2 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3426 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:07 AM

I have merged most of my databases into one file for reference purposes but when going through the Place List I noticed several entries that I did not input in that format, entires formatted like the example below.

Belfast, Ireland; Residence: 12 Anytown Street

I also have some with Occupation formatted in the same way but I did not enter the information in this format so it would look to be something RM did, and I would like to know why.

Printing a sample of these entries I would seem to have a duplicate fact formatted in the way I would have entered it but I have not checked them all.

I don't want to go deleting these entries based on my sample search assuming the information is duplicated and I also don't want to have to go through them one by one checking before I delete.

Can anyone offer any explanation as to why RM would seem to have created these in that format. unsure.gif

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Laurie Nelson

Laurie Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(Vyger @ Jul 12 2009, 07:07 AM) View Post

I have merged most of my databases into one file for reference purposes but when going through the Place List I noticed several entries that I did not input in that format, entires formatted like the example below.

Belfast, Ireland; Residence: 12 Anytown Street

I also have some with Occupation formatted in the same way but I did not enter the information in this format so it would look to be something RM did, and I would like to know why.

Printing a sample of these entries I would seem to have a duplicate fact formatted in the way I would have entered it but I have not checked them all.

I don't want to go deleting these entries based on my sample search assuming the information is duplicated and I also don't want to have to go through them one by one checking before I delete.

Can anyone offer any explanation as to why RM would seem to have created these in that format. unsure.gif

This sounds like the situation I have encountered sometimes. But it's not RM--at least not RM3 & I don't think RM4 would do it either, although I could be wrong.

Have you ever imported a GEDCOM into your database? Or have you used another program besides RM in the past? Other programs don't always output to GEDCOM as cleanly as RM--or maybe the other researcher didn't put the data in the correct places or use the correct format in their genealogy program. In either case, that's probably why you're seeing these anomalies. I've even found an occupation or other data in the Place list.

You'll just have to clean up your database, unfortunately. I have had to do that periodically. But I've finally learned that it doesn't pay to import a GEDCOM, even a really big one. It actually takes less time in the long run to input the data yourself so you don't have to clean it up later. I didn't believe others who said that until the last year when I ran into a lot of problems with imported data.
Laurie Nelson

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE(Vyger @ Jul 12 2009, 09:07 AM) View Post

I have merged most of my databases into one file for reference purposes but when going through the Place List I noticed several entries that I did not input in that format...

I guess the obvious question is You or Not. Did you import those extraneous entries -or- do you specifically recognize/recall inputting those same strings of characters to some other part of RM?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N