13 replies to this topic

#1 BrianZero

BrianZero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 04:51 AM

The upcoming book/manual on RM4 is being offered in the USA for $10 + coast to coast mailing for $2

In the UK we are expected to pay approx 15 + 3 [Total $30 approx]

Is this being fair to UK users? or are we yet again victims to UK Ripoffs

I say victims !
What do you say ?

BZ

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:35 AM

I say that you're not alone in your concerns. See Reader Comment #9.

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=540

If your price quote was based on a different distributor than mentioned in #10, you might give it a look.

#3 BrianZero

BrianZero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:51 AM

I say that you're not alone in your concerns. See Reader Comment #9.

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=540

If your price quote was based on a different distributor than mentioned in #10, you might give it a look.

#4 BrianZero

BrianZero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:56 AM

The $10 price I referred to was direct from Roots Magic USA
as a special offer 'Bundle'.
If RM USA are offering it at $10 [£6/7] why do S&N Genealogy want clos to £15 for same product ???
Also the USA coast to coast mailing charge of $2 covers further distances than USA to UK

I say ripoff
What do you say ?

#5 lostinbrave

lostinbrave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 11:40 AM

The $10 price I referred to was direct from Roots Magic USA
as a special offer 'Bundle'.
If RM USA are offering it at $10 [6/7] why do S&N Genealogy want clos to 15 for same product ???
Also the USA coast to coast mailing charge of $2 covers further distances than USA to UK

I say ripoff
What do you say ?

RM does not have control of resalers. If you want someone in the us to order you one and then ship it too you it could come out to be less than 20 pounds, approx 25 dollars would be the whole cost in dollars. 12 to have it shipped to them, and then 13 to ship it to you.
Using international flatrate boxes, from usps.

#6 wattshamp40

wattshamp40

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:16 PM

RM does not have control of resalers. If you want someone in the us to order you one and then ship it too you it could come out to be less than 20 pounds, approx 25 dollars would be the whole cost in dollars. 12 to have it shipped to them, and then 13 to ship it to you.
Using international flatrate boxes, from usps.

I live in the UK and have ordered the manual direct from RootsMagic. My credit card has charged me a total of 13.75. Despite the postage ($12) being more than the price of the manual ($10), this is still cheaper than if I bought it in the UK.

#7 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:06 PM

This situation sounds similar to the one in which I've wanted to purchase a music CD that was released in the UK, but not in the US. The price of the import CD is generally higher than what it would've cost in the US, as are the shipping charges. It does make it more difficult to swallow when the shipping costs turn out to be more of a burden than the product, itself.

#8 musicmomma

musicmomma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:48 PM

I think the prices should be compilable for everyone, but the currency exchange has to be taken in to consideration. :D I am not sure what the US dollar comparies to the UK currency so I can not offer and advice about that :unsure: but I think they should have the same break as we do in the US :blink:

I am glad that there is a manual because I can learn more from reading them as opposed to the hit and miss method. Any way my passion is to read manuals because I do understand them well. The one for RM 3 was excellent. I kept it and was able to figure out some of the options for RM 4.
Sue

#9 whomper

whomper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:16 PM

One solution here would be for RM to provide the text in PDF format and downloadable with some sort of Key, which would let RM accept payment via PayPal and the buyer to download it after proof of purchase.

Prices in the UK are often comparable to those in the US; but it depends also on differences between suppliers (as already explained) and the shipping costs plus currency conversions. It costs me more to buy something from the UK, if for no other reason than the shipping costs.

No body is getting ripped off; it's just inconvenient.

#10 BrianZero

BrianZero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:51 PM

Just a bit more on my gripe

I buy fiction/non-fiction books from 'The Book People'
A selection of books can cost between 5 & 10 [1 to 10 books]
Shipping is 1.75 for 1 selection or 2.50 for more than one selection

So UK shipping costs for The RM4 book alraedy proved too high - and bulk shipping !!

However any business that believes they have a captive market cant resist but pile on the costs
in any way they can [And thats just one way of going out of busienss]
I am sure the people from RM4 and their agents read this stuff and dont have the wit to see tha USA preferential pricing doesnt help to sell/support RM4 in the UK
The manual should have been part of the RM4 package in the first place [Selling a product inch by inch]

And, we havent even seen the book yet ! Is it value for money ? we are asked to beleive it is !!
I think to get these items on the market and glean free adertising by 'Word of mouth' - There should be a much more favourable pricing stategy for pre orders

#11 whomper

whomper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:18 PM

The manual should have been part of the RM4 package in the first place...

I agree with you here! Since the Help file doesn't include everything (and has some organizational flaws as well, IMHO), the manual should part and parcel of the package.

However, I do understand the problem of producing a hard copy and getting it shipped to buyers, at an attractive price. So, again, I'd encourage the RootsMagician to produce the manual in PDF and make it available as a free download to licensed users.

If a "key" can be used to activate a downloaded full-size program like RM4, than a key can be used to open a downloaded PDF manual -- to prevent non-licensees from taking advantage of it for free.

But before a full manual is produced, I'd sure like to see more of the Wishes incorporated into the program!

Now, about the cost of the manual as it's been announced: When it's purchased and shipped from the US to the UK, the costs should be lower than if you purchase it IN the UK for shipment elsewhere IN the UK. I suggest that you enroll in PayPal, which will charge you some little premium for paying in and converting to $. Still, it should be cheaper. Of course, RM would have to do some planning and charge more for shipping. Does VAT apply in instances like these?

:D

#12 whomper

whomper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:20 PM

Remember that the US is a big country. Coast-to-coast is still domestic, while US to UK is international.

#13 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:44 PM

Although I'd love for it to be thrown in for free, I highly disagree that the manual should automatically be included as part of the RM software purchase cost. It would bump up that price by a significant percentage, and some people would rather pay a lower price and not have it included with the software. The help screens within the program may be enough for some.

For those who have never purchased the manual, it was very good in past releases. It delved into topics more deeply and was organized quite well. Given all the new features in RM4, it will undoubtedly be more valuable this time around. We'll soon see.

I have no idea about any deals RM may've tried to work out with the overseas shipping companies. I suspect that the more volume a company can promise, the better deal might be able to be negotiated with those companies. I just don't know if there's enough overseas shipping business to encourage a particular shipping company to significantly reduce its cost to RM in order to get its business. The RootsMagician would have to weigh in on these and other related topics.

#14 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3423 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:02 AM

One solution here would be for RM to provide the text in PDF format and downloadable with some sort of Key, which would let RM accept payment via PayPal and the buyer to download it after proof of purchase.

Shipping charges are kind of old fashioned in todays world and whilst someone might always want the hard copy I am quite happy with a soft copy version. Of course the writer needs to be paid for his/her efforts and of course the cost of producing a hard copy also needs to be covered. Shipping a US product to the UK or Ireland also incurs additional costs.

I like to read things on the pc, easily search them and carry them with me so I don't understand why the RM book is not made available in PDF format, the cost of producing the book and shipping immediately disappears. Before anyone says it I know piracy would possibly be an issue but I doubt RM users would indulge in that. The other thing is if the book did get pirated in my view it would generate more interest in RM4 as a product. Providing the book as a PDF file would also make it easier for Bruce to update as new features are added.

Evidence Explained is available as a PDF download and half the price of the hard copy, my only gripe with that company is that if one decides to pay the premium for the hard copy, I would think the soft copy should be provided for free as reference, after all the author and publishing house have already been paid.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root