• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 billbremer

billbremer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:58 PM

Why not allow users to edit citation detail text directly from the citation manager? The text is already displayed there and can be highlighted with the mouse.

Instead, one must first click on Edit, then click on More, then click on Detail Text before the text can be changed. Also, the format of the text contained within the box that opens after this series of clicks cannot be modified and isn't as readable as it was on the previous two screens.

I understand there may be some reluctance to allow editing directly from the Citation Manager but I do believe that a user should at least be able to edit the detail text from the Edit Source box.

Thank you for considering this.

#2 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 12:44 PM

I really dislike the "More" drop-down button in the Edit Source screen.

When I'm adding detail text, I have to go back to the More button to add Detail comments. This is a lot of extra clicking around. In RM3, it was a lot easier to get from the text box to the comments box.

If we could edit the text and comments from the Edit Source screen as Bill is suggesting, that'd solve my problem.

I say get rid of the More button for Source Details and open up all the fields so we can get at them easier.

~ Debbie

#3 Laurie Nelson

Laurie Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 05:10 PM

QUOTE(mapleleaf @ Jun 5 2009, 12:44 PM) View Post

I really dislike the "More" drop-down button in the Edit Source screen.

When I'm adding detail text, I have to go back to the More button to add Detail comments. This is a lot of extra clicking around. In RM3, it was a lot easier to get from the text box to the comments box.

If we could edit the text and comments from the Edit Source screen as Bill is suggesting, that'd solve my problem.

I say get rid of the More button for Source Details and open up all the fields so we can get at them easier.

Thank you both for bringing up this issue. This is one of the many reasons I went back to RM3. Another issue is that when I enter data in the Family Note, I have to exit and then go into the source dialog to enter the source information.

Overall, it takes longer to enter data in RM4 than in RM3. The tabs in RM3 in the Family Note and other places were so much easier and faster to use.
Laurie Nelson

#4 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE(Laurie Nelson @ Jun 5 2009, 06:10 PM) View Post

Thank you both for bringing up this issue. This is one of the many reasons I went back to RM3. Another issue is that when I enter data in the Family Note, I have to exit and then go into the source dialog to enter the source information.

Overall, it takes longer to enter data in RM4 than in RM3. The tabs in RM3 in the Family Note and other places were so much easier and faster to use.

Laurie, I'm not seeing a source dialog in Family Notes in RM4.

But RM3 did have more tabbed options: General, Notes, Sources, Multimedia, Address, To Do.

I wonder why RM 4 lost those options in Family Notes and Person Notes. I'd sure like to see those options return (comment for the WISH LIST). Comparing RM3 to RM4, the former was a lot easier to get around in when entering data.

~ Debbie

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:05 PM

In RM4, open one of the spouse's Edit person screen.

Highlight the person and the details for notes, sources, media, To Do etc. attached to that person's name are listed under Person details in the lower right of the screen.

Highlight a spouse. The details box changes to show the details for that family, Spouse Family Details.

Highlight the parents and the details shown will be the family details for the parents, Parent Family Details

I can add or correct a note, source, media, etc. to the family right there on the Edit Person screen. I can even add or correct family items to the parents record.

Laura

#6 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE(Laura @ Jun 6 2009, 04:05 PM) View Post
In RM4, open one of the spouse's Edit person screen.

Highlight the person and the details for notes, sources, media, To Do etc. attached to that person's name are listed under Person details in the lower right of the screen.

Highlight a spouse. The details box changes to show the details for that family, Spouse Family Details.

Highlight the parents and the details shown will be the family details for the parents, Parent Family Details

Laura

I was using the green notebook icon on the top row in Family view. Under that family/person note, there are no extra tabs for Source, Media, Address, To Do. I'm glad to see there's a way around it. I removed that green notebook off my toolbar to force myself to use the Edit Person screen to get at the family notes, etc.

~ Debbie

#7 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 03:25 PM

I guess it is all in how you look at it.

I was adding a To Do to a person and decided I needed to also add it to his parents family ToDo.

Instead of having to close out and go to his parents, I just highlighted the parents in his record and added the ToDo to their family record.

While I was at it, I also added a note and source to the parent's family details.

I never once had to leave the son's Edit person screen as I would have had to do in RM3.

Laura