• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Doug Purcell

Doug Purcell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

I just downloaded and installed an update to RootsMagic 4 dated 30 March 2009. I then logged on to the RootsMagic website and looked under support--updates/patches to find out what was "fixed" in the new update. On that page is the notation that the current version of Roots Magic is 3.2.6 which is the old RootsMagic 3 version. But nowhere could I find a listing of the update changes in RootsMagic 4 with the 30 March 2009 update. Is this information available somewhere on the RootsMagic website?

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:28 PM

No, it doesn't look as though that information has yet been made available.

#3 Ludlow Bay

Ludlow Bay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE(Romer @ Mar 31 2009, 07:28 PM) View Post

No, it doesn't look as though that information has yet been made available.

Lack of feedback from RM regarding bug fixes makes it difficult to properly evaluate the program and any updates. Once bugs are reported, how are we to know if bugs have been fixed, if they are fixed for some and not others, if RM *thinks* they are fixed but they aren't, etc.? It seems to me that RM is causing itself a lot of unnecessary "overtime" by having to plow through dozens/hundreds/thousands of duplicate bug reports which are repeated infinitum with every new update, simply because we have no way of knowing what we're looking for or what we're seeing. It would also be nice to see a list of enhancements that are planned for the near future.

#4 Jack

Jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:11 AM

sad.gif
Yeah, we need someone to tell us what's been changed/updated.

I'm still being bugged with that annoying name pop-up problem. That is as I mouse over a name on the family page, a small pop-up appears with a name in it. Although sometime the name that pops up is the same, generally it is not the same name I'm mousing over in that window.

This was reported a day or so before the final release, along with a screen shot showing the problem.

And, the pop-up doesn't always appear for every name on any given family page. It appears to be very random.

RM3 had a similar function but only when the name under the mouse was not fully displayed; e.g., when the RM window was reduced so that the entire name did not appear on-screen. It worked properly.

Jack

a posteriori

#5 Doug Purcell

Doug Purcell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:17 AM

I am a new user of RootsMagic and am trying to decide whether to stay with the program. I also use Legacy Family Tree and Family Tree Maker. I can't understand why RootsMagic customer support does not provide information on the updates at the time they are offered for download. This is not the case with Legacy Family Tree. Update info is available when the patch is offered.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE(Doug Purcell @ Apr 1 2009, 02:17 PM) View Post

I am a new user of RootsMagic and am trying to decide whether to stay with the program. I also use Legacy Family Tree and Family Tree Maker. I can't understand why RootsMagic customer support does not provide information on the updates at the time they are offered for download. This is not the case with Legacy Family Tree. Update info is available when the patch is offered.

Users appear to be getting a bit fed up with lack of feed back from RM. I am sure the folks down there are still working hard but just not feeding out what is fixed or planned to be addressed.

Maybe we should start a new Thread with the genuine bugs/snags listed and try to pick off what has been fixed and what has not. I posted at least half a dozen to the email address but that was just in my way of working so I am sure there are dozens out there I have not found yet.

All ideas welcome, if someone doesn't beat me to it I will list what I reported later.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

It is a bit odd, as the company has always listed what's been fixed in a particular patch. (See bottom portion of http://www.rootsmagi...dates/index.htm ).

I suspect that things have been extremely busy, but hope that this page will be updated once the opportunity arises.

#8 Frogg

Frogg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:42 PM

For myself, if I have a choice of seeing a list of what is fixed or having more fixes made, I would rather see more fixes made. I can do without a list. Just my opinion, of course.

Stay strong, Bruce. biggrin.gif

#9 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:51 PM

Believe me -- I'm with you, but it would be helpful to have both if available or not much trouble.

#10 Doug Purcell

Doug Purcell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:31 PM

Here is the response that I received from RootsMagic Technical Support:

Because of the overwhelming calls, etc... with Rootsmagic 4 it will be a while before the updates will be added to the updates/patches page.

RootsMagic Technical Support
Phone: 801-489-3102, option 2

#11 Totnor

Totnor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE(Doug Purcell @ Apr 1 2009, 03:23 AM) View Post

I just downloaded and installed an update to RootsMagic 4 dated 30 March 2009. I then logged on to the RootsMagic website and looked under support--updates/patches to find out what was "fixed" in the new update. On that page is the notation that the current version of Roots Magic is 3.2.6 which is the old RootsMagic 3 version. But nowhere could I find a listing of the update changes in RootsMagic 4 with the 30 March 2009 update. Is this information available somewhere on the RootsMagic website?

RM4 in the UK has an update 4.0.1.1 updated on 30 March. This was because the supplier issued the last RM users beta version at first. The 30 March version brings us up to date with the US version. Hence the confusion!

#12 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:00 AM

An upgrade to RM 4.0.1.1 was also made available within the software on 30 Mar 2009.

The confusion lies with the disconnect between what the RootsMagic updates/patches page refers to as the current release number (3.2.6) and the actual current release number (4.0.1.1). Based on the feedback from Support, it sounds as though that page will be updated as soon as all the activity surrounding the new release slows down a bit.