5 replies to this topic

#1 franjane

franjane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:00 PM

While I fully realize that step parents and half brothers and sisters are not direct ancestors or direct descendants from a genealogical standpoint, in many family they are as important or perhaps more important in the lives of the descendents. I had two step grandmothers, one of which was very much a part of my life. She was the only grandparent my sisters and I ever knew. Unfortunately, she died before the next generation was born. It is important to us that her memory be kept along with their direct ancestors. I know this is true of many families. Families are more than blood relationships.

Thus I would like to have the option of including all wives and their children whether there is a blood relationship or not, in narrative reports.

A second issue is the relationship between parents and children. If the father is the birth father of seven children and the mother is the step mother of 5 and the birth mother of two, he is listed as the step parent of the first five when the spouse is the second wife. This is on screen in the family list. Could this be corrected so that when he is highlighted he is the birth parent of all children no matter what wife is listed.

Thank you for considering my request.

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:38 PM

If you are in RootsMagic 4, you can set the child parent relationshp for each parent.

Double click on the child to bring up the "Edit Person" window.
At the top are the parents, click on the set for which you want to set the relationships.
You can use the drop down list to choose several types of relationship for each parent.

Of course, you have to have the child linked to each set of parents to set these relationships for all.
Alfred

#3 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:49 PM

In RM4, the relationship of each parent to the child is shown in the far right column, Relation. for each child.

Father - Mother

Laura

#4 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 01:55 AM

True, this can be set in the Edit Person pane, but it really should be carried over to the narrative reports. In the NGSQ publication Numbering Your Genealogy by Curran, Crane, and Wray, Crane describes how to include these types of relationships, as well as adoptions, in the chapter on "Complex Families." Essentially, the children are listed separately by their relationship to the respective parent, step parent, adopted parent combinations in addition to special numbering of these children in the child list.

An adjunct to showing these multiple wives, step children and adoptions in Narrative reports, would be the ability: a ) to override the default child list sentence to better express the parent to child relationship, and b ) to employ alternate names in sentences to handle name changes.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#5 scrapperdoc

scrapperdoc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE(franjane @ Apr 11 2009, 07:00 PM) View Post

While I fully realize that step parents and half brothers and sisters are not direct ancestors or direct descendants from a genealogical standpoint, in many family they are as important or perhaps more important in the lives of the descendents. I had two step grandmothers, one of which was very much a part of my life. She was the only grandparent my sisters and I ever knew. Unfortunately, she died before the next generation was born. It is important to us that her memory be kept along with their direct ancestors. I know this is true of many families. Families are more than blood relationships.

Thus I would like to have the option of including all wives and their children whether there is a blood relationship or not, in narrative reports.

A second issue is the relationship between parents and children. If the father is the birth father of seven children and the mother is the step mother of 5 and the birth mother of two, he is listed as the step parent of the first five when the spouse is the second wife. This is on screen in the family list. Could this be corrected so that when he is highlighted he is the birth parent of all children no matter what wife is listed.

Thank you for considering my request.

Have to agree with this. I have been urgently searching for a charting facility that will set up a descendant tree and then allow me to add another person from my person list on the database so that I can show the intricacies of my family which includes: half-siblings, adopted (not legally) grandparents and great aunts, children not related in anyway at all but part of the family, etc

Can a patch be added to enable this to happen very soon, so that my printed family descendant tree is complete.

#6 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:14 PM

scrapper, reports are to be addressed by the RootsMagician as part of a patch at some point in the future ( http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=259 ), but general software bugs seem to be the immediate focus. Perhaps that option will be considered for addition at that future time.

I seldom use RMChart, but you do have the ability to cut and paste segments from one wall chart to another. Unfortunately, this might not be very practical for what you're attempting to do.