• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mccray

Mccray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 10:56 AM

When I am editing someone in the "Edit Person" dialogue box, and I switch over to another program/window, such as Firefox, when I return to RM, the program is no longer responsive. I can click in RM and hover over things, and it looks like normal, however when I try to click it does not respond to anything. I then have to go into Task Manager and end RM. This is extremely annoying. I am using RM 4.0.4

Chris

#2 J. Alan Hatcher

J. Alan Hatcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:49 PM

I'm having the same issue. However, I found hitting the Escape key will close the Add or Edit window without saving it, so I don't have to exit RM4 completely. This can be very annoying when you're trying to add facts from a website and need to click back and forth to check the data.

When I am editing someone in the "Edit Person" dialogue box, and I switch over to another program/window, such as Firefox, when I return to RM, the program is no longer responsive. I can click in RM and hover over things, and it looks like normal, however when I try to click it does not respond to anything. I then have to go into Task Manager and end RM. This is extremely annoying. I am using RM 4.0.4

Chris

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:56 PM

I've noticed this behavior in particular when entering a new place name for a new fact. When I start typing the place name, RM4 starts auto-entering to help me. Part of the way through the data entry, I decide to double-check the data and click over to the webpage (I'm using IE8), then come back to RM4 to continue typing. I've found that if I leave RM4 with the auto-enter selections showing below the place Description field, then I have problems with lockups. If I hit Tab or Enter before going to the webpage, then I don't get lockups.

#4 JeffC

JeffC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:46 AM

Chris

I have the same issue when using Firefox 3.5, I switch to the firefox screen to copy some data with the intent of pasteing it into Rootsmagic note and the screen reconizes that I am clicking something but nothing happens. The only way out is to kill the process with Task manager. This has happened several times and is reproducable.

Jeff

#5 Russell007

Russell007

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:40 AM

Chris

I'm also having this problem. I too will revert back to RM 4.0.4. Thanks for the information.

Russell

#6 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:42 AM

I am having a similar lock-up problem, but it occurs with Firefox 3.5.x and any other program, not specifically RM 4.0.5, open at the same time. Moving the mouse pointer to a blank space on the desktop and clicking either the left or right button seems to reset things, but not always. Having to repeat this every time I want to change windows is a royal pain.
JohnG

#7 Gil Brooks Jr

Gil Brooks Jr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:27 PM

Also having the same issue here using FF 3.5xx, but unlike John, it is only with RM4 and is reproducible. Have to try the "Esc" option, think I tried everything else.

#8 Tvtom

Tvtom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:49 AM

Chris

#9 Leah

Leah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:50 AM

This happens to me consistently in the Edit Source window and the Gazetteer.
When in the source window, if I switch to any other application(to cut and paste details for example), I come back to RootsMagic and it will be 'frozen'. I can hit the 'Esc' key to back out but then I lose all my changes.

When in the Gazetteer, if I look up a place and then go to the online map, Rootsmagic appears to freeze. I can't seem to get out of it other than killing the application completely.

#10 Tvtom

Tvtom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:50 AM

The same thing has happened to me, many times. It doesn't always happen, but often enough to be annoying.

#11 Eric E

Eric E

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:51 PM

I am seeing the same issue any time I leave an Edit Window of any type to look at something on a webpage. I've gotten into the habit of exiting the edit window before going to the Brower but it's not as good as fixing the problem.

#12 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:05 AM

Hmmm! I just went through all of the described scenarios and could reproduce any of them. I'm using IE8 and RM4.0.6.

Jack
Jack

a posteriori