• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dietricd

dietricd

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:48 AM

I am currently using Rootsmagic 3 but have 4 to install. I need to know in detail how to copy my files, and how to do the Gedcom to a CD to send to someone. I'm using "Nero" for the first time and have Windows XP. I need to know this as soon as possible as I'm going in for surgery Oct 14th and want to be sure I have these files backedup... Thanks very much! Donna

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:41 PM

What is your goal(s) before that time? Is it just to make sure that someone has access to your data as entered in RM3? If that person has RM, perhaps the best idea is to provide them a backup of your data. Otherwise, yes, a GEDCOM file is probably the way to go.

If you just want to back up the RM3 database files to a CD, choose File > Backup. Click on the CD-ROM drive (writeable) radio button. A default name will appear, and you can choose to keep it or make a change. Next, click on the Begin backup button. Follow the directions on that screen, changing any settings as necessary. Click on the Burn CD/DVD button. This method will bypass your Nero software altogether.

Backups don't capture your photos and other multimedia files, however, so you may instead want to choose File > Backup and click on the radio button corresponding to Floppy disk, hard drive, USB drive, etc. Click on the Begin backup button, and either accept or change the defaulted to File name and Folder location. Make note of that location so that you can then use Nero to copy the resulting zip file and your multimedia files to a CD. I don't have Nero, but suspect that it might have a drag-and-drop interface so that you can do so and then choose some sort of burn option.

For a GEDCOM export, choose File > Export GEDCOM file. Accept or modify those settings, and click on Export once ready. You can either accept the Save in location or navigate to another, and you'll also be prompted for a File name, which you'll need to enter.

Good luck! If I've oversimplified your intentions or should you need additional deatils, please post any follow-up questions.