• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yazoogent

yazoogent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:04 PM

Once again I need someone's help. I have RM 4 downloaded on my computer. The other day I had to wipe my hard drive and lost everything (this has happened in the past and was no problem before). When I tried to download my info back into RM 4 I was unable to do this. I have all of my info on an external hard drive and am unable to move it to my main HD to the RM program. HELP If someone out there is able (and brave enough) to help me, PLEASE explain it as simply as possible to me as I just don't understand Vista as well as I should. Thanks in advance for any help. Joe

#2 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:07 AM

QUOTE(yazoogent @ Jun 16 2009, 04:04 PM) View Post
Once again I need someone's help. I have RM 4 downloaded on my computer. The other day I had to wipe my hard drive and lost everything (this has happened in the past and was no problem before). When I tried to download my info back into RM 4 I was unable to do this. I have all of my info on an external hard drive and am unable to move it to my main HD to the RM program. HELP If someone out there is able (and brave enough) to help me, PLEASE explain it as simply as possible to me as I just don't understand Vista as well as I should. Thanks in advance for any help. Joe

I didn't get brave enough to reply when you first posted, but I and others did reply over at your other post:
http://www.rootsmagi...amp;#entry27675

~ Debbie

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:01 AM

Now, this message makes it sound like you have a RootsMagic 4 database on the external drive, if that is the case, it's extension would be "RMGC", (only one file holds the entire database) where the RootsMagic 3 main database file (only one of at least 33 files) has the extension of "RMG".
Alfred

#4 Laurie Nelson

Laurie Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 09:22 PM

QUOTE(yazoogent @ Jun 16 2009, 03:04 PM) View Post

If I understand your problem, the reason you can't move your RM4 data from your external hard drive to your main HD is because you're trying to put it in the same folder as RM4. Vista won't allow users to do that. What you should do is create a folder on your main HD named something like RM4data. (If you still have RM3, it's important to use RM4 for this folder name.) Then COPY your RM4 file (which has the extension RMGC) to the new folder; keep the original on your external hard drive for backup.

Next open RM4 and tell it where to find your data file(s). To do this, choose Tools > Program Options. Then click the Folders icon. The very first box is labeled "RootsMagic Data files." Here you need to insert the full path to the folder: e.g., C:\RM4data\ (if that's where it's located on your main drive).

Note: I add another folder under the RM4data folder called "Data," another called "Backups," etc. If you do that, then insert the full path as C:\RM4data\Data.

Hope this helps.

Laurie

P.S. You might not need my full explanation of what to do, but I included it just in case.
Laurie Nelson