2 replies to this topic

#1 BeckyP

BeckyP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

After adding data for the past several hours, into my newly loaded RM v4, I noticed that there is a new save button on the Edit Person window.

Oops? I added lots of data and never SAVED ... just clicked on the CLOSE button at the bottom of the screen.

Instead of going back and re-checking all my recent data entry, I put an X in the "Prefix" box. Did not SAVE and just CLOSED. The X appeared as the prefix, when I closed the individual and re-opened.

My question - What is the purpose of the SAVE button or why would I ever need to use it?

Thanks, in advance, for your kind answer(s).

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:32 PM

As long as you close the Edit Person window with the close button, you saved what you edited.

The only time I have noticed the Save button did any good is when I filled in the Place Details field and wanted to edit it in the same session, If you click save, it will show up when you click on the icon at the end of the field. If you don't hit the save button, there is nothing there to edit.
Alfred

#3 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3432 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE(BeckyP @ Apr 22 2009, 07:13 PM) View Post

After adding data for the past several hours, into my newly loaded RM v4, I noticed that there is a new save button on the Edit Person window.

Oops? I added lots of data and never SAVED ... just clicked on the CLOSE button at the bottom of the screen.

Instead of going back and re-checking all my recent data entry, I put an X in the "Prefix" box. Did not SAVE and just CLOSED. The X appeared as the prefix, when I closed the individual and re-opened.

My question - What is the purpose of the SAVE button or why would I ever need to use it?

Thanks, in advance, for your kind answer(s).

From the RM4 Help file:
4. Click Save to save your changes or additions made in the active pane, or click Cancel to discard any changes you’ve made.

5. Click Close to close the Edit Person window. Any changes made in the active pane are saved by this command.

The <Save> button (and <Cancel> button) only gets activated when changes are made to that active pane (Person pane). Presumably this would be to "show" that something has been changed and allow user to cancel or save before moving from Person pane to to Notes pane, Sources pane, Media pane, ETC.

Whereas the <Close> presumably Saves ALL of the individual's above-mentioned panes wink.gif

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N