5 replies to this topic

#1 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:23 PM

I see manny are having issues with Vista and Ver 4. Will RM ver 3 work on Vista? I have two computers, one with XP and one with Vista. Currently I use the XP and Ver 3 but was hoping to use either and interchange by working on one and loading it on another but that seems it many not be possible at this time.
suggestions?

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

It seems to work fine if you do not install it in the default folder, "Program Files."
I created a new folder in C:\ "My Programs" and installed RootsMagic 3 there.
C:\My Programs\RoorsMagic\

The only reason for this is that Vista does not like you changing files in it's Program Files folder and RootsMagic 3 keeps it's user edited spelling file with it's program files.

Setting the folders options the same in both computers would be a good idea.
If you start ritht in the drive letter, something like:
C:\RM Data
C:\RM Data\Backups
ETC...
would keep things easier to coordinate.
Alfred

#3 Old Bob

Old Bob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:14 PM

Thank you I will try installing RM3 on the Vista laptop in a designated area as you suggested. Will the file import, GED export and import work also between both if I do change the installation place on the vista machine as well as the XP machine as they do now?

#4 Penna_tmn

Penna_tmn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Apr 15 2009, 07:53 PM) View Post

It seems to work fine if you do not install it in the default folder, "Program Files."
I created a new folder in C:\ "My Programs" and installed RootsMagic 3 there.
C:\My Programs\RoorsMagic\

The only reason for this is that Vista does not like you changing files in it's Program Files folder and RootsMagic 3 keeps it's user edited spelling file with it's program files.

Setting the folders options the same in both computers would be a good idea.
If you start ritht in the drive letter, something like:
C:\RM Data
C:\RM Data\Backups
ETC...
would keep things easier to coordinate.

Alfred,

Can you advise on how to move it from Progam when it is already installed. My main problem seems to be with the MERGE functions.

Adela

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:51 PM

To move the program itself, you just about have to delete or uninstall from the Windows Control Panel and then use the original disk or use the original downloaded RM3Setup.exe program to install in your folder of choice.
( RM3Setup.exe is close to 8700KB in size)
Then if it isn't 3.2.6 you can download the patch and update it to that.

BUT! the database location has more bearing on the merge function than the program location.
If you set up your Folders options as I mentioned, you can then do a backup of your present database, that backup file will, by default, land in the folder you designated for backups.
You can then do a Restore and that restored file will land, again by default, in the folder you designated for RootsMagic Files, The top field in the Folders list.

There is also the COPY DATABASE function under FILES that would let you copy your database to the designated folder and save making the backup and restoring, I have very little experience with this function but I haven't read anything about it not working. SO, whichever you want to use.

After you get your database located where you want it, you should rename it by adding NEW in front of it's name.
Then, using the list at the bottom of the Files menu, open the original database and delete it. (The NEW is to make sure you do not delete the wrong one.)
Now, you can rename the database again and remove NEW if you want.

I still don't think this will help you much with merges though.
What seems to be the problem there?
Alfred

#6 Roymack

Roymack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:08 PM

QUOTE(Old Bob @ Apr 15 2009, 01:23 PM) View Post

I see manny are having issues with Vista and Ver 4. Will RM ver 3 work on Vista? I have two computers, one with XP and one with Vista. Currently I use the XP and Ver 3 but was hoping to use either and interchange by working on one and loading it on another but that seems it many not be possible at this time.
suggestions?

I am so pleased that I finally entered the forum. I was having all kinds of problems with Ver 3 on Vista. Your tip on installing in another directory solved my problems. Thanks so much.
Roy