• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan

Ryan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:05 AM

I was tring to export from RM4 to Family Tree Maker 2009. FTM2009 would not import it, it showed an error message: "GEDCOM file must me version 5.5 or greater". Does anyone know what GEDCOM version RM4 makes or how to get around this problem? Thanks.

Ryan

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3442 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE(Ryan @ Apr 7 2009, 01:05 PM) View Post

I was tring to export from RM4 to Family Tree Maker 2009. FTM2009 would not import it, it showed an error message: "GEDCOM file must me version 5.5 or greater". Does anyone know what GEDCOM version RM4 makes or how to get around this problem? Thanks.

Ryan

0 HEAD
1 SOUR RootsMagic
2 NAME RootsMagic
2 VERS 4.0
2 CORP RootsMagic, Inc.
3 ADDR PO Box 495
4 CONT Springville, UT 84663
4 CONT USA
3 PHON 1-800-ROOTSMAGIC
3 WWW www.RootsMagic.com
1 DEST RootsMagic
1 DATE 30 MAR 2009
1 FILE rm4.ged
1 GEDC
2 VERS 5.5.1
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
1 CHAR UTF-8

It's definitely greater than 5.5 (the blue) but may be having a problem with unicode support (the red). Don't know if changing that red text to:

CHAR ANSI

would fully import or not?

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Ryan

Ryan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:01 PM

Would not import at all.

"2 VERS 5.5.1
2 FORM LINEAGE-LINKED
1 CHAR UTF-8

It's definitely greater than 5.5 (the blue) but may be having a problem with unicode support (the red). Don't know if changing that red text to:

CHAR ANSI"

is ther a way to change the CHAR, sorry I am new at the GEDCOM feature and geanology. Thanks for the help.

#4 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2055 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:25 PM

Just open your .GED file with a word processing program, make any changes there, and resave the file, making sure that it still maintains the same extension. You should then be good to go as far as trying to reimport that file into FTM.

#5 Ryan

Ryan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE(Romer @ Apr 7 2009, 08:25 AM) View Post

Just open your .GED file with a word processing program, make any changes there, and resave the file, making sure that it still maintains the same extension. You should then be good to go as far as trying to reimport that file into FTM.

Thanks all!!! With your help the problem is solved. I opened the .GED file in Word and on the version line: "2 VERS 5.5.1" - I erased the .1 and saved it. Must be the 5.5.1 was messing it up so now it reads 5.5 and it worked. Thanks again!!!

#6 Ken Funk

Ken Funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE(Ryan @ Apr 7 2009, 02:11 PM) View Post

Thanks all!!! With your help the problem is solved. I opened the .GED file in Word and on the version line: "2 VERS 5.5.1" - I erased the .1 and saved it. Must be the 5.5.1 was messing it up so now it reads 5.5 and it worked. Thanks again!!!

I discovered this little problem yesterday and removing the .1 fixed it. I was not even aware that the GEDCOM standard made it to 5.5.1, or I should say I was not aware that version 5.5.1 ever made it past the working draft stage. I don't know how other programs deal with 5.5.1 GEDs but at least FTM 2009 does not like it.