4 replies to this topic

#1 franjane

franjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:34 AM

I know that stepchildren and stepparents are not part of the genealogy of a family, but they are, in many cases a very important part of the lives and memory of a family. Both of my parents had stepmothers. They were both young when their Mothers died and their stepmothers were an important part of their lives and in one case the lives of their children. It is possible to include them in the database, but they do not show up in the reports unless they are listed as the primary parent. Then the report makes them the parent with no notation that they are a stepparent. I would like the option to include second (and so forth) marriages to be regularly included in the reports. I would like to have half brothers and sisters to be included in the reports. I would like to have their relationship to the stepparent included. This could be as a stepparent or as an adopted parent. My nephew married divorced women with two children. There is little relationship between his stepchildren and their father. The way I have the report, my nephew appears to be the natural parent. This does not seem quite right. I know that getting this done might be complex, but I would really appreciate this being done. It could be an option.

Blood relationships are important, but there step relations can be even stronger. Think about children who die before they have any memory of their natural parents. Often these individuals are the only relationships these children know. In later life, it may be stepchildren that take responsibility for the care of the stepparent. These relationships need to be recorded in the narrative stories. Please provide the option for them to be included.

Many of your users are not genealogists; they are people who just want to pass on the family history. The facts are important, but it is the family stories is what I want to be able to print out for the children and grandchildren. My sisters and I believe that we a missing much information because we failed to record or write down the relationships and the stories. Now we are tiring to reconstruct the information. I want these stories to be included in the printed reports, which seem easier for family to read than the shareable CDs.

Please consider working on ways to include easily stepchildren, parents and even grandparents in the narratives.

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:50 AM

A related thread can be found here:

http://www.rootsmagi...?showtopic=6367

#3 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:50 AM

I agree entirely with your sentiments; many of us want to create records of family history and the linking of all the pertinent informaiton concerning multiple marriages, step siblings, mistresses and (and I never thought I would say it) same-sex marriages into composite reports/charts etc etc would be an outstanding benefit.

It would be interesting to know what the split of RM users who are "genealogists" compared to "family history researchers" is?

But it does seem to me that all these facilities to record various type of events, media items and so forth are pitched more to "family history" than strict "genealogy" - so why not push forward and give us reportds and facilities on-line that will pull it all together.

I thinkg there are other threads on how the displays of the main Pedigree and Family tabs could be improved to, optionally, bring this information together.

#4 franjane

franjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE(MVS @ Jun 8 2009, 07:50 AM) View Post

I agree entirely with your sentiments; many of us want to create records of family history and the linking of all the pertinent information concerning multiple marriages, step siblings, mistresses and (and I never thought I would say it) same-sex marriages into composite reports/charts etc etc would be an outstanding benefit.

It would be interesting to know what the split of RM users who are "genealogists" compared to "family history researchers" is?

But it does seem to me that all these facilities to record various type of events, media items and so forth are pitched more to "family history" than strict "genealogy" - so why not push forward and give us reports and facilities on-line that will pull it all together.

I think there are other threads on how the displays of the main Pedigree and Family tabs could be improved to, optionally, bring this information together.

Thanks to those who are supporting my quest. I know that on the family page the relationship is shown as step, adoptive etc. However in Ancestor narrative reports the steps are ignored and on the decent reports the information about the children is repeated. I would simply like the step parent listed and perhaps a statement such as x was step mother for y and z. This could appear after the second etc marriage was listed. In a second marriage that occurs after the children are grown, the step relationship could be totally skipped. My brother in laws grandfather married a second wife age 19 when his daughter was 18. The daughter never told told her own children (my brother in law and his sister). They found out about it after their mother's death. Obviously I would not want to list the second wife as a step mother two my brother-in-laws mother. As far as I know they had little relationship. On the other hand, as i have explained previously, my mother and father's step mothers were a part of their lives. I guess what I want are the options and to be able to include second and third wives and partners as well as step children and adoptive children as part of all narratives.

Thank you for considering my request.
Fran

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 01:56 PM

I am with this request 100%, step relationships are becoming more and more common in modern life and there needs to be ways of reflecting this.

As a step parent myself with no children to my wife I added one of our cats as a child so I could create an ancestor report of both lines.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root