24 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:19 AM

I was up early, downloaded and installed the update and ran it through the paces. Most of the problems that I experienced with the original and subsequent updates have been taken care of. I don't know yet if I can trust it as my "go to" program over RM3. The next few days may convince me.

Jack
smile.gif
Jack

a posteriori

#2 Jim Belanger

Jim Belanger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:48 AM

The latest release of RM4 had significant improvements. Please don't overlook the TAB and ENTER keys. Let TAB go thru the fields and ENTER accept the entries no matter where you are in the data entry sequence. Avoid the data entry person from having to reach for the mouse to accept a page. RM3 did this beautifully while RM4 seems to want one to move hands from keyboard and reach for the mouse.
JIM.B.NH

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3385 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:50 AM

I read the list of adds and fixes, downloaded it and went straight to Problem Lists to see if the Edit Family button had made it's appearance, unfortunately not yet.

Quite a list of fixes so should quieten the madding crowd for a while at least, but I am still looking forward to those obvious ommisions being addressed to make the program completely useable.

Anyway a good body of work by our Rootsmagician and moving in the right direction.....well done Bruce & team

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 jgoldsti

jgoldsti

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:58 AM

4.0.2 seems to be nice improvement. I'm still testing to see which of the bugs I reported have been fixed, but it seems to improve speed so far.

Bruce and team, thanks for releasing the update. I realize it takes a lot of work to QA and test after you complete a build, but it really helps the users if you can release updates regularly rather than waiting to try to fix all the bugs at once.

#5 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:30 PM

Latest update was released today, RM 4.0.2.1.

Laura

#6 pjmpjm

pjmpjm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:26 AM

At first try, former complications in exporting a RM$ GEDCOM that is acceptable to RootsWeb seems to be solved. Am double checking right now. smile.gif

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au

#7 whomper

whomper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:18 PM

After updating RM4 to 4.0.2.1, how will the change affect RM2G? Will the RM program files on the flash drive need to be updated as well? How to do this?

Madding Crowd Member #something or other... ph34r.gif

#8 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3385 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE(whomper @ May 29 2009, 12:18 AM) View Post

After updating RM4 to 4.0.2.1, how will the change affect RM2G? Will the RM program files on the flash drive need to be updated as well? How to do this?

Madding Crowd Member #something or other... ph34r.gif

Just click on the RMtoGo icon on your desktop and it will tell you that the computer version is more up to date than the flash drive and give you the option to update it.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

It's now time for discretion, trust, patience and support

User of Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Historian 6.2.7, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#9 whomper

whomper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:09 AM

Thanks!

#10 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:42 AM

I'm still having difficulty with the slow reaction time of some screens. For example, when I click on a person in the Family View screen it takes 6 to 7 seconds for the ensuing edit screen to appear. Adding children takes as long or longer between the time I add the child and the screen appears to add information for that child. If I skip that screen, wanting just to rapidly add children to edit later, it may take 8 to 10 seconds before I get back to the screen where I can select to add a new child.

The Search/Person List screen is also too slow for me. I arrive at the Explorer screen quickly. However, reaching the Search for Information screen takes a good 30 seconds or more!

My initial thoughts blamed the slowness on the fact that the rmgc file I was working on resided on an external drive. However, when I tested that theory by moving the file back to my C: drive, I found no difference in reaction times for any of the above situations.

Is this a problem for everyone, or just me?! Is my 4gHz dual core processor and 4GB of RAM not enough to handle the program efficiently!?

If it is a known problem, has it been given a pretty high priority to remedy?

Jack

sad.gif

Jack

a posteriori

#11 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:00 AM

My response times are NOTHING like you describe. You might try setting exclusions for RootsMagic's folder locations, if any programs such as antivirus, search indexers, etc. are operating behind the scenes. I wonder if the same slowness would occur if you tested and compared RM4's operation in Safe Mode. That could point to conflict with some other Windows service or background tasks from other applications.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#12 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:55 AM

QUOTE(kbens0n @ May 31 2009, 08:00 AM) View Post

My response times are NOTHING like you describe. You might try setting exclusions for RootsMagic's folder locations, if any programs such as antivirus, search indexers, etc. are operating behind the scenes. I wonder if the same slowness would occur if you tested and compared RM4's operation in Safe Mode. That could point to conflict with some other Windows service or background tasks from other applications.

Good suggestion! After investigating some of the areas you suggested, I found what appears to be some sort of MS search engine that runs in the background. Since it was an MS product, I can only assume that it was installed along with normal updates to my XP system!

I haven't fully explored that piece of MS $%@$%, but it appears that it was causing my extreme slowdown. RM4 runs fine now that I've disable it. However, having said that, no other program, including RM3 was affected that way. I had long ago uninstalled the Google desktop search utility for the exact same reason, except that it slowed down everything on my machine.

Jack
Jack

a posteriori

#13 whomper

whomper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE(Jack @ May 31 2009, 09:55 AM) View Post

I found what appears to be some sort of MS search engine that runs in the background. Since it was an MS product, I can only assume that it was installed along with normal updates to my XP system!

Have you identified that particular program? What's it's name?

I haven't fully explored that piece of MS $%@$%...

You might also look at whatever virus is inserting characters into your words. As above, that word following "MS" is obviously misspelled - it's correct spelling is $%:# .

Just trying to be helpful... rolleyes.gif

#14 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE(whomper @ May 31 2009, 12:46 PM) View Post
Have you identified that particular program? What's it's name?
Looks like that would be Microsoft Update which adds Windows Search 4.0
I do not have it installed, BUT, I bet it has settable options to exclude certain folders and/or files.
QUOTE(whomper @ May 31 2009, 12:46 PM) View Post
You might also look at whatever virus is inserting characters into your words. As above, that word following "MS" is obviously misspelled - it's correct spelling is $%:# .

Good comebacker tongue.gif

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#15 whomper

whomper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE(kbens0n @ May 31 2009, 04:24 PM) View Post
Looks like that would be Microsoft Update which adds Windows Search 4.0

I recentlyswitched to WinXP Home Ed, and updated to SP2 level only. I avoided SP 3 because my guru suggested that because of my ways of operation, SP 3 would not benefit me.

So maybe that Windows Search was included in SP 3? I don't recall seeing it as a stand-alone update. But I tend to avoid all those huge, "helpful" programs if I can't get some testimony from my guru!

Wonder I search for it on my own 'puter? Hmmm...

#16 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 02:50 AM

[quote name='whomper' date='May 31 2009, 11:46 AM' post='27167']
Have you identified that particular program? What's it's name?[/quote]

I looked through my program apps I have blocked by firewall but couldn't immediately id the program. Seems like it was Searchlight or something similiar. I don't think it was Silverlight, however.

[/quote]

Darned checkspeller, er...spellchecker!
Jack

a posteriori

#17 whomper

whomper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:13 AM

QUOTE(Jack @ May 31 2009, 08:42 AM) View Post

I'm still having difficulty with the slow reaction time of some screens.
I don't know if this has any bearing on your problem -- but bear with me...
I have to use dialup (it's all that's available to me here). When I'm in RM, it seems to lock onto the dialer somehow - it doesn't execute it, just locks "onto" it.
But when I do get online, through any avenue/other program, and then I exit via that same avenue, I don't get the usual box about "Stay connected/Disconnect". The computer sees the RM lock and assumes that I don't want to disconnect, so it doesn't offer me the automatic opportunity.

For you folks with high-speed, who are connected all the time...
Would this "lock" somehow invoke your antivirus screens or firewalls, which impede the loading of new pages?

Just a thought...

#18 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE(Jack @ May 31 2009, 08:55 AM) View Post

I found what appears to be some sort of MS search engine that runs in the background. Since it was an MS product, I can only assume that it was installed along with normal updates to my XP system!

There is a background file indexing service that runs by default on XP. Every guide and FAQ I've read recommends that you turn it off as it tends to eat large amounts of CPU cycles at inconvenient times.

#19 whomper

whomper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE(Don Newcomb @ Jun 2 2009, 08:11 PM) View Post

There is a background file indexing service that runs by default on XP...

Do you know what it is named, how to find it, and how to disable it?

What are the ramifications of disabling it?

Inquiring minds want to know!

#20 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:23 PM

Indexing Service. How to disable Indexing Service.