15 replies to this topic

#1 Canuk

Canuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

I am just getting used to RM4, and am not a computer wizard. Please, can somebody tell me clearly how to attach an email, or several emails to a fact?

Thanks,

Canuk
Searching in Kent, England

#2 Ken Funk

Ken Funk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE(Canuk @ Apr 5 2009, 06:42 PM) View Post

I am just getting used to RM4, and am not a computer wizard. Please, can somebody tell me clearly how to attach an email, or several emails to a fact?

Thanks,

Have you saved these emails somehow to a file? Have you copied and pasted contents into some type of text file? Something has to be done to seperate the email from your inbox. I use Outlook and all of my email goes into a big file ending in PST. I certainly would not want to attach it. But I have been known to copy the email contents to a text file and attach that to a fact. Give more details please!

#3 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:36 PM

I would just copy and paste it into a note or a source text.
Alfred

#4 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:59 PM

If you wish, another option to consider would be to copy and paste just the fact-relevant portion of the email message to the Edit Source screen. You can find the Detail text under the More drop-down box in the Source Details section within that screen. You could also (or instead) copy and paste the full message to the Master Source section in a similar fashion.

I'd be curious to learn how others would handle or are handling something such as this.

*edited to add that I posted before seeing Alfred's suggestion, which is along the lines of what I'm recommending

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:06 AM

I created a custom fact called "Email" as emails can cover several events and generally do. On the email itself I click Reply so I get the email header information on screen (who from, date etc) and copy this along with the email body into Notes on the Email Fact. That way I capture the whole thing including the email address in case I loose it elsewhere.

I date the fact as when received and in the description field put my brief description of what the email was about.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 02:13 PM

This is my way of handling emails:
Pick list name: E-Mail, [first & middle initials without periods plus last name]
Quality: Unknown
Footnote:
[First MI Last], "Multiple relatives," e-mail messages from <[email address]> ([City ST]) to [me], various dates, [dd Mmm yyyy**]
Short Footnote:
[Last, "Multiple relatives," e-mails to [me], various dates
Bibliography:
[Last, First MI]"Multiple relatives," e-mail messages from <[email address]> ([City ST]), various dates
Detail text:
She turned [nn] on [Month ddth]
Repository:
Self
[City, ST]

Notes:
Quality: I was never sure how to assess the quality, so I never used it.
Page number:
In RM V3, I used the **page number for the date I received the email. I’m not sure what I should do about it in RM V4 since the page number "migrated" from citation page to source page.

Cheers, Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn

#7 Canuk

Canuk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:11 PM

Aha! Got it sorted now. It wasn't so hard after all! Just have to get used to a new way of doing things, that's all. I think I was trying to make things more complicated than I needed to.

The other thing that I've done is made a second database with my tree in it and called it (in caps) TEST ONLY. There I'll play around with stuff when I'm uncertain. When I've got a technique right, then I'll use it in my master family tree.

I'm quite liking RM4. Thanks to everybody for all their help.

Canuk
Searching in Kent, England

#8 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:16 PM

Canuck,

If you want to keep the email message in tact, there are several ways to do it:

1) you can (in many email programs) save the message to disk. In Outlook, I use File, Save as... then select file type txt, and save it to my media folder with your RM files.
2) If you have a program that "prints" to PDF files (such as CutePDF), you can print the message as a PDF and save it to the Media folder with your RM files.

This text file can then be added to the Edit Source, More, Detail media (Source details section) or Source media (Master Source section.)

There are lots of options - it depends on how you wish to store the e-mail messages. Personally, I prefer to print the e-mail to PDF then attach that to the Edit Source, More, Source media.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#9 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE(bienia @ Apr 6 2009, 07:16 PM) View Post
In Outlook, I use File, Save as... then select file type txt, and save it to my media folder with your RM files...
Are these two different operations or an unintentional contradiction?
QUOTE(bienia @ Apr 6 2009, 07:16 PM) View Post
Personally, I prefer to print the e-mail to PDF then attach that to the Edit Source, More, Source media.
Little bit fuzzy on these steps, but will give both of them a try. sleep.gif
Glenn
--------------
Edit after experiment:
My save options do not offer PDF, but include:
two text file types, Text files (*txt) and Unicode Text files (*txt) -- I suppose the Unicode might be the better choice?
Adobe Reader 9.1 could not read my "save to file" document.

but

Glenn

#10 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:23 PM

Correspondence Time line:
Email announced birth of new baby girl who had not yet been named.
Waited a while, then sent an inquiring email.
Reply email Subject: (Re: Does "No Name Yet" Have One??) became name of text file in RM Media folder.
Email contains baby’s name and birth date, mother’s maiden name and grandparents’ names.

Went to baby’s record, added media and captioned it “Sophia Lily’s birthdate”.
Went to mother’s record, added media and captioned it “Sarah’s Maiden Name”.
Problem? Go to either record and select “Show Usage”. I was expecting two results, but only got one, depending upon whose record was active when selecting the Usage button.

Glenn

but

Glenn

#11 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:01 PM

I have a very generic source called "personal commuication." It covers all letters, phone calls, e-mails, smoke signals, etc.

As for what to do with a specific e-mail, I'd copy and paste into the citation.

#12 BarryEvans

BarryEvans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:37 AM

I think its indicative of how limited RM's corrspondence list (Lists/Correspondence Lists) is, that no one has so far even mentioned it. It is my understanding that this was supposed to be the exact tool to help handle such information, i.e. as part of a inter-linked sequence (ToDos, Addresses, Repositories, Correspondence, leading to facts) that could -if developed- be a wonderfully powerful software tool to facilitate genealogical research, but which have become stagnant under-utilised, almost redundant add-ons. None of them have been touched for years and in the case of ToDo have gone backward in RM4 sad.gif

#13 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE(Glenn @ Apr 7 2009, 03:21 PM) View Post

Edit after experiment:
My save options do not offer PDF, but include:
two text file types, Text files (*txt) and Unicode Text files (*txt) -- I suppose the Unicode might be the better choice?
Adobe Reader 9.1 could not read my "save to file" document.
[/color][/b]

Adobe couldn't read them because they are txt files not pdf files.

Sorry for not being more specific about the PDF option. Here are some details...

There are several programs, like CutePDF, that are used with the Print command. Essentially, they are PDF printer emualtors that take the print output and convert it to PDF format. (CutePDF has a free version that creates PDF files quite handily.) These printer emulators have to be installed like other software. Once installed they work with practically any program you have.

To use one of these printer emulators, you would select the File, Print command, then select the printer emulator (say, CutePDF), then click Print, and tell the program where to store the PDF file.

That's all there is to it.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#14 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(Glenn @ Apr 7 2009, 07:23 PM) View Post

[b]Correspondence Time line:
[color=#990000]Went to baby’s record, added media and captioned it “Sophia Lily’s birthdate”.
Went to mother’s record, added media and captioned it “Sarah’s Maiden Name”.
Problem? Go to either record and select “Show Usage”. I was expecting two results, but only got one, depending upon whose record was active when selecting the Usage button.

Glenn, did you use the Add new media button on the mother's Media Album screen instead of using the Add from Gallery button?

If you used the Add new media button, that added a new instance of the media to the Media Gallery so you will have 2 thumbnails for the same file in the Gallery.

So Sophia Lily's media is linked to one media file in the Gallery and Sarah's Maiden Name is linked to the other. And the Usage screen shows only one link.

What I am doing when I am going to add new media is go to the Media Gallery to check if I already have a thumbnail for that media file. If I don't, I go ahead and add the file from the Media Gallery.

Then, I go to the person's Edit person, choose where to add the media and use the Add from Gallery button on the Media Album screen and select the file from the Gallery.

Think of the Media Gallery as the master media list as the Source list is for sources.

Laura

#15 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 03:14 PM

Bill and Laura:
Installed CutePDF
Double checked by search for “.exe” limiting to today’s date (4/9) -- It was there at: C:\Program Files
Removed media from two individual scrapbooks (which were linked to .txt file).
TEST
Go back to email of mm/dd/yy
File > Print > Only shows:
HP Officejet 6300 series, Microsoft XPS Document Writer, WebEx Document Loader
Open text file -- Get the same results as File > Print > above
Re-searched C:\Program Files -- Right-clicked and got set up wizard.
Evidently didn’t run it before! rolleyes.gif
Temporarily delete .txt file (already deleted – in recycle bin)
Now, go back to original email. --
Yeah, finally! PDF IS SAVED IN: C:\Documents and Settings\Glenn\[my initials, upper case] Desktop\RM FAM TREES V4

Before actually using it, do I dare save it in the Multimedia folder (created under Tools > Program Options > Folders)? I ask because removing media from scrapbook was extremely slow! The five folders point to: C:\Documents and Settings\Glenn\[initials] Desktop\RM FAM TREES V4\[Multimedia and other four]. First encounter with slowness CTRL+ALT+DEL didn’t do anything either. Finally came to the log off button, so I logged off and then logged on again.
Saved the three steps that begin with heading “DO NOT look for any application to run…” to use until I get the hang of it.
Came across another problem: The PDF file has two pages. Page two is blank except for “See what's new at AOL.com and Make AOL Your Homepage.” This ad seems to be at the end of many of my emails. CutePDF©® seems to be a neat tool.
Will it let me just save the first page?
Added the new PDF file as a multimedia; and it, too, was as slow as molasses in January when I tried to remove it.
Laura:
List > Source > Add new source:

Where is the equivalent for media independent of editing a person?
List > Media > Add new media:

Glenn

but

Glenn

#16 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE(BarryEvans @ Apr 8 2009, 02:37 PM) View Post

I think its indicative of how limited RM's corrspondence list (Lists/Correspondence Lists) is, that no one has so far even mentioned it. It is my understanding that this was supposed to be the exact tool to help handle such information, i.e. as part of a inter-linked sequence (ToDos, Addresses, Repositories, Correspondence, leading to facts) that could -if developed- be a wonderfully powerful software tool to facilitate genealogical research, but which have become stagnant under-utilised, almost redundant add-ons. None of them have been touched for years and in the case of ToDo have gone backward in RM4 sad.gif

At the risk of being negative I do have to agree with you Barry. I was hoping for a big make over on To-Do lists at least, to help further research but alas not to be.

Anyway RM4 has so many other great new features maybe To-Do's will get some attention in the future. These "redundant add-ons" as you put it seem to be becoming just that, any posts regarding them do not seem to get much support.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root