• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Philip McManus

Philip McManus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:37 AM

I am getting ready to allow a custom fact type (PHOTOGRAPH) that I have in my database to be shared with roles. It already has an attached media image file. I was toying with the idea of either adding in photo physical description information as roles or just having a standard format and put that under the description. Here are the pieces that of information that I have as basic information. For the older types I have a couple more.

PICTURE CODE (the file name of the media image file if I have one)
SUBJECT
PERSON'S POSITION IN PHOTO (BCF,L-R)
ORIGINAL ALBUM OWNER (If came from album, good to group photos from the older type albums)
DATE OF PHOTO
SUBJECT OR OCCASION
PICTURE TYPE
PICTURE SUB TYPE
LOCALITY
Handwriting (Original) (versus other informaiton obviously added at a later date, such as identifying marks on a museum owned photograph)
PROVENANCE (could go as source)
PROVENANCE ID (could go as source id)
NOTES
SITTERS (people in photograph other than main person? Could I add as main fact holder as sitter and not use their fact information in the sentence)
PHOTOGRAPHER (If known)

Any ideas? I have over 100 family photos I would like to do this to.

#2 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:30 PM

That is a great idea!

After reading your post, I did a drag and drop into a new trial database of a family for which I have several group photos to try this out. I always suggest making a Play database to try thing like this in before changing a main database.

Be aware, the linked media for a shared fact will only print in a Scrapbook for the Principal person. Show usage will also show only the media link for a shared fact to the Principal.

For the shared persons, the media will need to be linked to their name to be printed in a Scrapbook for them or show on Show usage.

This is what I did as a quick trial. I'll play with it some more I'm sure.

I created a User defined fact, !Photo shared.

The date, place, and description are enabled.
Principal sentence: [person] <, age [person:Age:Plain],> was included in a photograph< of [Desc]>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

Sitter role sentence: [Thisperson] <, age [person:Age:Plain],> was included in a photograph< of [Desc]>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

I've not gotten the sentences quite perfected to read correctly when a date, place details or place are not entered. This might require using the switches which I haven't gotten into very deeply yet.

Date: 1 Jan 1954
Place: Dallas, Dallas County, Texas
Place Details: John Smith's home
Description: the John & Jane Smith family

Note: contains information for photo including the description which looks like this.
Standing: James Smith, Rhonda Smith, Mary Smith, John Smith, Jr.
Sitting: John Smith, Sr., Jane Smith

I shared the fact with the wife and children, putting " [Standing: James Smith, Rhonda Smith, Mary Smith, John Smith, Jr.]" in each of the Children's shared notes as they were standing.

I put " [Sitting: John Smith, Sr., Jane Smith]" in the wife's shared note.

James Smith's sentence reads in the Narrative report as: James, age 22, was included in a photograph of the John & Jane Smith family on 1 January 1954 at John Smith's home in Dallas, Dallas County, Texas. [Standing: James Smith, Rhonda Smith, Mary Smith, John Smith, Jr.]

Laura