• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Mccray

Mccray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:49 PM

Hi there. I notice an issue when I add a baptism after I have added the birth fact, and they are on the same day. The baptism ends up showing up in the edit box ABOVE the birth. I suppose this isn't a big deal but it just looks much better when the baptism is listed after the birth. I think I've encountered the same with burials and deaths, the burial coming before the death when they are on the same day.

Chris

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:00 PM

Changing the sort date will sort facts any where you want them on the Edit person screen or in reports.

Laura

#3 Mccray

Mccray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE(Laura @ Jun 24 2009, 06:00 PM) View Post

Changing the sort date will sort facts any where you want them on the Edit person screen or in reports.

Laura

Will that affect anything other than the appearance in reports/edit screen?

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:16 PM

Yes, it changes the order of facts in reports too.
=========
Woops! My boo boo.

Alfred

#5 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE(Laura @ Jun 24 2009, 06:00 PM) View Post
Had to test this as I didn't realize that you could fake a date via the sort date field if you had a real date available. sleep.gif smile.gif

Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#6 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 01:29 PM

Had to test this as I didn't realize that you could fake a date via the sort date field if you had a real date available.

When you have "real" dates, the sort date is automatically populated. However, RM (for the time being, at least) doesn't arrange any facts in any particular order. You must edit the sort date to control the order of items. (There have been requests in the forums and on the mailing list to have baptism sort after birth, and burial to sort after death.)
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#7 Laurie Nelson

Laurie Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(bienia @ Jun 25 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

When you have "real" dates, the sort date is automatically populated. However, RM (for the time being, at least) doesn't arrange any facts in any particular order. You must edit the sort date to control the order of items. (There have been requests in the forums and on the mailing list to have baptism sort after birth, and burial to sort after death.)

I reported this behavior--which I consider to be wrong--as a bug on May 2, but Bruce said I was lucky they sorted correctly in RM3 and that he would NOT change the behavior in RM4. unsure.gif

I'm not the only one who prefers not to waste time entering sort dates in cases like this when I don't feel I should have to. Others have emailed me off-list to tell me their dates also sorted correctly in RM3, even though they didn't use sort dates.

Maybe if enough people ask Bruce to set up RM so the birth, baptism, death, and burial dates sort correctly, even if they are on the same date and we only have a year or a year and month for the date, he will see to it that they sort correctly in RM4 without us having to enter a sort date for everyone in our database that doesn't have a full date. mad.gif
Laurie Nelson

#8 KenCRoy

KenCRoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:05 AM

QUOTE(Laurie Nelson @ Jun 26 2009, 03:47 PM) View Post

I reported this behavior--which I consider to be wrong--as a bug on May 2, but Bruce said I was lucky they sorted correctly in RM3 and that he would NOT change the behavior in RM4. unsure.gif

I'm not the only one who prefers not to waste time entering sort dates in cases like this when I don't feel I should have to. Others have emailed me off-list to tell me their dates also sorted correctly in RM3, even though they didn't use sort dates.

Maybe if enough people ask Bruce to set up RM so the birth, baptism, death, and burial dates sort correctly, even if they are on the same date and we only have a year or a year and month for the date, he will see to it that they sort correctly in RM4 without us having to enter a sort date for everyone in our database that doesn't have a full date. mad.gif

Sounds like part of the sort is not only date but alpha, since baptism comes before birth in an alpha sort and burial would come before death in an alpha sort when dates are equal.

This sort should definitely be considered a bug and fixed since baptism will never come before birth nor burial before death, unless someone was buried alive in a crime.

#9 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:05 PM

QUOTE(KenCRoy @ Jun 28 2009, 08:05 AM) View Post
..., unless someone was buried alive in a crime.
Edgar Allen Poe used that in a story once -- The Tell Tale ph34r.gif Heart ph34r.gif Or was that one of his other stories?

Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#10 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 07:07 AM

QUOTE(KenCRoy @ Jun 28 2009, 08:05 AM) View Post

Sounds like part of the sort is not only date but alpha, since baptism comes before birth in an alpha sort and burial would come before death in an alpha sort when dates are equal.

This sort should definitely be considered a bug and fixed since baptism will never come before birth nor burial before death, unless someone was buried alive in a crime.

These facts for some people sort baptism then birth when they have the same date (full, partial, year only, none), others sort birth then baptsim (similarly for death and burial facts.) It seemed in RM3 that it had to do more with the order entered than with anything else.

Even if RM3 dates sorted "as expected", when the data is brought into RM4, whatever made RM3 sort them "as expected" doesn't always seem to come along with the data--perhaps facts are read into RM4 in a different order than entered into RM3, etc.

Unfortunately, it is not that the sort for these particular fact-pairs is strictly alpha order.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm