• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PJG

PJG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

Why do the death certificate source details not appear every time it is referenced? If it's a persons death certificate - those details remain the same every time it is referenced.........

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:47 PM

Evidently you put some of the information in the source details part of the citation.
The source details only refer to that citation.
You can use the Memorize button when viewing that particular citation and then Paste it into another place.
Alfred

#3 PJG

PJG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:18 PM

Yes, the source asks for the name of the person on the death certificate. I guess I would prefer if it remained every time it was referenced, since the name does not change. But I see now how the memorize button works.

Thanks.

#4 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:28 AM

The source templates are set up to be generic and allow the split between the master source and the details specific to a citation. This allows the master to handle generic data about the source and each instance would include the specifics.

If you would like some of the fields that are by default in the details part, you can copy the template (Lists, Source templates, pick the source type, and click Copy.) Highlight the copied template ("(Copy)" is appended to the copy.) highlight the field to be changed, and click Edit Field. At the bottom of the edit field window, there is a checkbox, "This field is a source detail field." uncheck the box. Repeat for other fields as desired. You may also want to change the name so you can recognize it from the system templates. Click OK to save the changes.

You can now use the new template as a Source Type for any new sources of this type. Note that you will have to add a separate source for each certificate, rather than having only one (or a few) "death certificate" source type.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm