12 replies to this topic

#1 maginnis

maginnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:57 PM

looks like the last time i did a .ged export and import back into v.4, it duplicated every city, state, zip in my address list. it placed these values into the address 2 field. has anyone else seen this. more importantly, is there a way to undo this?

looks like this only happens if address 2 field is not populated. thank goodness it looks like no data is being overwritten, anyway.

i thought we had the .ged issues corrected by now. can we get a verification that the fields are being written to the proper place? i feel like i'm being damaged here and it's causing me to go backward to clean things up, not forward. how could we have not checked that a simple ged export/import will write data to where it needs to go. isn't that a simple routine that a programmer should be using? while i'm at it, my .lst file shows several scbk/ scrapbook errors. what's causing that? deleted media that's still showing in the gallery?

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:14 PM

I don't think that this has anything to do with the GEDCOM export or import.
It sounds more like a merge issue.

People merge, places merge, sources merge, multimedia links merge, but addresses don't seem to merge.

Unless I don't know what you are talking about.

I exported a complete GEDCOM of my database, then imorted it back into the same database and did an auto merge, leaving ShareMerge, SourceMerge and RepositoryMerge checked. (No use wasting time with SmartMerge when Share is faster.)

Everything seems to look fine except that all of my addresses are duplicated.
(Actually, I gained a couple of ToDo items, 7 Multimedia links, one repository, 38 sources, 264 citations, nine families, and over 1200 events, so the Merge is not perfect YET.)
Alfred

#3 maginnis

maginnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:41 PM

nope. i just reproduced it. just do a complete .ged export. then import that into a new blank db.

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:07 PM

nope. i just reproduced it. just do a complete .ged export. then import that into a new blank db.

What does that line tell anyone?

It sounds like you are trying to tell me that you exported a GEDCOM from one database then imported it into a new, empty database and ended up with all of addresses doubled in the new database.

Nearly all of my numbers remained the same, File - Properties. (Or Lists - Address List, or anyone's Edit Person - address )

(I did gain quite a few events and lost one place though)
Alfred

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3427 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:08 PM

I know when I compiled all my databases into one large one for reference I got lots of strange things appearing in the Place List, these were all inported via gedcom.

One example is:

Belfast, Shankill, Co Antrim; Residence: 43 Crimea Street

The information up to the semi colon is the original place list entry.
After the semi colon is the fact where it came from.
The information after the colon is what was originally in the description field of that fact. RM reconstructed it as above and it all now appears in the Place List.

Not sure if this is anything like you are seeing.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 maginnis

maginnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:40 PM

Al,
the 'address list' i'm referring to is under 'lists', 'address list'. this is the home address of a contact. upon import, the city, state, and zip fields are deposited on the second line of the street address (address2 field), unless that line is populated. sorry to be unclear.

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:47 PM

There is none so blind as he who will not see. :rolleyes:

NOW, I see it. I was looking for duplicates in the list, rather than a duplicate within an address. Sorry about that.

If there is nothing on the second address line, AND there is something in the City, State, ZIP line, that information is duplicated in the formerly empty second address line.

(Do you suppose the Post office would have a fit if that line was duplicated on an envelope? <_< )

Something else for the Magician to wave his wand over.
Alfred

#8 Laurie Nelson

Laurie Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:52 PM

Al,
the 'address list' i'm referring to is under 'lists', 'address list'. this is the home address of a contact. upon import, the city, state, and zip fields are deposited on the second line of the street address (address2 field), unless that line is populated. sorry to be unclear.

Maginnis, this probably doesn't help you, but maybe it will help the developers figure out the problem. When I exported a GEDCOM from RM4 and imported it into a new RM 3.2.6 database (because I refuse to use RM4 again until most of the problems are fixed), I lost 3 of the 5 addresses in my db. Luckily there were only 3, so I went back to my old RM3 database & added them to my new RM3 db. I would have been really upset if I had lost more. There were some other problems in the RM4 > RM3 export that I also had to fix.
Laurie Nelson

#9 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:25 AM

This will be fixed in the next update.
RootsMagician

#10 Searcher

Searcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

This will be fixed in the next update.

Is it reasonable to ask if we could know what is expected to be in the next update, and approximately how far away that update is expected to be released? There has been traffic today on the RootsMagic Users mail list about the same interest in knowing what is, or is not, going on.

#11 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:57 AM

Of course, it doesn't hurt to ask, but the RootsMagician has typically kept things pretty close to the vest in the past on these types of things. As in a few posts above, he'll sometimes indicate within a thread if an item will be fixed in an upcoming update. I suspect that providing an expected date adds extra pressure in the event that programming ends up taking longer than initially supposed, which may discourage the practice.

#12 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:14 PM

I'd rather have Bruce spending the time programming rather than telling us what is being worked on step by step.

Laura

#13 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3427 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:21 PM

I'd rather have Bruce spending the time programming rather than telling us what is being worked on step by step.

Ditto, just as long as he is not on another cruise :D well at least not until V4.3

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root