6 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:48 PM

A customized sentence on the 'edit person' screen does not read the same as the sentence created on the 'customize sentence' screen.

For example, a sentence I created on the 'customize sentence' screen:

[person] died< [Date]> at< [Desc] in [Place:Plain]>.

returns:

He died on 26 October 1776 at Jordans in Prince George Co., VA.

How it reads on the 'edit person' screen:

Col. Richard Bland died on 26 October 1776 at Jordans in Prince George Co., VA.

Jack

a posteriori

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3432 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:30 PM

From the RM4 Help File:

Person Name Cycling Options

:Cycle
Fact Sentence People
Prints the full name first and then cycles between He/She and the casual name in subsequent uses. Default for “Person” and “Couple” in regular fact sentences and default for “ThisPerson” in witness fact sentences.

:NoCycle <------ Short-Term Workaround maybe?
Fact Sentence People
Print the name as specified without cycling

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2055 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

Jack, I reported the same inconsistency between the sentence given in the Edit Person screen and in the default Customize Sentence screen to the email address given back in the community preview phase, so it should hopefully already be logged.

If I remember correctly, I believe that you'll find the Customize Sentence screen version is the one you'll actually see in the narrative report.

#4 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:15 AM

QUOTE(Romer @ Apr 3 2009, 05:37 PM) View Post

Jack, I reported the same inconsistency between the sentence given in the Edit Person screen and in the default Customize Sentence screen to the email address given back in the community preview phase, so it should hopefully already be logged.

I always wonder when I post a msg here if I have made it clear enough to get a reply that addresses it constructively!

Thanks for your reply and for noting that although I didn't use "inconsistency," you interpreted my comment correctly.

And, you're right. The version seen on the customized screen is the one that appears in the narrative.

Jack

biggrin.gif

Jack

a posteriori

#5 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 06:31 AM

QUOTE(Jack @ Apr 4 2009, 05:15 AM) View Post

And, you're right. The version seen on the customized screen is the one that appears in the narrative.

Jack
biggrin.gif

Only if that is the first sentence in the narrative. The full name is used in the first sentence, as is shown at the bottom of the edit fact area. The pronoun is used in subsequent sentences in the narrative, as is shown below the "Customize Sentence" Sentence Template area.
Alfred

#6 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2055 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:02 AM

Alfred, yes, that's right. To put it another way, the Customize Sentence screen sentence for a fact is consistent with all sentences in the narrative unless it happens to be the first one, while the one in the Edit Person screen for that fact is consistent only if it happens to be the first.

#7 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

I've noticed that the Customize window seems to use the "Cycle" name option. If the [person] or [couple] (or other name variations) field is not changed by field codes, Customize shows he/she/they. When field options (:first:surname for instance) are used with [person] or [couple], the actual name, or rather the variation of the name(s) as specified by the field options, is shown.

The Edit Person sentence preview shows the name as specified by the [person] or [couple] field options, or lack thereof. It does not use the he/she/they for preview display purposes.

When you get the actual narrative reports, the first usage of the name uses the field codes assigned to the [person] or [couple]. If there are no field codes, the full compliment of names parts entered into the names fields are displayed. After the first usage, the names then cycle between he/she/they (displayed twice), then [person:casual] is used to display the nickname if there is one, otherwise the first name is used. That is, unless the user has specified filed option, then the field options versions of the name are used and the cycle restarts. (This is a little complicated to describe - you have to set up a dummy person with a variety of field options for the [person] and watch the results.)

-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm