mentioned are supported within RM (witnesses, multiple residence facts, places/place details), but obviously the GEDCOM process is causing some confusion between the two programs.

I wonder if at least some of the issues could be resolved by a find-and-replace in the GEDCOM file after exporting from TMG and before importing into RM. Hopefully, someone with experience in transferring data between the two programs might be able to provide some advice before you completely give up hope. Supplying a portion of the GEDCOM file (tagnames, etc.) that pertains to some of the issues in question as an example might help, as well.

Do you recall what screens you've been in when RM locks up or what actions you were undertaking? Are you just talking about GEDCOM import?

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:16 PM

Discussion of witnesses:

http://www.whollygen...showtopic=11868

Besides here, you might also want to post questions on the Wholly Genes forum since the audience there will likely be more familiar with any TMG GEDCOM complications.

#6 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 04:23 PM

Was this the particular RM FAQ you were referring to:

8. Converting from The Master Genealogist (TMG) to RootsMagic

To export your data from TMG:
1. Open your TMG program and open the file you want to transfer
2. Do “File, Export” from the main menu. Click Next.
3. Change the export file type to Gedcom (*.ged)
4. Type a filename where it asks for Export file name.
5. Click the Locate button and choose MyDocuments as the place to save your GEDCOM file. Click Next. Click Next.
6. A dialog will appear for you to select the export options. Set Version to GEDCOM 5.5, Character set to ANSEL. Click Next.
7. Set Tag types to All, Names to All Variations, Events to All Variations. Click Next. Click Next. Click Finish.
8. Repeat steps 2 – 5 for each database if you have more than one.

To import your data into RootsMagic:
1. After installing RootsMagic, open your RootsMagic program
2. Create a new database by selecting “File, New” from the main menu. Enter the name you want to call your database, then click “Save” (or “OK”). An option dialog will appear. Choose the options you want and then click “OK”.
3. Import the GEDCOM file you created above into the new blank database. Do “File, Import GEDCOM” from the main menu.
4. Select the GEDCOM file you created above, then click the “Open” (or “OK”) button.
5. An import option dialog will appear. Choose the settings you want, although you will probably just want to use the default settings. Click the “Begin import” button to import the GEDCOM file.
- Updated: December 27, 2003

#7 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:54 PM

Here are some things (so far) that are problematic:

+ "Witnessed" events are not being brought over.
+ Only one tag of certain types is being imported. If I have four "residence" tags, for example... only one is being imported. The other three are dropped.
+ "Place" and "Place Details" are going to need a lot of cleanup. Otherwise, sentences don't make sense.
+ Several "Description" fields are truncated upon importing.
+ The interface of the RootsMagic frequently locks up for me.
+ "Anecdote" tags are not being imported at all.

I am beginning to think I should not have even considered switching.

+ Witness data is not supported by GEDCOM.
+ Only one tag imported - find a known instance (the person with the four tags) in TMG and search the GEDCOM file to see if all four tags are in the GEDCOM file.
+ All TMG places will be imported into RM's Place field. Moving stuff in Place Details has to be done manually. Make sure that the TMG GEDCOM has all levels of the TMG place data. Also note that RM doesn't support the - or -- exclusion markers if the are brought into RM
+ RM's Description field is unique to RM and should not be populated. If data is being truncated, TMG may have written data to a form that RM interprets as data for the Desciption field, but in small segments and all segments are not coded in the same form. (RM's Description field will hold quite a bit of data. Also, TMG memos fields would be the equivalent of RMs notes and that is where I would expect the TMG memo data to end up. Also, RM does not support split memos, so the bar-characters used to denote the splits will be extraneous.
+ lock up - a few people have seen some lock ups, but only a few. If you can either reproduce the sequence of commands that causes the lock-up or at least explain at what point you are seeing the lock up, at least we can see if it is the same as others have seen, or we can try to reproduce the lock up on our "play" databases following your instructions and then submit a problem ticket.
+ Are the Anecdote tags in the GEDCOM file? Use a text editor and search the GEDCOM file for them
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm