#1 whomper

whomper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:52 AM

I wish that:

1. The splash screen would reflect the actual program version currently installed, including "fixes" and improvements -- e.g., 4.04.0, etc.

If the splash screen won't be improved, at least give us the option to eliminate it from the Start-up.

2. The update files had a better name that just "RM4Setup" -- it looks like all the others and isn't very good at suggesting which version it is, until we check the properties or hover the pointer... This is a little problem when having to replace the older Update file with a newer one... we can't tell just by looking at it, which version is going where...

3. Can't you offer just updated files for Updates, instead of forcing such a huge download? I have to go elsewhere to download these huge update files, and I can't often go that same day.

I also wish for World Peace, a wonderful woman in all respects, and less humidity in the world. Which will I see first?

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:26 AM

3. I always save the newest update into it's own subfolder folder under RM4 Updates.

In New Mexico, USA, we never wish for less humidity as high humidity is something we don't have unless there is a chance for rain. :)

Laura

#3 whomper

whomper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:12 AM

3. I always save the newest update into it's own subfolder folder under RM4 Updates.

Yes, so do I. That's why I ask for a solution in #2 in my Wish List!

B

#4 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:54 PM

I wish that:

[...]
3. Can't you offer just updated files for Updates, instead of forcing such a huge download? I have to go elsewhere to download these huge update files, and I can't often go that same day.

[...]

On dialup if I get a fast connect speed [rare event], it takes sixty to seventy minutes for a download. I can drive to the library, download to a thumbdrive, and return home faster. But Ohio libraries have a severe budget crunch and branch libraries are closing or have reduced hours.

The previous versions of RootsMagic did have smaller patch files for updates.

#5 Laurie Nelson

Laurie Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:19 PM

In New Mexico, USA, we never wish for less humidity as high humidity is something we don't have unless there is a chance for rain. :)

Laura

That's the truth, Laura. I live in Albuquerque. We got buckets of rain 2 days ago, for the first time in I don't know when. Whomper, if we get even a little rain, it's a time to celebrate. Maybe you should move to one of the dry states. I came from Texas years ago, and I don't miss the rain from there--except occasionally.
Laurie Nelson

#6 RMather

RMather

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:22 AM

I couldn't agree more with #1. That fading splash screen is really irritating & we need the option of not seeing it. You can get the version number under "Help", then "About RootsMagic".

I wish that:

1. The splash screen would reflect the actual program version currently installed, including "fixes" and improvements -- e.g., 4.04.0, etc.

If the splash screen won't be improved, at least give us the option to eliminate it from the Start-up.

2. The update files had a better name that just "RM4Setup" -- it looks like all the others and isn't very good at suggesting which version it is, until we check the properties or hover the pointer... This is a little problem when having to replace the older Update file with a newer one... we can't tell just by looking at it, which version is going where...

I also wish for World Peace, a wonderful woman in all respects, and less humidity in the world. Which will I see first?

#7 whomper

whomper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 08:49 AM

You can get the version number under "Help", then "About RootsMagic".

I understand that most often, there ARE ways of finding the info we need. My thoughts are that with our feedback, the RootsMagician can work out all these irritating things and tweak the program, to a point where he could get a bit of a higher fee (from new users, of course!) if he needs it, to offset his time.

But the reputation of having the Best Program (not just a Better Program) may be the Highest Reward! I want to help him achieve that!

Doing something the simplest and quickest way often removes irritation.

Then, again, I always have an opinion... just like... Well, you know...