• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 lostnfog

lostnfog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:25 PM

My computer crashed and has some corrupt dlls and I a stuck on my sons computer and need help! When the computer popped up a screen saying dlls are corrupt and certain programs wont open I went to rootsmagic to see if it was ok....it opened but would show no people.
ooops, I should not have done that. Too late. Now I Have rmg and database files but rmg was corrupted and wont open the files.
We can see the files and the large size of them but we can not access them because the rg file has been corrupted. If there any way to put the data files back in to an rmg again so that I can see them?
Please please help!

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:15 PM

All of the trouble happened on your computer?
The crash, missing Dll files, you opened RootsMagic and saw no people.
Did you open an empty database or is it just that gray blank screen showing no blank boxess for people?

Now you are using your son's computer, installed RootsMagic there and copied your database files to it and they won't open?

Did you copy all 35 files of the database? (Each database has 35 related files, the RMG file is only the beginning)

And, I suppose you never made a backup file.
If you did, it would be a single file with the ZIP extension which you could RESTORE on your son's computer.
Alfred

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2078 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 02:22 PM

I'm also having a little trouble envisioning exactly what's happening.

Were you expecting for your database to come up automatically on your machine when you opened RM3, as it likely did normally? Are you saying that you then tried to open your database file on your machine via File > Open and that it didn't work, either? If that's the case, did you get an error message upon trying to open, or did the database open, but no people existed within that database? If it opened, the name of the database should appear in the title bar.

As Alfred mentioned, if your machine isn't going to be stable, but you don't have a current backup of your files from your machine to restore on your son's, you'll have to copy all relevant files and directories and place them in the corresponding ones on his to pick up work from there. A backup would be much easier since it zips up most of the relevant files. Don't forget to grab the multimedia files/directories if you have any, as well, since they don't get pulled into the backup.

If we're misinterpreting what you've done or are attempting to do, please try to list all the steps you've taken and note anything worthy of mention.

#4 lostnfog

lostnfog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:06 PM

Windows did an automatic update like it usually does, then a window popped up and said windows update complete reboot computer so I did. When it cam back on a small error window popped up saying a dll file had been corrupted and wouldnt work. Have taken computer to 3 different people and no one understands it. After that I opened the RootsMagic and it showed no people. The rmf file is corrupt now.
I moved thw whole rootsmagic to another computer...just copied and pasted...
and 2 other files I had still worked but not the large whole file that I opened. Opening it messed up the rmg file that indexes all the info.
The information files are still all there and okay.
What I really would like to know is, can whomever made the program, take the other files, the .cdx, .dbf, . fpt files and somehow put them back into an rmg so that it will work and show all the people and info again??
Pretty please :-)

I have 8 computers here. I had rootsmagic on my new laptop with vista64. We now know the problem with the computer. We just would like to find a way, pay or whatever and have the program with people back.

I have tried to plug in the files on another computer (copy all relevant files and directories and place them in the corresponding ones) and we can not get this to work.
If any one can help I would be willing to pay if someone could get this to work!

Lost Leni

QUOTE(Romer @ Jun 30 2009, 04:22 PM) View Post

I'm also having a little trouble envisioning exactly what's happening.

Were you expecting for your database to come up automatically on your machine when you opened RM3, as it likely did normally? Are you saying that you then tried to open your database file on your machine via File > Open and that it didn't work, either? If that's the case, did you get an error message upon trying to open, or did the database open, but no people existed within that database? If it opened, the name of the database should appear in the title bar.

As Alfred mentioned, if your machine isn't going to be stable, but you don't have a current backup of your files from your machine to restore on your son's, you'll have to copy all relevant files and directories and place them in the corresponding ones on his to pick up work from there. A backup would be much easier since it zips up most of the relevant files. Don't forget to grab the multimedia files/directories if you have any, as well, since they don't get pulled into the backup.

If we're misinterpreting what you've done or are attempting to do, please try to list all the steps you've taken and note anything worthy of mention.

I am sorry to say that I am the idiot that forgot to make a backup file since January and my hubby estimates we have added about 4 thousand folks since then. And yes I now better. And yes I have been smacking myself. I do have a copy of all of the files. Yes. I have tired.
If anyone can take them and make a gedcom file I would praise them for ever and pay if need be.

Lost sad Leni

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jun 30 2009, 12:15 AM) View Post

All of the trouble happened on your computer?
The crash, missing Dll files, you opened RootsMagic and saw no people.
Did you open an empty database or is it just that gray blank screen showing no blank boxess for people?

Now you are using your son's computer, installed RootsMagic there and copied your database files to it and they won't open?

Did you copy all 35 files of the database? (Each database has 35 related files, the RMG file is only the beginning)

And, I suppose you never made a backup file.
If you did, it would be a single file with the ZIP extension which you could RESTORE on your son's computer.

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:19 PM

Just exactly what is it that makes you think that it is the rmg file that is messed up?

I just swapped the names of two rmg files and then opened both of the databases with no obvious problems.
(I wouldn't recommend it, but I didn't notice any problems right off the bat.)
Alfred

#6 lostnfog

lostnfog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:14 PM

so you are saying you wont help me correct.

when I try swapping rmg files nothing opens.
I can read the database files on excel and everything is there but the main file is not indexing the information.
I just need to know if someone ca help me please. Not just make me cry more.

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jun 30 2009, 08:19 PM) View Post

Just exactly what is it that makes you think that it is the rmg file that is messed up?

I just swapped the names of two rmg files and then opened both of the databases with no obvious problems.
(I wouldn't recommend it, but I didn't notice any problems right off the bat.)

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:00 PM

I have been trying to help you but you seem to know more about it that I do and are trying to keep it a secret.

I do not think there is any index in the rmg file, only the database options as far as I can tell.
Alfred

#8 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:32 PM

What's the connection between excel and RM?

Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#9 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:48 PM

You CAN open the RootsMagic DBF files in Excel and see what is in them.
BUT DON'T EVER SAVE ONE FROM EXCEL!
Alfred

#10 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3476 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jun 30 2009, 11:00 PM) View Post

I have been trying to help you but you seem to know more about it that I do and are trying to keep it a secret.

In all my years, I don't believe I've ever seen the correlation explained in any detail. Each .RMG file is virtually identical (full of null characters and equal in filesize) except for the first N number of bytes.

Irregardless, this forum is 99.9% user driven and no one here has the capability to reconstruct or even answer whether it's possible. I'd venture a guess that such a service may not be offered (despite the willingness to pay) especially in light of the recent new release consuming all the programmers' time. You could and should, of course, attempt by Submitting A Ticket at the Technical Support section of the site here:

http://support.roots...in/Default.aspx

Good Luck!
BTW, in the future... alternate backups (in duplicate disparate locations and storage types) are your only real protection (as you've admitted).

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#11 lostnfog

lostnfog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:43 AM

All I know is the cdx,dbf,fpt files have size to them and the rmg size is zero.
I was hoping someone one the support forum could help me put the program back together to working condition. I dont have a recent back up and have already kicked my self in the buttock because yes I know better. I am human I mad a mistake I was hoping for help but it seems it is not possible. I will have to keep trying. If I ever figure it out I will post it here.
sad.gif

#12 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:15 AM

If the RMG file size is zero, it got wiped out some way.

Try this:
RE-NAME that RMG file by adding some character just before the period.
Create a new, empty database.
RENAME that new database's RMG file to what the old database HAD
-- You will have 34 other files from the new database that you can delete. --

NOW, try opening that database with the newly renamed rmg file.
Alfred

#13 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3476 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE(lostnfog @ Jul 1 2009, 12:43 PM) View Post

I dont have a recent back up...

I feel your pain. From what you said above, I would be remiss if I didn't at least ask the following:

If you DO have a backup of THIS database (no matter the age)...
Have you tried to extract only the associated .RMG from that .ZIP file and temporarily replaced the correupted one to what may result?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#14 lostnfog

lostnfog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:22 AM

yes

OMG we went through every file and can read them in excel and in the process we found another file wit zero value. It is the second dbf file in the list. In other lists this file seems to have loads numbers.
Now that I understand the rmg file, I feel this is why replacing the other file got me so frustrated. Now I know I must be doomed.
it is the filename_c.dbf

and others show numbers like
CHILDID N
FAMILYID N
RELATION N CHILDORDER N
3 1 1 120 1 2 1 2 1 22 3 1 23 3 2 20 3 3 24 3 4 2 3 5

I am doomed arent I?

sad.gif

Thanks for putting up with me

#15 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3476 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(lostnfog @ Jul 2 2009, 11:22 AM) View Post

I am doomed arent I?

sad.gif
Thanks for putting up with me

As far as directly opening those RootsMagic databases from within RM... sounds unlikely you'd be able to sad.gif

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#16 flneelys

flneelys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:10 PM

I had the same problem before and was able to fix my database by creating a new database and then swapping out a few new files with some old ones until I got a set of files that Rootsmagic would opened.  I wish I knew what file was the file that made the database readable, as I have the same problem now.  I have had no luck swapping files this time.  Rootsmagic 7 will import the old RM3 file but won't finish processing it.  I can even see the names on the screen until I try to work in the database then it shuts down.  I will try looking at my files in Excell now that I know I can read them in that program.

#17 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8638 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 08:20 AM

It would be best to restore a backup of your RootsMagic 3 database.

Renee
RootsMagic