7 replies to this topic

#1 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:46 AM

I have a new laptop with Vista and have installed the RM Ver 3 I have on my desktop with my original install cd and created a /installed it in a folder called My Programs as suggested. It was quick but at the end it asked for my registration key. I found it on the inside cover of the original CD but it will not accept this key. Are there rules as to number of computers I can put that key onto or is there something else I need to do?
Thank You...anything else I need to do when I import my file?

#2 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:13 AM

Can someone PLEASE help me? I even made sure the original was registered on my desktop. If program is only good for one pc I will understand but would like to know.

#3 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 07:22 AM

QUOTE(Old Bob @ Apr 21 2009, 08:13 AM) View Post

Can someone PLEASE help me? I even made sure the original was registered on my desktop. If program is only good for one pc I will understand but would like to know.

There's some installing info here:
http://www.rootsmagic.com/faq/3.html

I guess it doesn't answer your question though.
~ Debbie

#4 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2046 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:40 AM

Give the following a shot:

On your old machine, do a search for the file, ROOTSMAGIC.INI. Open it, and make sure that it contains name and key information.

On the new machine, search for the file of the same name. It may be in a different folder than on the other machine. Open it, and see if the information in it is the same as in the other file. If they're not identical, you can make a copy of the first file and overlay the second with it. You can alternately just manually change the information in that second file to make it identical to the first and save it.

Good luck!

#5 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2686 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE(Old Bob @ Apr 19 2009, 01:46 PM) View Post

...at the end it asked for my registration key. I found it on the inside cover of the original CD but it will not accept this key.

I do not run Vista but there are two different typical bits of advice that I've seen given:

Please do a Ctrl + Shift + U keypress within Rootsmagic and then click
the Reset PROGRAM Settings. If this does not help you need to search
your harddrive for files named rootsmagic.ini
and delete them from the disk and then re-enter your registration
information when you re-start

Vista's tighter security model (With UAC user account control) can be troublesome for some and may be related to your problem. You might try using the Run as Administrator option to see if Vista will allow you to register RootsMagic.

1/ Locate the RootsMagic program's icon (in the installation folder) -or- the desktop shortcut and Right click on it

2/ From the Drop Down Menu select the Run As Administrator option as a settiing.

3/ Now use the application icon or shortcut (that you were working with) and it should try to run RM by invoking full administrator privileges.

4/ When the User Account Control (UAC) message appears enter the appropriate credentials (administrator username/password - if they've been set to something other than blank) and click the Submit button -or- If you ARE the Administrator and UAC is not configured to always require credentials, just Click the Continue button and the application should start.

5/ Try your CTRL-SHIFT-U reset procedure -and/or- retry the registration procedure

Hope these don't confuse. Good Luck!
--
-- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--
--ΤΏΤ--
K e V i N

#6 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:57 PM

I found the ini file on the XP desktop but on the Vista laptop if I do "start" there is a search box and I put in "rootsmagic.ini" and it could not find it. I did install the program in a created folder called "My Programs" as advised and I even looked in that folder and did not see the file either..
I ran as the administrator, set the settings and registration back to defaults and still it does not like my key.
Vista not my favorite but I am stuck with it..
Any other suggestions how I can find that file on the vista laptop?

quote name='Romer' date='Apr 21 2009, 07:40 AM' post='25901']
Give the following a shot:

On your old machine, do a search for the file, ROOTSMAGIC.INI. Open it, and make sure that it contains name and key information.

On the new machine, search for the file of the same name. It may be in a different folder than on the other machine. Open it, and see if the information in it is the same as in the other file. If they're not identical, you can make a copy of the first file and overlay the second with it. You can alternately just manually change the information in that second file to make it identical to the first and save it.

Good luck!
[/quote]

#7 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2046 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:52 PM

In Search, click on Advanced Search. Type the filename in the Name field, and select Everywhere in the Location field. If that still doesn't work, you can check the box for "Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files (could be slow)".

#8 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

OMG----GOT IT!
As I need to share so others will not be as unobservant as I am. I was so concentrated on the KEY I did not see (or so I can feel better about myslef-it was not there-so embarassing laugh.gif ) that the first box asks for your NAME and not the key. Once I put the NAME in and then the KEY in the lower box I am all registered and the back up went in just fine. Thanks for all your help...that old desktop is on its last leg and I am so trying go get things on this laptop so I will not have such a learning curve when it crashes and I have a nice back up for all my stuff.

QUOTE(Romer @ Apr 21 2009, 12:52 PM) View Post

In Search, click on Advanced Search. Type the filename in the Name field, and select Everywhere in the Location field. If that still doesn't work, you can check the box for "Include non-indexed, hidden, and system files (could be slow)".