5 replies to this topic

#1 BarryEvans

BarryEvans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:43 PM

Remarkably, this has not happened in my family research thus far, so I am a little unsure:

If a person is registered as William George FIRTH to father FIRTH and mother GARDNER, but at the age of c. 2 years, his mother GARDNER partners (can not find marriage yet) George EVANS and therafter the child is known as George William EVANS (n.b swap in given names), how should the Alt name fact be used?

Should I give surname FIRTH and Alt name EVANS or vice versa?
The reason I ask is because if the former, in the (RM4) 'Name type' drop list there is 'Birth' suggesting (to me anyway) that I should use the latter?

Its late, the guy gives me a genealogical headache and I may have this all upside down blink.gif

Thanks

#2 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:12 PM

If the name was changed at that young an age, and he was known by the second name the rest of his life, I would enter his main name as the one he grew up with and was known by and probably passed on to his children.
The birth name would go into the Alt name fact. This just seems to be more logical.That is just my opinion.

===========
At this late a date, he wouldn't even turn his head if called by his birth name.
Alfred

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:38 PM

I use the name given at birth as the individual's name and record any other names as alternate name facts. In RM4, both names show up in the various indices, so it makes it easier to locate an individual using either name.

#4 BarryEvans

BarryEvans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:12 AM

QUOTE(Romer @ Mar 30 2009, 12:38 AM) View Post

I use the name given at birth as the individual's name and record any other names as alternate name facts.

If you do this (and I can understand why), which of the 'Name type' would you choose under the circumstances I outlined above?

And I also agree with Arthur's choice!

Confused in cycberspace

#5 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 05:08 AM

AKA would probably be the most relevant choice for the Name Type field in this instance, but you're not forced to enter anything for the Name Type field if you don't wish to do so. Probably the more important concern is adding a thorough description of the reason for the name change in the fact note.

I don't think that either of the two methods suggested in this thread is incorrect, but just a matter of preference. As long as you choose one way and are consistent with it in your data, you should be fine. Whenever possible, I just prefer to use birth name as the primary name and any later changes as alternate name facts.

#6 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:08 AM

Barry,
I follow the same scheme as Alfred (enter usual name as the main name in RM) and I added a note to explain this. I also enter a Alternate name fact to indicate the date up to which the earlier name was used.

In RM4, I use Customize sentence to change the birth sentence to read

George William EVANS was born as William George FIRTH ...date...place...etc.

I am also contemplating changing the default fact type sentence to:

[person:given:surname] was born< [Desc]>< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]>.

This would allow me to enter "as William George FIRTH" into the Desc field, or I can enter details about birth weight or "at home" or whatever without using the Customize function.

I do this also with legal name changes where the name was changed early in life.

-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm