• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mew20176

mew20176

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:02 AM

When I download a GED file, I would like to create an RM4 Source and then Multi-cite that source into every person and fact. I want to go beyond Multi-citing the source and actually Multi-Cite the Citation. I was able to do this in Legacy 7 under Advanced Sourcing, but not in RM4. This would sure be better than Memorizing the citation and then pasting it into a 1000 people and their facts.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Michael Winters
mew20176@gmail.com

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:13 AM

You can edit the source to include the page number in the source so that it shows all of the citation details just as if you had entered them in the citation details.
Alfred

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3289 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:19 AM

Any thoughts?

The first desire can already be accomplished upon import of any GEDCOM.
The second sounds like an item for the Wish List.
What type of information, as a single source "citation", would you want -everyone- in your database to share?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 mew20176

mew20176

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:25 AM

You can edit the source to include the page number in the source so that it shows all of the citation details just as if you had entered them in the citation details.

Are you talking about editing the Source Template? Apparantly I would need to copy the template and then edit the new one?
Michael Winters
mew20176@gmail.com

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:43 AM

You can multicite a Master source to People, Events, People/Events when importing a gedcom.

The master source picklist name would be:
GEDCOM file imported on [current date]

Master source Footnote would look something like this:
GEDCOM file submitted by John Doe, John Doe@emailaddress.com. Imported on 10 August 2009.

If I'm importing someone else's gedcom, I change the generated Master source to meet my criteria and have all the information pertaining to that gedcom and that person in the Master source and don't need to go to each person or fact to enter Source Details.

Laura

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:46 AM

No, just edit the Footnote, short footnote and bibliography entries in the master source, either by going to one of the people's Edit Person window, selecting the source and editing it or by finding it in the List - source list and editing it from there. (edit the source name too.)
There is usually not enough information in the imported GEDCOM source anyway.
Alfred

#7 mew20176

mew20176

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:52 AM

I was asked:
"What type of information, as a single source "citation", would you want -everyone- in your database to share?"
Things such as Page Number, Dates, items that set a citation apart from the actual source.

I understand all of your suggestions and will test them out.

I am using the GED import as an example. I would like to do this with other Citations such as e-mails, books, etc.

If I recieve a file that contains a lot of people, facts, etc. I create a separate RM file for it. Memorize and Paste is tedious. I would like whatever method I use to appear exactly as though I were using Memorize and Paste or entering the citation separately. This would include the Quality rating information.

Thanks.
Michael Winters
mew20176@gmail.com

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2963 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:11 PM

I am using the GED import as an example. I would like to do this with other Citations such as e-mails, books, etc.

If I recieve a file that contains a lot of people, facts, etc. I create a separate RM file for it. Memorize and Paste is tedious. I would like whatever method I use to appear exactly as though I were using Memorize and Paste or entering the citation separately. This would include the Quality rating information.

I agree with this and it should be a wish. When I enter new individuals from a census return I enter between 7 and 10 facts.

I would at least like to be able to select multiple facts/events on the Edit Person screen and paste the same source/citation to all as all the information did come from that source. Pasting each one individaully is very tedious.

“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today"

Current user of Rootsmagic version 7.5.0.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 and Legacy 8.0 on Win 7

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#9 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

I am just getting started entering a mountain of accumulated direct research for my ancestor families. To make matters worse for me, I'm not knowledgeable on the conventional methodology and terminology.

A beginning exercise (don't like the printed results so must do it again) during the last few days has dealt with the 1809 - 1811 Virginia County Court Order record images for the settlement of an intestate death estate where there were the deceased mother, 9 children (4 under 21), and 2 husbands of children (one a ggg grandfather); a total of 12 people. There were 5 court records for the estate settlement and 2 subsequent different records for Guardians for the "Infant" (under 21 legal status) children at 2 per Guardian. A total of 65 cites using the memorize/paste method.

I used a source template one main source and 7 different detail cites. The multi-cite would not do anything with the details. There has to be a better way. With the number of families in 5-6 generations and the multitude of census, deed, birth and death, etc. records for each the task becomes huge.

Suggested strategies would be welcomed.