• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Larry P.

Larry P.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

I was real happy to finally get my RM4 disk program. Everything went well untill I tried to restore my data from my old computer (Win 98) via a zip disk on to my XP machine. RM4 couldn't find it on the zip disk. When I catalog the zip disk it's there. Any ideas?

Larry

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE(Larry P. @ Apr 20 2009, 02:24 PM) View Post

I was real happy to finally get my RM4 disk program. Everything went well untill I tried to restore my data from my old computer (Win 98) via a zip disk on to my XP machine. RM4 couldn't find it on the zip disk. When I catalog the zip disk it's there. Any ideas?

Larry

When you say "tried to restore my data" I'm assuming you mean there's a .ZIP backup file from a previous version of RM or FO on your zip disk. If this is the case, what you should do is double-click on that .ZIP backup file, so that it opens it's contents for extraction or copying. You can send these (the database files contained within the .ZIP) to either the zip disk or anyplace on the new system's hard drive and then use File->Import from within RM4. It is the database files, not the .ZIP backup file that RM4 can read and import.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Larry P.

Larry P.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 06:55 AM

QUOTE(kbens0n @ Apr 20 2009, 03:05 PM) View Post

When you say "tried to restore my data" I'm assuming you mean there's a .ZIP backup file from a previous version of RM or FO on your zip disk. If this is the case, what you should do is double-click on that .ZIP backup file, so that it opens it's contents for extraction or copying. You can send these (the database files contained within the .ZIP) to either the zip disk or anyplace on the new system's hard drive and then use File->Import from within RM4. It is the database files, not the .ZIP backup file that RM4 can read and import.

That worked!
But why couldn't I just click on restore from the zip disk and get the file?

#4 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE(Larry P. @ Apr 22 2009, 08:55 AM) View Post

That worked!
But why couldn't I just click on restore from the zip disk and get the file?

Because the RESTORE function in RM4 was written to work with its NEW database format, which one singular large file with a file extension of .RMGC (instead of 34 different individual files that make up those earlier versions of RM)

-AND-

Because the IMPORT function (direct database import) in RM4 was written to specifically work with not only most earlier versions of RM & FO, but also some competitors, ETC.

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#5 Larry P.

Larry P.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE(kbens0n @ Apr 22 2009, 01:26 PM) View Post

Because the RESTORE function in RM4 was written to work with its NEW database format, which one singular large file with a file extension of .RMGC (instead of 34 different individual files that make up those earlier versions of RM)

-AND-

Because the IMPORT function (direct database import) in RM4 was written to specifically work with not only most earlier versions of RM & FO, but also some competitors, ETC.

Thanks, now I understand!