• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan

Ryan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

Is there a way to add multimedia to RM without having it linked to a different folder on the computer? If for some reason the folder gets moved or I have to change computers, wont all the links be broken? Wouldn't it be better just to add the pictures to RM instead of just the link? Hope this all makes since and its not a stupid question, maybe I am just missing something...

Thanks for the help!
Ryan

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

One reason would be efficiencies, such as not needing to store the same multimedia item with respect to multiple people/facts. Storing just the link results in a smaller database size.

If you change the path for a particular folder, you can use Search > Search and Replace to update it in one fell swoop for any affected items. Choose "Multimedia filenames" under "Field to Search".

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3425 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:41 PM

Ryan, as Romer said the database would get very bloated, I personally have around 3GB of media and I don't want my RM file that large.

Another advantage to having the media linked is that you always have the original file on the HDD for editting etc in whatever program of your choice, where if it was part of the RM file you would lose that.

Believe me the RM way is best, FTM did it the other way and I was never a fan of it.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 Ryan

Ryan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:51 PM

Thank you Romer and Vyger! I guess I didnt relize it would bog down the program that much. I figured in the long run it would be easier to have it right in the program, but I don't want to sacrafice the speed of the program to get it. I greatly appreciate the input.