• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 yazoogent

yazoogent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:04 AM

Alfred and any others that have been helping me up date to RM4 the last couple of weeks: I have not given up on finding my files since my PC hard drive was erased. I went back and followed the directions all of you have given me and I have found the files with my data in them. Now I need additonal info on how to let RM4 find them. I went to the search mode on my PC, then all files and folders area. The last file to come up was called: Roots Magic, 9/7/2005, short cut, (folder) pictures. When I clicked on that my data was there--all of my family names!!! Now why RM4 will not pick that file up I don't know. Where do I go from here? How will I be able to move this file info into RM4? Alfred, the reason I started a new thread from the old one was because I was hoping you would see this new posting and respond rather than going to the old one. With my work schedule it may be a couple of days before I get back with you very nice people so bear with me. TtHANK YOU Joe

#2 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:39 AM

I wish there were a way to glue this post onto to your last post
which continued from this one, I think.

~ Debbie

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 01:46 AM

Joe, no worries. Even if you post to an older thread, it sorts to the top and can be readily seen.

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:49 AM

It sounds like you found a shortcut.
Right click on it and select properties.
It will give you the Target which would be either your database or the RootsMagic program itself.
If it points to a rmg file, it should tell you where your database is.
If it points to the program, RootsMagic.exe, then the database is auto loading when the program opens. and the location should be on the title bar.
That is, if you mean it opened RootsMagic so you could see the data.

AND KEEP this thread together, I told you last time, I don't remember what we have gone through before and have to search out the other three threads to try and figure it out.
Alfred

#5 yazoogent

yazoogent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:24 PM

Ok. when I went to the file and went to properties. It points to RootsMagic.exe I am not sure where/what the title bar is though. It did give me the option to "open" the file, which I did and the info appeared in a side bar. Joe

#6 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:15 PM

What happens if you click on someone in that sidebar?
Or, if you click on the magnifying glass tool?
Alfred

#7 yazoogent

yazoogent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jul 3 2009, 08:15 PM) View Post

What happens if you click on someone in that sidebar?
Or, if you click on the magnifying glass tool?

When I go to the roots magic file and double click on it with L mouse button the program opens up and all of my info is there. The program continuse by asking if I want to continue using the trial version or do I want to purchase RM. I have RM 4 already loaded into my PC with the code sent by RM. Joe

#8 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 02:29 AM

You should get a chance to choose to unlock the full version by entering your user name and key code on that "Welcome to RootsMagic" window.
Alfred

#9 yazoogent

yazoogent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 07:27 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jul 4 2009, 03:29 AM) View Post

You should get a chance to choose to unlock the full version by entering your user name and key code on that "Welcome to RootsMagic" window.

First off, Alfred, thank you for all your help. I went to the file that we have been talking about and opened it and filled out the key info, etc. and then went to RM website and registered for RM 4. I closed all of this out then went to my desk top RM4 and opened it and guess what still no info. I then went to file and clicked on import. The program ran through and still no info would come up on RM 4. Also the file I found with RM (pictures) that I have been using did not show up either. Joe

#10 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 11:32 AM

A while back, you said that you saw the information in the sidebar.

What happened to that? you should be able to click on someone in that sidebar and they will show up in one of the main views, Pedigree, Family, Descendant or People.

Once you get the RootsMagic program running on your computer, you have to go to the File menu and OPEN your family database.

If you have been having problems, you have probably created more than one database so you may have to use RootsMagic's "Search for a file" feature there.

---------------
Windows allows you to double click on a program and open that program, then you can load your date.
OR you can double clidk on most data and, if the file association is set, your data calls the program it uses, opens it and loads itself into it.

It sounds like you sometimes choose to open the RootsMagic program and other times choose the family database to load and open into RootsMagic.

There is an option in RootsMagic, Tools -- Options -- Program Options, that if checked will, upon opening RootsMagic open the database(s) which were loaded when you last closed the program.

If you have ever had your information showing in RootsMagic OPEN it, you DO NOT import it again. If you import again, you will probably end up with duplicates.
Alfred

#11 yazoogent

yazoogent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jul 4 2009, 12:32 PM) View Post

A while back, you said that you saw the information in the sidebar.

What happened to that? you should be able to click on someone in that sidebar and they will show up in one of the main views, Pedigree, Family, Descendant or People.

Once you get the RootsMagic program running on your computer, you have to go to the File menu and OPEN your family database.

If you have been having problems, you have probably created more than one database so you may have to use RootsMagic's "Search for a file" feature there.

---------------
Windows allows you to double click on a program and open that program, then you can load your date.
OR you can double clidk on most data and, if the file association is set, your data calls the program it uses, opens it and loads itself into it.

It sounds like you sometimes choose to open the RootsMagic program and other times choose the family database to load and open into RootsMagic.

There is an option in RootsMagic, Tools -- Options -- Program Options, that if checked will, upon opening RootsMagic open the database(s) which were loaded when you last closed the program.

If you have ever had your information showing in RootsMagic OPEN it, you DO NOT import it again. If you import again, you will probably end up with duplicates.

Alfred, is there any way we can "talk" without using this forum as we will never get this settled if we don,t. Joe

#12 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3493 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE(yazoogent @ Jul 5 2009, 02:48 AM) View Post

Alfred, is there any way we can "talk" without using this forum as we will never get this settled if we don,t. Joe

Joe's problem was RM4 throwing out errors, when attempting to import RM3 databases... until the privilege Run As Administrator was enabled for the executable.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N