19 replies to this topic

#1 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 08:46 PM

Tonight I'm getting a new error. When I try to create a fact list report I get "List index out of bounds (-1)" Has anyone else seen this error or am I the first?

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:43 AM

Don, I didn't receive this message when just trying to generate this report, so it may depend on your settings. What criteria are you trying to use?

#3 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE(Romer @ May 5 2009, 05:43 AM) View Post

Don, I didn't receive this message when just trying to generate this report, so it may depend on your settings. What criteria are you trying to use?

No criteria yet. I just opened the list report window and clicked on "Fact list" and "Create Report". That's when the error occured.

The history is that I had been cleaning up my dates so I generated several lists of facts with text dates. Then I copied the database to RM-to-go, went to the library. There I generated a to-do list. Made some mods to the database, came home and copied it back to my PC. When I next tried to run a fact report I got this error. The fact list report is the only one that creates this error. I tried a couple of other reports and they work fine.

#4 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:03 AM

I'm sorry -- I was trying to get at your report options. It sounds as though you may've chosen "Facts with text dates" under "Create a list of:".

I'd be curious if you receive this same error message when choosing other options for the Fact List report.

#5 Ken Funk

Ken Funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:55 PM

QUOTE(Don Newcomb @ May 4 2009, 09:46 PM) View Post

Tonight I'm getting a new error. When I try to create a fact list report I get "List index out of bounds (-1)" Has anyone else seen this error or am I the first?

Yes, I have received this error. In my case it was after an import of an RM 3 database into a new RM 4. From there I cleaned up some user defined facts and removed them from my database. After that when I try to create a fact list the same error occurs.

I did report this to support who couldn't make it happen so I sent a copy of my database. They then claimed they made it happen and that it was given to development to look into. Later I received an email from Bruce asking for the database in question because he was not able to make it happen. I responded with the exact steps and both the RM 3 database and RM 4 database as well as the series of steps to take. I even made a video of it in case he would like to see that. I have not yet heard back from him so who knows what is going on.

#6 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE(Romer @ May 5 2009, 07:03 AM) View Post

I'm sorry -- I was trying to get at your report options. It sounds as though you may've chosen "Facts with text dates" under "Create a list of:".

I'd be curious if you receive this same error message when choosing other options for the Fact List report.

What I had intended to do was facts with text dates but it didn't get that far. The error occured when I attempted to open the fact list generator where those options would have been set.

#7 wattshamp40

wattshamp40

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE(Don Newcomb @ May 4 2009, 07:46 PM) View Post

I also am consistently getting this error when trying to access the Fact List Report. It does not, however, appear when I click on any of the other List Reports.

#8 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:16 PM

This will be fixed in the next update.
RootsMagician

#9 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE(RootsMagician @ May 8 2009, 05:16 PM) View Post

For those of us who have experienced the problem; are our databases munged? Will we have to do anything special or will the program update fix our problem too?

#10 RootsMagician

RootsMagician

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:08 PM

There is nothing wrong with your data.
RootsMagician

#11 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE(RootsMagician @ May 8 2009, 07:08 PM) View Post

There is nothing wrong with your data.
OK, Thanks!

#12 Ken Funk

Ken Funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 05:27 PM

Oh no it was not. This is the ONE fix I was waiting for. Where do I sign up for my money back?

#13 Laurie Nelson

Laurie Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE(Ken Funk @ May 27 2009, 04:27 PM) View Post

Oh no it was not. This is the ONE fix I was waiting for. Where do I sign up for my money back?

Where do I get the latest update? When I click on Updates, all it says is something like, "The latest version is 3.2.6."

Thanks.

Laurie Nelson

#14 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:19 PM

In RM4, Click on HELP, then check for updates.
Alfred

#15 Laurie Nelson

Laurie Nelson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ May 27 2009, 07:19 PM) View Post

In RM4, Click on HELP, then check for updates.

Thanks, Alfred. A few minutes after posting my message, I got the newsletter announcing the update and D/Led it.

Laurie
Laurie Nelson

#16 Ken Funk

Ken Funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:06 PM

If only this little problem were really fixed. It certainly is getting old to have to delete a fact, export a GEDCOM, import it into a new database, delete the another fact when I finish with it, export a GEDCOM etc etc etc......

#17 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:31 AM

In RM4 4.0.2.1, I was just able to cause a "List index out of bounds (-1)" at Reports>Lists>Fact list like this:

Import RM3 Database in new database

1. Deleted 5 user defined facts

Created Fact list report at Reports>Lists

Created report with no error

2. Deleted many more user defined facts.

Select Fact list report at Reports>Lists

Click on Create report and get the error message

3. Go back to Lists>Fact types

Generate a report for the highlighted user defined fact.

4. Go back the Fact list report at Reports>Lists

I wasn't able to cause the error consistantly. Perhaps, I wasn't deleting enough facts each time.

I sent in a ticket and the report from the error screen.

#18 Ken Funk

Ken Funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE(Laura @ May 30 2009, 08:31 AM) View Post

In RM4 4.0.2.1, I was just able to cause a "List index out of bounds (-1)" at Reports>Lists>Fact list like this:

Import RM3 Database in new database

1. Deleted 5 user defined facts

Created Fact list report at Reports>Lists

2. Deleted many more user defined facts.

Select Fact list report at Reports>Lists

Click on Create report and get the error message

3. Go back to Lists>Fact types

Generate a report for the highlighted user defined fact.

4. Go back the Fact list report at Reports>Lists

I wasn't able to cause the error consistantly. Perhaps, I wasn't deleting enough facts each time.

I sent in a ticket and the report from the error screen.

I can do it consistently one fact at a time. Everytime I do it, I have finished detaching everyone from the fact. I delete the fact and try to generate a new fact report, crash, boom!

Due to the fact it takes time to go through person to person and move the fact info or detach them from the fact, I only work on it a little at a time.

Bruce already had my databases and the exact steps. The annoying part was waiting for over a month for a promised fix that never happened. I am glad that other people are having the issue.

Just for the record I made the error happen by importing from RM3, by importing a GEDCOM from RM3, By exporting a GEDCOM from RM4 and importing it into a new database, taking the data out of RM3 via a GEDCOM and importing it back into RM through and then importing to RM 4.

#19 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:14 AM

Tonight, I dragged and dropped my main RM4 database with all the changes I've made into a new database.

And I can consistantly cause the List index out of bounds (-1) error as Ken can.

Deleting facts with many links at Lists>Fact type list will give me the error message if I go to Reports>Lists>Fact list. Deleting facts with few links doesn't.

Unlinking facts from all persons from the Edit person screen and then deleting the fact will give me the error message at Reports>Lists>Fact list, and any fact I delete with links from the Fact type list after I get the error will also give me that error.

Note:
Printing any fact at List>Fact type list after deleting a fact first before going to Reports>Lists>Fact list seems to reset the List Index, and I don't get the error.

Perhaps that will help Bruce find where the bug is so he can fix it.

Laura

#20 Ken Funk

Ken Funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 05:02 AM

YES!!!!!

Finally this seems to be fixed in 4.0.3. Now I can stop wasting so much time playing Mafia Wars on Facebook and actually clean up my database.