• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RWells

RWells

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:06 AM

There is a field in the source details called detail ref. I use this field to reference the scanned image I have of the source.

I am trying to get this to print in the source endnotes at the end of reports but so far no success.

I have made a copy of the Birth source and trying to change it but can not find a field name to put into the source template but still no success.

I am using RM4 any suggestions on what I may be missing.

Thanks

#2 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:23 AM

I believe that was meant for a reference to a location in your files, and was not meant to print out.

Under More, there is a place to attach a source image to the details (or the master source.) This source image (or a reference to it) does not print out in foot/endnotes either.

There are options to display/print the Details text and Details Comment text, but usually the Details text is used by many for the actual text of the source, while the Details Comments are used for general comments.

Would the Details Comments be a place to enter that data, so it could be printed out?

You could submit a request on the Wish List if you would like to have this (including the Details Ref field in printouts) considered for a future update.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#3 Colleen

Colleen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:39 AM

I am encountering the same problem as RWells, namely, "There is a field in the source details called detail ref. I use this field to reference the scanned image I have of the source. I am trying to get this to print in the source endnotes at the end of reports but so far no success."

The only work-around I have found is to include the desired detail ref. information referring to my scanned image in another field that will print. For example, the information in Item of Interest prints and is specific to a single image in my digital file system, so I re-enter the detail ref. information in that field, e.g.,
Item of Interest --Baptism of Name of Individual (File #0123).

It would be much better if "print detail ref." in endnote was an option that users could toggle on/off via a radio button like other options presented for sources in the report feature.

If anyone has another option that doesn't require me to re-enter the detail ref in another field that will print, will you please post it here?

Many thanks!

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 11:17 AM

There is no other option than to put the file# in a place it will print if you want to do so. Hopefully, in the future it will be a choice.

I put the Media Caption along with any other private file numbers in the Source details Comment section for my use only.

I don't print the Source details Comments for other people. I doubt if my internal file#'s would be of use to anyone I might share a report with. In fact, they would probably be confused about what those file#'s referred to.

I link Media to the Master Source so I also put the Media Caption name in the Master Source comments section so that I have a quick reference list of all the Media linked to the Master Source.

Laura

#5 purnellkid

purnellkid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE(RWells @ May 28 2009, 08:06 AM) View Post

There is a field in the source details called detail ref. I use this field to reference the scanned image I have of the source.

I am trying to get this to print in the source endnotes at the end of reports but so far no success.

I have made a copy of the Birth source and trying to change it but can not find a field name to put into the source template but still no success.

I am using RM4 any suggestions on what I may be missing.

Thanks