• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pjmpjm

pjmpjm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:57 PM

I've only just had a very quick look at RM4 after installing the first update (4.0.1.0), but immediately exported a GEDCOM to test.

This GEDCOM, when uploaded to RootsWeb, seemed to show fewer problems than those exported by the initial release of RM4.

However, sources still weren't displayed.

Feedback from other RM4 users would be most welcome.

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au

#2 pjmpjm

pjmpjm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:23 PM

Correction: I've now re-uploaded to RootsWeb another GEDCOM exported by RM4.01.1 and my sources all seem to be appearing! I did this without stripping any GEDCOM parameters off the uploaded GEDCOM. It appears that this issue was addressed by Bruce in his first update!

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2056 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:34 PM

Just to make it a little more clear for those not familiar with the other thread on this same issue ( http://www.rootsmagi...?showtopic=6224 ), the problem seems to be with the interpretation of RM4's GEDCOM export by RootsWeb, which creates a database from that GEDCOM data. Due to familiarity with the GEDCOM export, those uploading RM3 GEDCOMs to RootsWeb knew which GEDCOM tags RootsWeb didn't interpret properly and could instruct it to ignore them.

With the increased functionality in RM4, users are using trial and error in the GEDCOM tag ignore process in RootsWeb to try to achieve a similar results with their RM4 GEDCOM exports, but as of yet, haven't been able to figure out an acceptable solution.

I hope that I've described the issue properly -- and that those more familiar with RootsWeb and GEDCOMs can help to identify how to treat the various tags.

*****After seeing correction, above, edited to add:

Congratulations! I'm glad that everything has been worked out.*****

#4 pjmpjm

pjmpjm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:22 PM

Thanks, Romer. You have indeed explained the RM4 GEDCOM issue much more clearly then I did in my last hurried post.

I was very,very excited when I wrote that last entry!

I've been using Bruce's software for quite a few years now, going back to the early Family Origins days, and am a real 'believer' in his database approach.

Many of us would have been quite willing to have to 'tweak' the RM4 GEDCOM export process in order to make it work with RootsWeb, but it appears that Bruce has very quickly remedied the anomalies.

I hope others thinking of switching to RM will take note that we have a dedicated enthusiast behind our software, who takes RM very seriously -- and that they will not be put off by those of us who flood this forum with our questions and misunderstandings.

RM is a truly excellent genealogy database and gets better with each new version.

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au

#5 yallcome

yallcome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:35 AM

I'd just be interested to know if everyone is seeing the "Spouse unknown" on every entry on Rootsweb once their GEDCOM is uploaded? Very disconcerting for those of us who share info on Rootsweb.

Michael

QUOTE(pjmpjm @ Apr 1 2009, 03:57 AM) View Post

I've only just had a very quick look at RM4 after installing the first update (4.0.1.0), but immediately exported a GEDCOM to test.

This GEDCOM, when uploaded to RootsWeb, seemed to show fewer problems than those exported by the initial release of RM4.

However, sources still weren't displayed.

Feedback from other RM4 users would be most welcome.

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au

#6 yallcome

yallcome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:55 AM

Just upgraded, exported and uploaded to Rootsweb. Everyone still has "Spouse Unknown" and all sources contain today's date, no other info.

hmmmm

I really don't want to learn how to hack GEDCOMs.

m2

#7 yallcome

yallcome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:09 AM

Hi guys -- posting this here too, since it seems to be same type of thread.

Just had a note from Bruce when I got home. He suggested I export my RM4 data to a GEDCOM, then re-import it into RM4 to see how it looked. It looked fine. So I went ahead and re-exported the new RM4 data to a GEDCOM and uploaded it to RootsWeb (the new way, not stripping anything) and it took and looks fine. Sources, Spouses, and all.

Don't know what that did, other than possibly do a final scouring on the data that came over originally from RM3, but hey, it worked.

QUOTE(yallcome @ Apr 7 2009, 01:55 PM) View Post

Just upgraded, exported and uploaded to Rootsweb. Everyone still has "Spouse Unknown" and all sources contain today's date, no other info.

hmmmm

I really don't want to learn how to hack GEDCOMs.

m2

#8 pjmpjm

pjmpjm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:55 AM

Hi yallcome

I've tried to replicate what you described below, but failed. I may not have fully understood what you did, so I'll outline what I tried over the past hour, and ask you to give me some feedback.

I first exported my RM4 database as a GEDCOM. Then I re-imported the GEDCOM back into RM4 as a completely new database. Finally, I exported this new database as a completely new GEDCOM and uploaded it to RootsWeb.

At first, I didn't strip any tags from the GEDCOM when I uploaded it. The result was the usual more-than-doubling of names in the RootsWeb database and lots of extraneous tags showing.

I then uploaded the same GEDCOM a second time, this time stripping the known troublesome tags. The result was the same large number of RootsWeb 'fatal error level' messages -- wherever at least three digits followed a CONT tag -- and an overall failure to show full sources.

(I can give more details of these various errors to those who want to know more. And can outline experiments tried over the past week. But this latest outcome was basically the same problem as experienced initially, when uploading a normally produced RM4 GEDCOM to RootsMagic.)

Any chance I missed something? I was very excited to hear of your success, but am of course very disappointed at present.

Hoping to hear from you.

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au

QUOTE(yallcome @ Apr 9 2009, 11:09 PM) View Post

Hi guys -- posting this here too, since it seems to be same type of thread.

Just had a note from Bruce when I got home. He suggested I export my RM4 data to a GEDCOM, then re-import it into RM4 to see how it looked. It looked fine. So I went ahead and re-exported the new RM4 data to a GEDCOM and uploaded it to RootsWeb (the new way, not stripping anything) and it took and looks fine. Sources, Spouses, and all.

Don't know what that did, other than possibly do a final scouring on the data that came over originally from RM3, but hey, it worked.

#9 yallcome

yallcome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:30 AM

Hi Patrick -- I just came home from work for the day and did this again.

Opened RM4
1 Imported my RM3 database from the RM3 file (not a GEDCOM)
2 Exported the "new" RM4 data to a new GEDCOM
(uploaded that to RootsWeb just to see if what had happened earlier was a on-off thing
-- it didn't work - got same errors in spouses and sources again -- all mixed up.)
3 ReImported the new GEDCOM into RM4
4 ReExported the RM4 data to a GEDCOM
5 Uploaded to Rootsweb -- no fiddling or anything, using the new interface.
6 Perfect!

Weird, huh?

It's almost as if the import from RM3 was dirty, and needed to be cleaned up by re-exporting and re-importing.

m2

QUOTE(pjmpjm @ Apr 9 2009, 03:55 PM) View Post

Hi yallcome

I've tried to replicate what you described below, but failed. I may not have fully understood what you did, so I'll outline what I tried over the past hour, and ask you to give me some feedback.

I first exported my RM4 database as a GEDCOM. Then I re-imported the GEDCOM back into RM4 as a completely new database. Finally, I exported this new database as a completely new GEDCOM and uploaded it to RootsWeb.

At first, I didn't strip any tags from the GEDCOM when I uploaded it. The result was the usual more-than-doubling of names in the RootsWeb database and lots of extraneous tags showing.

I then uploaded the same GEDCOM a second time, this time stripping the known troublesome tags. The result was the same large number of RootsWeb 'fatal error level' messages -- wherever at least three digits followed a CONT tag -- and an overall failure to show full sources.

(I can give more details of these various errors to those who want to know more. And can outline experiments tried over the past week. But this latest outcome was basically the same problem as experienced initially, when uploading a normally produced RM4 GEDCOM to RootsMagic.)

Any chance I missed something? I was very excited to hear of your success, but am of course very disappointed at present.

Hoping to hear from you.

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au

#10 pjmpjm

pjmpjm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:34 PM

Hi Yallcome

Thanks for your very quick response!

From what you write, I can see that I did exactly the same thing you did. You even answered the question I didn't yet ask -- you told me that you had imported the data from RM3 to RM4 directly and not via a GEDCOM!

Having spent so much time trying to clean up my RM4 GEDCOM, I was extremely hopeful that this method would solve my RootsWeb source display problems once and for all, without a huge manual cleaning of my datasbase (which has more than 59,000 individuals and 3500 sources).

My next thought is to import my RM3 data into RM4 via an import of a RM3 GEDCOM -- and then try your method.

Another plan I thought to try over the weekend was to export a RM4 GEDCOM and import it into RM3. (Am told by a helpful RM4 GEDCOM expert that this will work.) And then export the resulting RM3 database as a GEDCOM and then upload to RootsWeb.

I really wonder why your method works for your database and not for mine. I might try your method one more time -- very carefully -- before I give up. I might have done something wrong.

Anyhow, your input is much appreciated and I'm really glad you solved your own RM4/RootsWeb problem.

Can you tell me how large your database is, just for a comparison?

Best wishes

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au

QUOTE(yallcome @ Apr 10 2009, 03:30 AM) View Post

Hi Patrick -- I just came home from work for the day and did this again.

Opened RM4
1 Imported my RM3 database from the RM3 file (not a GEDCOM)
2 Exported the "new" RM4 data to a new GEDCOM
(uploaded that to RootsWeb just to see if what had happened earlier was a on-off thing
-- it didn't work - got same errors in spouses and sources again -- all mixed up.)
3 ReImported the new GEDCOM into RM4
4 ReExported the RM4 data to a GEDCOM
5 Uploaded to Rootsweb -- no fiddling or anything, using the new interface.
6 Perfect!

Weird, huh?

It's almost as if the import from RM3 was dirty, and needed to be cleaned up by re-exporting and re-importing.

m2

#11 yallcome

yallcome

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:42 AM

Patrick -- my db contains less than 2000 folks, so you're handling a lot more than me! Good luck!

QUOTE(pjmpjm @ Apr 10 2009, 01:34 AM) View Post

Hi Yallcome

Thanks for your very quick response!

From what you write, I can see that I did exactly the same thing you did. You even answered the question I didn't yet ask -- you told me that you had imported the data from RM3 to RM4 directly and not via a GEDCOM!

Having spent so much time trying to clean up my RM4 GEDCOM, I was extremely hopeful that this method would solve my RootsWeb source display problems once and for all, without a huge manual cleaning of my datasbase (which has more than 59,000 individuals and 3500 sources).

My next thought is to import my RM3 data into RM4 via an import of a RM3 GEDCOM -- and then try your method.

Another plan I thought to try over the weekend was to export a RM4 GEDCOM and import it into RM3. (Am told by a helpful RM4 GEDCOM expert that this will work.) And then export the resulting RM3 database as a GEDCOM and then upload to RootsWeb.

I really wonder why your method works for your database and not for mine. I might try your method one more time -- very carefully -- before I give up. I might have done something wrong.

Anyhow, your input is much appreciated and I'm really glad you solved your own RM4/RootsWeb problem.

Can you tell me how large your database is, just for a comparison?

Best wishes

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au