• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Laurie Nelson

Laurie Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:40 PM

Please give us a family fact for "Immigration". Currently it is only an individual fact.

Also "Immigration" doesn't always fit the situation. In the past I used Residence to indicate when a husband and wife moved to a different location. However, it would be nice to have a fact called "Moved" for both family and individuals. When they move from one city to another, the Immigration fact doesn't really fit. For now, I have created 2 custom facts (one for family, one for individuals) called "Moved" to cover these situations.

Question:
Why are Facts being called "Fact Types" in RM4? huh.gif

Added: Could someone please tell me why my signature isn't displaying correctly? I selected my name & then chose the font, size, & color. The results aren's what I expected. Thanks.
Laurie Nelson

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:51 PM

QUOTE(Laurie Nelson @ Jul 12 2009, 01:40 AM) View Post
Question: Why are Facts being called "Fact Types" in RM4? huh.gif
All previous versions of RootsMagic and Family Origins referred to them as Fact Types. wink.gif

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Laurie Nelson

Laurie Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE(kbens0n @ Jul 11 2009, 11:51 PM) View Post

All previous versions of RootsMagic and Family Origins referred to them as Fact Types. wink.gif

You're absolutely right. I should have known not to post that question last night when I was too tired to think straight. It makes sense. A list of facts would include all facts created in a database, while the list I was looking at is a list of the types of facts. blink.gif

Laurie Nelson

#4 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:34 PM

Laurie,
You can easily add those new family Fact types to your datebase. When you create the new fact type, you can copy the sentence template from the Individual fact type to use for the Family fact type (do it before starting to Design the new fact type). Then all you need to do is change the field [person] to [couple]. Of course you can add any further changes you would like to see. As an example, I've changed the Immigration fact type from:
[person] immigrated< [Date]>< to [Place:plain]>< [PlaceDetails]>.
to
[person] immigrated< to [Desc]> arriving< [PlaceDetails]>< [place]>< [Date]>.

For what it's worth, I went another route and added the role of [wife] to these types of facts, and add " and [wife]" to the sentence when the wife is included, as in:
[person] and [wife] immigrated< to [Desc]> arriving< [PlaceDetails]>< [place]>< [Date]>.

I do this because I prefer to have all the fact for a person within their individual biography, rather than having some in the individual biography and others appearing with the relationship-type facts (i.e. engagement, marriage, annulment, separation, divorce, etc.) But that is just my preference.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#5 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:36 PM

<b>Added: </b>Could someone please tell me why my signature isn't displaying correctly? I selected my name & then chose the font, size, & color. The results aren's what I expected. Thanks.

Did you click Save Changes? It is down near the bottom of the screen. When you do this, the signature will appear on the screen above the edit signature field.
-----------
Bill Bienia

#6 Laurie Nelson

Laurie Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:24 PM

Did you click Save Changes? It is down near the bottom of the screen. When you do this, the signature will appear on the screen above the edit signature field.

Yes, I did. After I posted my original email asking about my signature, I even went back and tried numerous times again to get it to work. Just now I finally got it to work (now that the board has been udpdated).

Thanks for the reply.
Laurie Nelson

#7 Laurie Nelson

Laurie Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:30 PM

Laurie,
You can easily add those new family Fact types to your datebase. When you create the new fact type, you can copy the sentence template from the Individual fact type to use for the Family fact type (do it before starting to Design the new fact type). Then all you need to do is change the field [person] to [couple]. Of course you can add any further changes you would like to see. As an example, I've changed the Immigration fact type from:
[person] immigrated< [Date]>< to [Place:plain]>< [PlaceDetails]>.
to
[person] immigrated< to [Desc]> arriving< [PlaceDetails]>< [place]>< [Date]>.

For what it's worth, I went another route and added the role of [wife] to these types of facts, and add " and [wife]" to the sentence when the wife is included, as in:
[person] and [wife] immigrated< to [Desc]> arriving< [PlaceDetails]>< [place]>< [Date]>.

I do this because I prefer to have all the fact for a person within their individual biography, rather than having some in the individual biography and others appearing with the relationship-type facts (i.e. engagement, marriage, annulment, separation, divorce, etc.) But that is just my preference.

Thanks for the information, Bill. I don't use RM4 currently, but I did want a MOVE fact for when I go back to it. In RM3 I created a custom MOVE fact (individual and family). I like your idea of keeping facts in each individual's biography. I'll have to think about that for future use. Personally, though, I found using roles too cumbersome for me, so I don't know if I'll ever use that feature.
Laurie Nelson

#8 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for the information, Bill. I don't use RM4 currently, but I did want a MOVE fact for when I go back to it. In RM3 I created a custom MOVE fact (individual and family). I like your idea of keeping facts in each individual's biography. I'll have to think about that for future use. Personally, though, I found using roles too cumbersome for me, so I don't know if I'll ever use that feature.

If you have the custom facts defined in RM3, they will import into RM4. No need to add to RM4 if importing. After the import you may wish to review and custom fact types to a) confirm sentence template, and B) take advantage of new field options in RM4.
-----------
Bill Bienia