5 replies to this topic

#1 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:07 AM

Many people go by / went by / were known by one of their given names, but not necessarily their first given name. In my family's history, children were given a first given name of a person in the previous generation and a second given name of the parent's choosing. The child usually used the second name throughout life.

I would like to be able to have a field option to access these other given names such as :second or :third so these "usual" names could be accessed from the "given" name field rather than typing in the name in the "Customize sentence" window, thereby losing the link to the actual given name.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:36 AM

With Alternate name, nickname, name find in the Explorer and the [Person:casual] in the sentence template, I don't know what you mean.
Alfred

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jun 17 2009, 11:36 AM) View Post

With Alternate name, nickname, name find in the Explorer and the [Person:casual] in the sentence template, I don't know what you mean.

I take it he means that if an individual is named William Jennings Bryan, but always was known in real life (by his middle name) as Jennings Bryan (and, apparently, that neither an Alternate Name fact nor Nickname field have been entered), he would like a way in the sentence structure to utilize Middle name(s). That's my guess. wink.gif

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#4 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE(kbens0n @ Jun 17 2009, 12:21 PM) View Post

I take it he means that if an individual is named William Jennings Bryan, but always was known in real life (by his middle name) as Jennings Bryan (and, apparently, that neither an Alternate Name fact nor Nickname field have been entered), he would like a way in the sentence structure to utilize Middle name(s). That's my guess. wink.gif
That is precisely what I want to access. (If you enter an Alternate name, you cannot access that in another sentence - only in the Alt-name fact sentence, although it would be nice to add Alternate name facts, and be able to use those names in ohter fact sentences, but that is another wish.)

In RM4.0.2.1, we have the following field options for names:
:first = first name
:given = all given names
:nickname = nickname
:casual = nickname if there is one, or first name otherwise
There is no option to get just the middle (second or third) names out of the list of "given" names.

What I would like to have is new field options
:second = second name
:third = third name, etc.

In the example above, to get his middle (second) name and surname, I want to be able to specify
[person:second:surname] and get Jennings Bryan. Right now there is no way to use the middle name in a sentence, other than typing it in.

Thank you for helping me clarify my request.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#5 Deebie

Deebie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:15 PM

I know what you are talking about. In my German family they had calling names.

i.e. Johann Christoph Heinrich Federmann. With the calling name of Christoph. It seems strange to see quotes around these already long names.

i.e. Johnann Christoph Heinrich "Christoph" Federmann. It takes up so much space in the index too.

I have started to go back and capitalize the calling names. I have a huge data base and it is tidious and time consumming.

i.e. Johann CHRISTOPH Heinrich Federmann, but I have found no other way around the problem. And I'm still left with the wrong names in the reports. i.e. Johann married.... WRONG!

#6 Laurie Nelson

Laurie Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:39 PM

QUOTE(Deebie @ Jun 22 2009, 05:15 PM) View Post

I know what you are talking about. In my German family they had calling names.

i.e. Johann Christoph Heinrich Federmann. With the calling name of Christoph. It seems strange to see quotes around these already long names.

i.e. Johnann Christoph Heinrich "Christoph" Federmann. It takes up so much space in the index too.

I have started to go back and capitalize the calling names. I have a huge data base and it is tidious and time consumming.

i.e. Johann CHRISTOPH Heinrich Federmann, but I have found no other way around the problem. And I'm still left with the wrong names in the reports. i.e. Johann married.... WRONG!

The way I handle this is to put quotes around the "calling name." (Mine are not German, but many are known by their middle name instead of their first name.) So instead of your example, it would be Johnann "Christoph" Heinrich Federmann.

Takes less space and a lot less time to do. Also your method can be confusing to people who are used to seeing the surname in all caps.

Hope this helps.

Laurie
Laurie Nelson