4 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 05:54 AM

I hope the Roots Magician has placed a pretty high priority on improving the memory handling capability of RM4.

Jack
Jack

a posteriori

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2069 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:01 AM

Jack, am I remembering correctly that you have a very large database? If so, in which areas are you seeing the memory handling problems? Is it mainly in building the indexes, etc?

I only have several thousand individuals in mine, so suspect that I just haven't been able to push the program into the range in which memory might become more of an issue. It's been transparent so far for me.

#3 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:25 PM

Jack, am I remembering correctly that you have a very large database? If so, in which areas are you seeing the memory handling problems? Is it mainly in building the indexes, etc?

I only have several thousand individuals in mine, so suspect that I just haven't been able to push the program into the range in which memory might become more of an issue. It's been transparent so far for me.

My db contains 20,701 individuals, 6000 families, 3981 places, 645 sources, 22990 citations, 4150 multimedia items and 4184 multimedia links.

I notice slow down after a couple of days, esp. when using search/find. RM4 sometimes takes up to 30 seconds - or thereabouts - before the find screen pops up.

After a reboot everything is fine for another couple of days. Shutting down RM4 and restarting without a reboot doesn't help. About the same time, adding children to a family becomes problematic as well. RM4 no longer reacts immediately whenever I end with one child and start inputting the next.

I have 4mb of RAM and a memory checker doesn't find any problem with any of it. At the same time I'm using RM4 I often have an open browser and most times my e-mail program as well. None of those applications show any sign of slowness at the same time I'm using RM4. I take some pains in assuring that my memory cache is cleared often and try very hard to minimize use of any other applications when using RM4. None of this has had any affect. RM4 continues to slow down and gets slower and slower the more I use it and I finally have to reboot.

I had first thought that the problem might be with the fact that I keep and work with my db on an external drive. However, the speed of accessing shouldn't be affected by that when you consider that function speeds up after a reboot.

If it's not RM4 then I can't imagine what the problem might be.

Jack
Jack

a posteriori

#4 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:33 PM

My db contains 20,701 individuals, 6000 families, 3981 places, 645 sources, 22990 citations, 4150 multimedia items and 4184 multimedia links.

[...]
I have 4mb of RAM and a memory checker doesn't find any problem with any of it.
[...]
Jack

I assume you really have 4Gb of memory. You must leave your system running 24/7 to see these symptoms. My total number of individuals is almost as high as yours but you have far more multimedia items. I just start my system when needed and do not see these problems.

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:21 PM

To Jack:
- I also hope that some improvement in memory handling is on the way !!
-
To Romer:
- There is no longer a menu item to rebuild or pack the index (as there was in RM3), which makes me think that RM4 is constantly updating whatever index(s) may exist. My database has now grown to a little over 110,000 individulas, 650,000+ citations, almost 16,000 places, 11,000+ multimedia links. I see "slowdown" issues ALL THE TIME. When I select an individual from the onscreen index, it can take several seconds for the individual to display and to open for editing. Whether I make changes or not, it almost always takes several seconds for the hourglass icon to disappear so that I can continue searching or editing. If I use the Reports | Lists | Individual list function to build reports (typically used to determine who has lived in a particular city or county) I can only run about 10 reports before RM4 starts to display memory error messages, and asks me to report those errors to RM (I always send the report).
-
To John_of_Ross_County:
I use a laptop, having stopped buying desktop machines about 5 years ago. I have found that the system works better when I shutdown and reboot, rather than use the hibernation mode, when I take the computer to do research, etc. But since genealogy is my main hobby these days, I often work for long stretches - up to 10 or 12 hours at a stretch - and this seems to bring out more symptoms of RM4's memory management issues. Usually quitting RM4 and restarting is enough to improve the situation, but I do sometimes resort to a full reboot.
-
:blink: