5 replies to this topic

#1 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1647 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:43 AM

Working in the Edit Family View, Birth and Death dates are on same day, but cannot move them. Do I need to delete them and then re enter in order of happening or ......
Also does anyone know how to activate the double click of the mouse. I miss that feature. I just switched to Vista, Home Premium and latest version of RM4. Thanks

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:58 PM

Nettie, use the sort date in the Edit Person screen. That date is not used in any reports, etc, but is just there to allow you to sort facts in the order that you'd like to see them appear. In RM3, I believe that you could've edited one or the other fact to effectively move it in the event list ordering, but don't think that it behaves that way in RM4.

#3 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1647 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:12 PM

Nettie, use the sort date in the Edit Person screen. That date is not used in any reports, etc, but is just there to allow you to sort facts in the order that you'd like to see them appear. In RM3, I believe that you could've edited one or the other fact to effectively move it in the event list ordering, but don't think that it behaves that way in RM4.

I was doing it in RM4 and yes it did act that way, especially after I switched to Vista. Will learn and thanks for answering.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#4 Laurie Nelson

Laurie Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:54 PM

I was doing it in RM4 and yes it did act that way, especially after I switched to Vista. Will learn and thanks for answering.

This is one of my gripes with RM4. If I enter birth, death, and burial, and the dates are all the same (or just death and burial dates are the same), they sort correctly in RM3 but not in RM4. If I have exact dates, then for burial I just put after [whatever the death date is]. But then I have to take time to enter sort dates. If I only have a year or a year and month, I still have to enter sort dates. In RM3 that wasn't necessary. Big time waster! One of the many reasons I've gone back to RM3.
Laurie Nelson

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 10:35 PM

Laurie, I don't know that the facts necessarily sort "correctly" in RM3. If you enter the three facts with the same dates in the Add Person screen, I think that you're correct. They're probably sent/written to the database in Birth, Death, Burial order. However, if you were instead to add the same three facts via the Edit Person screen, they seem to appear in the order in which you entered them. If you subsequently edit any of them (or even just open it and click OK), that fact moves to the bottom of the facts with that same date.

You're correct that RM4 seems to have a different sorting mechanism both in the Add Person and Edit Person screens, however. If I enter the same dates for Birth, Death, and Burial in the Add Person screen and click OK, the Edit Person screen instead shows them in the order of Burial, Death, Birth. If I then go into the Burial fact and delete the date, reenter that date, and click on the Save button, the facts then show Birth, Death, Burial! If I then Close the screen and reopen it, the facts look to have reverted back to Burial, Death, Birth order. Just for comparison's sake, if I delete all three facts and then enter them in Birth, Death, Burial order, they appear as Burial, Birth, Death.

If I'm remembering correctly from some of the earlier beta testing, some alphabetical sorting issues at least seemed to result from the new unicode support, but I don't know if that may be at play here.

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:29 AM

If I'm remembering correctly from some of the earlier beta testing, some alphabetical sorting issues at least seemed to result from the new unicode support, but I don't know if that may be at play here.

I expect that Laurie will weigh in with her own response.
(for your heads up, she was very active in a discussion on the mailing list regarding this particular topic / received feedback about RM3's particulars and RM4 differences).

I pipe in only to mention that, if you have not already, you might be interested in looking at the -Date formats- topic in the RM4 Help file (lots of modifiers and qualifiers explained) where the bottom of that page mentions -Sort dates- and -Sorting events on the same date-. The effects of Unicode -might- relate to this unusual explanation from the help file:

"Note that 2 1890 will be converted to Feb 1890. If you find a date where you can only read the day and year, you can enter the date as 2 ??? 1890, and RootsMagic will sort the date after year-only (1890) date, but before a 1 Jan 1890 date."

:)

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N