4 replies to this topic

#1 BarryEvans

BarryEvans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:50 AM

This really is a hard one to pin down, but its happened enough times now that I am starting to worry.

After I've hammered the family keys for a good few hours (you know, one of those sessions where the keyboard smokes from adding new people, relationships, census, adding facts, reports, re-arranging sources and places [yawn], fixing stuff that doesn't work in RM4 [yawn x 2] etc) a strange thing happens in RM4...

I can not edit children of a family. In family view, even if I highlight a child and try to edit them, I get the edit details of the father or mother. No matter what I do, RM4 gets stuck on the father or mother. The only fix is to close and restart RM4.

This is very hard to replicate systematically as it only occurs after long heavy sessions and I can not pick up any patterns, especially because I'm also a bit gaga towards the end of one of these sessions and also require a reboot wacko.gif But it is definately happening on my system (Dell Pentium 1 gig RAM Win XP pro SP3) and appears to be a core database/memory issue. And -no- it never happened in RM3.

Anyone else getting this?

RM4 is starting to seriously worry me sad.gif

#2 Ken Funk

Ken Funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:33 AM

QUOTE(BarryEvans @ Apr 10 2009, 02:50 AM) View Post

RM4 is starting to seriously worry me sad.gif

It is worrying many of us, which is why I suggested in a post, that it still should be in beta and not a mature release.

#3 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:55 AM

QUOTE(BarryEvans @ Apr 10 2009, 03:50 AM) View Post
...After I've hammered the family keys for a good few hours (you know, one of those sessions where the keyboard smokes from adding new people, relationships, census, adding facts, reports, re-arranging sources and places [yawn], fixing stuff that doesn't work in RM4 [yawn x 2] etc) a strange thing happens in RM4...
I applaude your patience. It is because of reasons such as these that I am unwilling to move away from RM 3.2.6.
...RM4 is starting to seriously worry me sad.gif
You are not alone in this opinion, but it seems our voices are currently in the minority. However, I believe this still needs to be said... dry.gif

User since Family Origins 2.0, Now using RM 7.5...

#4 Geoff Schultz

Geoff Schultz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:39 AM

I see the exact same thing and it effects more that just RM4. I eventually have to reboot my entire system. Restarting RM doesn't solve my problem.

As an ex-systems programmer, I think that it's due to some resource starvation due to fragmentation (i.e. they allocate some resource and then only return a portion of it, and eventually there aren't large chunks available when you try to allocate a contiguous chunk.) Many applications don't deal with these types of errors very well, and you see strange behavior.

-- Geoff

#5 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE(Geoff Schultz @ Apr 13 2009, 09:39 AM) View Post
I see the exact same thing and it effects more that just RM4. I eventually have to reboot my entire system. Restarting RM doesn't solve my problem.-- Geoff
And it takes "half an hour" to reboot! Actually, I haven't timed it, but when it's so slow, you can just see a word document or spread sheet slowly "disappear" from top to bottom of the document. The reason for the open document is:
I'm beginning to collect hyperlinks into one document, so that when I know "That document is around someplace", but I haven't used it for awhile.
Now I can link right to it. That all started with broken links in my photo gallery and the way the photo programs save the pictures.
If I load photos on my hard drive, they get put into a folder that's assigned a name "C:\Documents and Settings\Glenn\GPW Documents\My Pictures\Kodak Pictures\2006-02-07 with a file name like E421-491-24.jpg. I had moved most of them to more appropriate names like "Family Pictures 2005".
This particular folder had a picture that I erroneously captioned with a date after the date of death of one of the relatives. I knew I had created a word document detailing each picture in order by the Kodak-assigned identifier. After not saving the original ID, I am have started to keep the original file name prepending a more identifying name. I finally searched and found that word document "..\..\GPW Documents\AZ-NM MAR 2003\PHOTO CATALOG.doc" which will aid me in finding a lot of the pictures.

Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn