12 replies to this topic

#1 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1355 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:17 PM

Place Finder would not load in my Vista Home Prem... So I copied the files over from my XPSP3 machine. Using Alfred's suggestion. Now I can put it on my screen, BUT click on search, and says "Search is disabled in Demo Version" ??? Map works. Checked the version and it is v1.2 Where did the Demo Version come from?????

There are 4 files. Loaded in Programs/Common Files/RootsMagic Shared/PlaceDB/PlaceDB.dat was done by the setup process. In Program Files/RootsMagic/ I copied the three files. exe; ...cdx; .dbf; [setup would not load these files]

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 = Researching the families of William DeCoursey/cy b. 1756 Baltimore Co. MD found father Leonard DeCause..

#2 lostinbrave

lostinbrave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:38 PM

Place Finder would not load in my Vista Home Prem... So I copied the files over from my XPSP3 machine. Using Alfred's suggestion. Now I can put it on my screen, BUT click on search, and says "Search is disabled in Demo Version" ??? Map works. Checked the version and it is v1.2 Where did the Demo Version come from?????

There are 4 files. Loaded in Programs/Common Files/RootsMagic Shared/PlaceDB/PlaceDB.dat was done by the setup process. In Program Files/RootsMagic/ I copied the three files. exe; ...cdx; .dbf; [setup would not load these files]

Any suggestions?

Thanks

You need to put in the cd key, to unlock the full version.

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1355 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:59 PM

You need to put in the cd key, to unlock the full version.

Good suggestion but there is no place to unlock and put in the key. Even in setting it up, did not give you that option. Guess that is why I am puzzled. Help screen does not give that option. Like it does it RM4. I know there is a Windows File that has those keys embeded into it. I am wondering if I need to find that on the other computer and copy that information over.
Genealogy:
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 = Researching the families of William DeCoursey/cy b. 1756 Baltimore Co. MD found father Leonard DeCause..

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5728 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:09 PM

It came with RootsMagic and is supposed to be installed with it.
When you put in the user key for RootsMagic, it seems to work for Place Finder too.
I disabled my Key on this XP sp3 machine by going to:
C:\Documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\RootsMagic\
And changed the name of RootsMagic.INI to !RootsMagic.INI and found the same problem with Place Finder.
Dropping the leading exclamation point from the filename made it work again.
SO! you need the RootsMagic INI file that holds the registration code to make the later versions of Place Finder work. (the ones which came with RootsMagic 3 anyway, the earlier versions of RootsMagic weren't downloadable so they were more easily enabled.

If you can find Place Finder on a RotsMagic 1 or 2 disk, it might work.
(I said MIGHT!)
Alfred

#5 lostinbrave

lostinbrave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

It came with RootsMagic and is supposed to be installed with it.
When you put in the user key for RootsMagic, it seems to work for Place Finder too.
I disabled my Key on this XP sp3 machine by going to:
C:\Documents and settings\All Users\Application Data\RootsMagic\
And changed the name of RootsMagic.INI to !RootsMagic.INI and found the same problem with Place Finder.
Dropping the leading exclamation point from the filename made it work again.
SO! you need the RootsMagic INI file that holds the registration code to make the later versions of Place Finder work. (the ones which came with RootsMagic 3 anyway, the earlier versions of RootsMagic weren't downloadable so they were more easily enabled.

If you can find Place Finder on a RotsMagic 1 or 2 disk, it might work.
(I said MIGHT!)

I would recommend just reinstalling everything RootsMagic on there.

#6 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1355 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:40 AM

Ironically, I did put Place Finder on when I put RM4 valid copy on my new laptop and it would not go. So Will try Alfred's suggestion again.

Thanks
Genealogy:

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5728 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:21 AM

Since Place finder did not come with RM4, the registration code for RM4 will not work. If you had installed RM3 with Place finder, the RM3 registration code should do the trick.
Alfred

#8 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1355 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:28 AM

okay when I did the update to RM4 the .5 one, I also downloaded the place finder right next to it and that would not load either. So..... any suggestions.....
Genealogy:

#9 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5728 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:28 AM

I am sorry, I didn't know you could download Place Finder by itself.

OR, do you mean you downloaded the "Place Database," from below the RootsMagic 4 trial version, which is used in the gazetteer within RootsMagic?
Alfred

#10 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1355 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:39 AM

on RootsMagic.com download page the two are in the same box. When I down loaded the new version. Thought I would try it again, as I had done it before that way and it worked but in XP PRO SP 3 on my other machine. So when I loaded it on the Laptop with Vista it would not go, just stopped part way through.... That is when I copied the files from my XP machine to this one. and got the Demo Version. So Vista could be my issue.

Have found no .ini files on the Vista for RM4, I am wondering if this is an issue for the support team. I know they are busy, and I can wait as right now it is not a priority.
Genealogy:

#11 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5728 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 12:00 PM

Right now, everyone else is talking about the patch and you are talking about downloading the whole program.
It had me confused.

BUT, I still think you are talking about the "Place Database" rather than the older "Place Finder."

I didn't get the RootsMagic 4 disk, but I don't think Place Finder comes with RootsMagic 4. It has been replaced by the newer Gazetteer, which is where the Place Database is used.

To get the Place Finder to work, you will probably have to install RootsMagic 3 and enter the registration code for that version.
Alfred

#12 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1355 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:06 PM

Thanks Alfred. I also did not get the CD. Don't like Gazetteer. The one place I was looking for was in the wrong place on MS maps.
Genealogy:

#13 chuckfilteau

chuckfilteau

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 02:06 PM

Good suggestion but there is no place to unlock and put in the key. Even in setting it up, did not give you that option. Guess that is why I am puzzled. Help screen does not give that option. Like it does it RM4. I know there is a Windows File that has those keys embeded into it. I am wondering if I need to find that on the other computer and copy that information over.

In VISTA the ROOTSMAGIC.INI file needs to be put into the folder at
computer > xxx(C:) > ProgramData > RootsMagic

You may have to use the ControlPanel / FolderOptions / View
and check the box that says "show hidden files and folders"

And, after you've put the ini file in place,
go back to the ControlPanel Folder options and Restore defaults of check the box that says
Do Not show hidden files and programs