3 replies to this topic

#1 Penna_tmn

Penna_tmn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 10:04 AM

The opportunity to put copies of a database on a memory stick will be invaluable for me but I wonder if there is a simply worded tutorial on viewing the data. I am afraid that my family members may find a genealogy program rather daunting to negotiate.

Adela

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:06 AM

The RootsMagic To Go is not really for your family members, it is for you to use at the library, a family reunion or something. The complete program is on the To Go memory stick and is registered for your use on one computer at a time. It isn't really sharable. If you give a USB drive with a copy of RootsMagicTO GO on it to someone else and keep a copy of the program, you are breaking the end user agreement and the copyright laws.

The sharable CD is designed to be passed out to your family members for their use.

So, if a simple tutorial were to be included, it should probably be with the sharable CD.
Alfred

#3 Ken Funk

Ken Funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Apr 20 2009, 12:06 PM) View Post

If you give a USB drive with a copy of RootsMagicTO GO on it to someone else and keep a copy of the program, you are breaking the end user agreement and the copyright laws.

The sharable CD is designed to be passed out to your family members for their use.

End user agreements be darned! No one ever reads them. I now have claim to 13 first born children because my end users didn't bother to read what I put in the agreement for the software they installed. Yes, I do get easily bored and find interesting ways to amuse myself...

...anyway to the question, the shareable CD is a whole lot more safe for your family members, they do not need to learn the ins and outs out the software in order to enjoy or make use of the material you have gathered...

#4 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 09:54 PM

Adela, for my relatives who would be daunted by navigating a genealogy program I add a Narrative report in one of the outline forms on the Shareable CD.

Create the Shareable CD. On the "Shareable CD is ready to burn" screen is the path the Shareable CD files will be saved in. Make note of that path and then click I will burn it later.

I then go to that path in Window Explorer and make a new folder in the Shareable CD folder and add the narrative report into that folder.

Also the Shareable CD folder can be copied to a jump drive and run using the rmmenu.exe file. That file could then be copied to the relatives computer.

Depending on that relative's skills, I might just print the narrative report or make a text or PDF file and send the narrative report only to them.

Laura