3 replies to this topic

#1 Penna_tmn

Penna_tmn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:22 AM

Can anyone advise on making a shareable CD of part of my tree? I want to make one for my son-in-law to show all of his ancestors.

I can't work out how to do this

Penna

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:15 AM

If you only want to include part of your tree, you will have to create a new database and copy just that part you want to use.

Create the new, empty database - File - New - give it a name(Out-Law ?)
Create a GEDCOM file from your main database of selected people
File - Export - Selected People-Select from List
Highlight your son-in-law
Mark People
ancestors and children of ancestors -- (You could do Ancestors and collateral lines, but if there is any connection between any of his ancestors and yours, you will get the entire tree. {Even if it's only your cousin's brother-in-law married a cousin of his.})

You may want to do another selection to add yourself with descendants and spouses.
Finish the GEDCOM file

Now, move into the empty database and import the GEDCOM file. Check to see if you have the right people there.
If you do:
Go to Tools - Create sharable CD and create it. You may be better off watching the screen to see WHERE it stores the files then burn the CD with the program that came with your computer.
---------
Good Grief! I wasted my time typing this.
I went to Tools - Create Sharable CD and pressed the F1 key and a detailed instruction page popped up.
Alfred

#3 Penna_tmn

Penna_tmn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:55 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jul 18 2009, 03:15 PM) View Post

If you only want to include part of your tree, you will have to create a new database and copy just that part you want to use.

Create the new, empty database - File - New - give it a name(Out-Law ?)
Create a GEDCOM file from your main database of selected people
File - Export - Selected People-Select from List
Highlight your son-in-law
Mark People
ancestors and children of ancestors -- (You could do Ancestors and collateral lines, but if there is any connection between any of his ancestors and yours, you will get the entire tree. {Even if it's only your cousin's brother-in-law married a cousin of his.})

You may want to do another selection to add yourself with descendants and spouses.
Finish the GEDCOM file

Now, move into the empty database and import the GEDCOM file. Check to see if you have the right people there.
If you do:
Go to Tools - Create sharable CD and create it. You may be better off watching the screen to see WHERE it stores the files then burn the CD with the program that came with your computer.
---------
Good Grief! I wasted my time typing this.
I went to Tools - Create Sharable CD and pressed the F1 key and a detailed instruction page popped up.

Not a waste of time at all Alfred. It was the gedcom bit that I couln't understand and now I know how to do it. Thank you

Penna

#4 BrianZero

BrianZero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:20 AM

Apart from creating a shareable CD is this the only way to 'Split' a tree ?
For example
Tree is 'Smith & Jones'
I now want make it into 2 trees 'Smith' and 'Jones'
Would a 'Save As' option be more useful / easier and then to cut out the 'Smith' of one and 'Jones' of the other.
[Holding onto the original Smith & Jones]

This is a well understood way of managing duplication/change

Or, would a staight Folder/File name change of a RM4 in Windows Explorer be recognised by RM4 ?
Would this enable work on a file split !!

Also do GEDCOM files include all Sources and MultiMedia

Brian