Family Origins 4.1a

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rebecca_*

Guest_Rebecca_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2004 - 10:30 PM

I am not an expert on computer/software technology. I use software and go to others to for help or to fix it..... so here is my question.
I have used Family Origins version 4.1a for many years. I decided it would be good to upgrade the program only to find out it has been discontinued. I have no idea if the upgrades on later versions made any significant improvements from my version. If so which version was the best? or would it be better to switch totally to Roots Magics. or should I stay with what I have?
Please advise

#2 diamondk

diamondk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 06:54 AM

Having used various versions of Family Origins and now RootsMagic, I would say upgrading to RootsMagic is definately the way to go. Family Origins is no longer available and RootsMagic is so much better, it is well worth the ugrade.

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 01:59 PM

You can see the program in action by downloading the demo:

http://www.rootsmagic.com/demo.htm

It's about 10MB in size, so it will take a ~bit~ longer with dial-up (56k) users.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 Guest_Rebecca_*

Guest_Rebecca_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:15 PM

Thank YOU to diamondk and kbensOn

I have over 200 pages of geneology in Family Origins 4.1a, tracing several family lines. If I did go to RootsMagic how hard/risky is it to move all of my infomation from Family Origins to RootsMagic. It sounds like the two are compatable, but how much do I stand to loose if I made the switch. I am not interested in starting all over to re-enter everything. If there is download capability I am not interested if there is a potential to loose anything. But if there is no risk and RootsMagic would make my family tree development more enjoyable, then I am interested.
Please advise.

(by the way, if there is no risk, I would have some one else who knows/likes how to do this stuff do the switch for me)

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:53 PM

Anything that FOW 4 will export to a GEDCOM, RootsMagic will import with no problem.

The basics are all exported, but photo links, To Do lists and maybe correspondence lists arent exported, (If I remember correctly, It has been a long time ago, nearly 10 years.)

That's all there is to it,
In Family Origins,
File > GEDCOM export > Everyone in the database, give the file a name and a place to live.

Install RootsMagic,
Open RootsMagic.
Set the Options > Folders (tell it where to put different file types)
Import the GEDCOM file from FOW, you are asked if you want to create a new database, do it and give it a name, it will be placed in your choice for "RootsMagic Files"
A couple more options, and you should have it so you can play with it.
(AND, you CAN keep FOW on the computer too if you don't trust us, but I think you will soon abandon it.)
Alfred

#6 Guest_rebecca_*

Guest_rebecca_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2004 - 12:04 AM

Alfred,
Thank YOU. I will try RootsMagic and ask my friend to follow your instructions.
It is not that I do not trust, it is that I have a lot of research and hours input into Family Origins that would be very hard and time consuming to reconstruct.
By the way, I tried to download the demo that kbensOn recommeded but I got a virus warning so I did not proceed.
Thank YOU all again for your help!

#7 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2076 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 03:25 AM

Did the warning mention that the demo contained a virus or that it could potentially contain one? As far as I know, no one has ever reported getting any sort of virus by downloading the demo.

Obviously, you have to be the one comfortable with the decision of proceeding or not, however, so it's ultimately up to you.