7 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:32 AM

RM4 seems to remember whether the Side Panel is minimized or not when RM4 is shutdown, and it seems to restore the minimization/non-minimization of the Side Panel to the previous state when RM4 is started again. But it doesn't seem to remember which item was in the Side Panel at shutdown (Index, Family, etc.). I wish that upon restarting RM4, the same item would be in the Side Panel as when RM4 was shutdown, and that the minimization/non-minimization state would continue to be set the same as at shutdown.

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3425 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:57 AM

I believe the side panel opening on the Index each time would be the correct operation. How could it open on the family button when you have not highlighted an individual?

I notice resizing of the side panel is remembered which is good but for your needs why not just close from the Family View and have you starting view set to "Last from previous...."

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE(Vyger @ Jun 1 2009, 09:57 AM) View Post

I believe the side panel opening on the Index each time would be the correct operation. How could it open on the family button when you have not highlighted an individual?

I notice resizing of the side panel is remembered which is good but for your needs why not just close from the Family View and have you starting view set to "Last from previous...."

On the first paragraph, my database always does open to a particular individual, so opening in the family button in the side panel makes good sense.

On the second paragraph, I don't understand why there is any necessary connection between the View in the main panel (e.g. Family View as you suggest) and which button comes up in the side panel. For example, opening with the main panel in the Pedigree View and with the side panel in the Family button would make sense. But opening with the main panel in the Family View and with the side panel in the Family button could also make sense. The latter may seem redundant, but it is not redundant if the highlighted person has multiple spouses or multiple parents.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3425 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE(c24m48 @ Jun 1 2009, 06:13 PM) View Post

On the second paragraph, I don't understand why there is any necessary connection between the View in the main panel (e.g. Family View as you suggest) and which button comes up in the side panel. For example, opening with the main panel in the Pedigree View and with the side panel in the Family button would make sense. But opening with the main panel in the Family View and with the side panel in the Family button could also make sense. The latter may seem redundant, but it is not redundant if the highlighted person has multiple spouses or multiple parents.

I would agree and I understand your point and have therefore looked at this again.

It has not been important to me but I suppose if you are opening to the last view in RM and opening to the last person also, then having the sidebar opening in Family View for example (if thats where you signed off) would take you back yo exactly where you ended your last session.

So even though this has not been important to me in the way I work it does make sense to resume the program in a further session exactly where you left off previously.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#5 Laurie Nelson

Laurie Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:37 PM

I sent this suggestion back in April:

"Suggestion - Sidebar Lists [submitted 04/19/09]
Please allow me the option to choose which list I want to display every time I open RM4, so I don't have to choose it every time. This should be one of the database options.
[Ticket Number 011-117EA783-EFF2]"

I got this reply from tech support:
"I will submit this as a feature request to the developers."

I hope they will implement either your suggestion or mine. However, I consider it low priority compared to other things that need to be done.
Laurie Nelson

#6 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:47 AM

It would be useful if Rootmagic remembered this and a great many other "preferences"; such as window sizes and location and, when viwing images, zoom levels etc etc.

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3425 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE(MVS @ Jun 3 2009, 12:47 PM) View Post

It would be useful if Rootmagic remembered this and a great many other "preferences"; such as window sizes and location and, when viwing images, zoom levels etc etc.

I do believe and hope that these are on the list of fixes.

I know there are more screen sizes remembered now than in the early release versions but there are still some to go.

Add to that the columns which neither auto size or remember their dragged size on the People Screen, I am tiring of dragging them about.

And not forgetting the "Add/View" Media where the window does not maximize regardless of whether that was the last screen size you used - the Media doesn't fit to screen automatically when you do maximise the window and then RM asks me "do you want to save Modified Image" when I was only viewing it??

I don't know about other users but I don't primarily use RM for editting images. In the course of my workflow I view images, full screen as a lot of them are documents, much more than any editting work.

So I do wish RM4 worked as RM3 did except remembering the last window size you used to view media and stopped presenting me with needless prompts when I haven't modified anything.

Root

#8 MVS

MVS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:13 AM

Aboslutely with you on the image problems. I use images a lot (storing all my photos, census, birth, marriage, death certificates, wills, newspaper articles, diaries etc etc) and do all the initial editing and enhancing in either Picassa or Photoshop - all I want is for Rootsmagic to display them in a sensisble and consistent way - remembering my window size, location and zoom preferences.

With the current release I spend all my time 'clicking' to get something visible and it could be improved so much with some small changes to the code to remember this essential information.