3 replies to this topic

#1 BeckyP

BeckyP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

Trying to keep up with all the changes; sorry if this has been asked B4.

In RM v.3, I used to be able to find names that sounded "like", using the Search or NameFind function, within a minute or so. This seemed to include the first / given names / nicknames and different spellings for the last name. I seldom had a problem locating someone in my DB.

It looks to me as tho' the sound-like or SoundEx function doesn't work any more, or is as flexible, in v. 4. I search for a name and most of the time I can't find the name even tho' I've designated this as "sounds like" or includes birth / married surname ... even tho' I know the person is in my DB.

Now, it can take me up to 30 minutes to locate the person, usually female. And I have to do this, on my own, without help from the RM software. Bummer.

Please advise. I have used RM v.1-3, from 2003-2009. Just started using V4.

Am I doing something wrong or is this something that needs to be fixed in V4?

Becky

PS Example 1: RM v4, First name sounds like Emma, married or birth surname sounds like Dapore ... couldn't find Emily (nee Smith) Despoire. RM v3 could find this person.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:10 PM

I don't know exactly what you are doing, but the way I do it is:
Go to the RootsMagic Explorer
Click on "Find"
Given name(s) -- -- Sounds Like -- Elspeth
Click "OK"

(it then finds every Elizabeth in my database)
(And, Even an Elzabob that I put in just to check )
Alfred

#3 BeckyP

BeckyP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Apr 26 2009, 06:10 PM) View Post

I don't know exactly what you are doing, but the way I do it is:
Go to the RootsMagic Explorer
Click on "Find"
Given name(s) -- -- Sounds Like -- Elspeth
Click "OK"

(it then finds every Elizabeth in my database)
(And, Even an Elzabob that I put in just to check )

Alfred. Grateful for your response and your amazing work on this board over the years.

However, in RM v3, a given name / surname / married surname ... search ... sounds like or using NameFind usually came up with the correct person within 5-10 options.
- Note. If female first name is Marie / Mary, I usually give up after the first 30 or so hits.

My point. In RM v4, use the same search techniques as in RM v3. ... rarely come up with the same or correct results. Sometimes, even come up with names that are completely unrelated. Sometimes, very strange results.

Sorry. Something has changed. Have discussed with another user and they are having similar issues. And, I seem to recall seeing similar postings. Then, again, I may be making a mistake.

Maybe Bruce and/or his tech support should write me so I can send my database and give better examples. No rush!

Becky

PS #1 Supporter of RootsMagic with hopes that Bruce takes a vacation in the near future!

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:07 PM

Perhaps RM4's change to the support of Unicode character encoding has something to do with how it works now? There's probably a lot more ways that name spelling conventions can "sound like" another name!

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N