• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Laurie Nelson

Laurie Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:13 PM

1. I opened RM Explorer and click NameFind.
2. Typed a name--doesn't matter whether I type only a first name or a first name and a surname. Doesn't matter whether I initial cap or type all lower case.
3. Checkmarked "Allow Close Matches" and click OK.

NameFind does NOT find what I'm looking for. e.g. I type "Violet Lynna" for first name. RM4 did not find Violet L. I typed Betty for first name and Luster for surname. (I was looking for a Betty who had married a LUSTER.) RM4 did not even find Betty Jane Luster or Betty June Luster, much less the person I was hoping to find.

This is serious. It has happened several times, but I assumed the person I was looking for didn't exist. Today I found it really is a problem. I had planned to gedcom back to RM3 but I'm afraid of losing the huge amount of work I've done in RM4.
Laurie Nelson

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE(Laurie Nelson @ Jun 3 2009, 12:13 AM) View Post

1. I opened RM Explorer and click NameFind.
2. Typed a name--doesn't matter whether I type only a first name or a first name and a surname. Doesn't matter whether I initial cap or type all lower case.
3. Checkmarked "Allow Close Matches" and click OK.

NameFind does NOT find what I'm looking for. e.g. I type "Violet Lynna" for first name. RM4 did not find Violet L. I typed Betty for first name and Luster for surname. (I was looking for a Betty who had married a LUSTER.) RM4 did not even find Betty Jane Luster or Betty June Luster, much less the person I was hoping to find.

This is serious. It has happened several times, but I assumed the person I was looking for didn't exist. Today I found it really is a problem. I had planned to gedcom back to RM3 but I'm afraid of losing the huge amount of work I've done in RM4.

Are you saying that (when it happens) "select" search combinations OR "no" searches OR what do not work?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Limni

Limni

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:38 AM

I have the same problem. Checking "Allow close matches" appears to disable the search for exact matches. With box unchecked Name Find works well for me.

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:16 AM

The "Allow Close Matches" does seem to mess things up a bit.
Searching for Alfred. It finds a few Albert and A few Alfred and one Alvira, but I have three names in a row, Alfred, Alfred J. and Alfred Jacob. It only finds the first one of those three.

It seems to find any name the exact search would fine as long as there is nothing AFTER the name entered.
It will find James Alfred, but not Alfred James.
Alfred

#5 Laurie Nelson

Laurie Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Jun 3 2009, 05:16 AM) View Post

The "Allow Close Matches" does seem to mess things up a bit.
Searching for Alfred. It finds a few Albert and A few Alfred and one Alvira, but I have three names in a row, Alfred, Alfred J. and Alfred Jacob. It only finds the first one of those three.

It seems to find any name the exact search would fine as long as there is nothing AFTER the name entered.
It will find James Alfred, but not Alfred James.

That's good to know. I didn't try the search without "Allow Close Matches". I'll report it to tech support.

Thanks.
Laurie Nelson

#6 maginnis

maginnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:55 AM

neither one is working for me. even the exact search skips people and includes close matches.

#7 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:16 PM

Unchecking the "Allow Close Matches" box seemed to be working for me to find "Given name or nickname" of "David" in my database. I then tried it for "Dave", and it also seemed to work. "Dave"s weren't included as matches in the first instance, and "David"s weren't included in the second.

I quickly tried to do a similar search using "Surname (birth or married)", and individuals with a particular last name or married name seemed to work, but similar names were also found even though "Allow Close Matches" wasn't checked.

I didn't test for missed entries, however.

* edited to add that I just tried "Barb" for "Given name or nickname" with "Allow Close Matches" unchecked, and "Barbara" was found.

#8 Laurie Nelson

Laurie Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE(Romer @ Jun 3 2009, 12:16 PM) View Post

I quickly tried to do a similar search using "Surname (birth or married)", and individuals with a particular last name or married name seemed to work, but similar names were also found even though "Allow Close Matches" wasn't checked.

Romer, if I understand you correctly, it sounds like you're not using NameFind in Explorer but doing a search where you click Find and then specify the conditions. If so, you might want to report that to tech support. I only reported the problem with NameFind.

I also gedcommed (is that a word?) wink.gif my RM4 database back to RM3. It's going to be a long time before I start using RM4 again. Then I did some testing of NameFind in both RM3 and RM4. Interestingly, I found problems in NameFind searches in RM3 also.

I did several searches to test this and used both all lowercase and initial cap (which didn't matter) to be sure I didn't miss anything. In one test, I typed the name Nora. In RM3 20 names were found (including Elnora, Leonora, etc.) with "Allow Close Matches" not checked. With "Allow Close Matches" checked, RM3 found only 14 (none of them Elnora, Leonora, etc.). That's the exact opposite of the behavior I would expect.

With "Allow Close Matches" not checked, RM4 also found 20 (including Elnora, Leonora, etc.). With "Allow Close Matches" checked, RM4 found only 8 (none of them Elnora, Leonora, etc.). RM4 missed 6 other instances of Nora that RM3 found.

From now on, I'm going to do any searches using NameFind in two passes, one with "Allow Close Matches" unchecked and one checked--just to be sure.
Laurie Nelson

#9 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:38 AM

Laurie, I actually was using NameFind within RootsMagic Explorer for all the searches mentioned in my previous post. I also just went ahead and quickly did a couple of NameFind searches in RM3 and found some issues there, as well.

#10 maginnis

maginnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:15 AM

laurie,
how did your import to v3 go? did anything show up in your .lst file? just curious. i did a test several days ago after stripping out some .ged tags, but i still had lots of stuff that wouldn't come over.

#11 Laurie Nelson

Laurie Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE(maginnis @ Jun 4 2009, 08:15 AM) View Post

laurie,
how did your import to v3 go? did anything show up in your .lst file? just curious. i did a test several days ago after stripping out some .ged tags, but i still had lots of stuff that wouldn't come over.

Thanks for reminding me about the .lst file, maginnis. I thought of it last night but was too tired to look at it and today was even more exhausting. Yesterday I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the following:

1. Whether the data I entered most recently was there. Of what I could remember, it appeared to be there.
2. Why I had lost 59 places when I went back to RM3 from RM4. That turned out to be a good thing. Most of them were from an import of my brother's gedcom a few months ago (into RM3). 90-95% were not associated with a fact, and many were in a different format from what I use. So I deleted almost all of them and merged the ones I needed. While I was checking, I found other places I needed to clean up.
3. Why I lost 3 of the 5 addresses (again one was from my brother's data). Since I still have the RM4 database, I'll just copy those back to RM3. If I had lost a lot of addresses, I'd be very unhappy, though.
4. The only other thing I lost was 3 citations, which I haven't looked for yet. I looked briefly at the .lst file just now and saw a lot of citations listed, so I might wind up having to do a lot of checking and fixing those. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a huge task because most of the citations in the .lst are really important.

I didn't lose any people, families, sources, repositories, To do tasks, or multimedia. One interesting thing is that I gained 24 events when I went imported my gedcom to RM3. Haven't checked that yet. BTW the only tag I deleted was EVDEF. I used instructions I found from Alfred in one of the forum topics (don't remember which just now, but I copied his instructions and cleaned them up a little if anyone wants them).

I was really reluctant to go back to RM3 because of the possiblity of losing stuff, but I was so unhappy with RM4 that I finally decided it was worth the gamble.

What kinds of things did you lose? Were they listed in the .lst?
Laurie Nelson