• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 pjmpjm

pjmpjm

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:40 PM

Iíve been using RootsMagic and its earlier versions for more than five years now, and even longer than that have been using the RootsWeb site to upload my GEDCOMs and share my data. I have about 60,000 names in my database.

After switching from RM3 to RM4 the other day, I uploaded my new GEDCOM and was surprised to find that RootsWeb reported more than 140,000 names. (I had watched RM4 do the export process, which seemed much slower than with RM3, but it definitely only processed about 60,000 names.)

Then I checked the RootsWeb site and saw that sources werenít included in my database any longer, but new entries called PAGE were included.

I immediately uploaded my newest RM3 GEDCOM (having learned years ago never to delete anything old until the new version is definitely working) and immediately the RootsWeb site was back to normal.

So there was some issue with the way RM4 is creating a GEDCOM, which is different from how RM3 does the task.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

Iíve checked on my options for exporting GEDCOMs with RM4, but nothing jumps out at me. The options seem similar to RM3. What would be the differences with the new RM4? Perhaps someone with technical expertise could advice me.

Remember: when I switched back to the older GEDCOM, generated by RM3, RootsWeb produced pages with sources, and no odd PAGE entries. So this isnít a problem with RootsWeb. Itís a difference in the way that RM4 (and me) are producing GEDCOMs.

Needless to say, I really want to solve this problem!

Many thanks.

Patrick

patrick@mpx.com.au