• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RWells

RWells

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:44 AM

I am trying to standardize the place name fields in RM4.

In the past I have used the City, County, State, Country

Example: Lexington, Fayette County, Kentucky, United States

This works great for me.

The question I have is if the place is only Fayette County, Kentucky, United States should I place a comma before the county to indicate the city is missing? Example: , Fayette County, Kentucky, United States. This is the way I have done it in the past but am thinking of changing. to just be Fayette County, Kentucky, United States.

any suggestions especially from those who have foreign places on how to handle something like when you only know the country or maybe the state and country. Would a place location like Kentucky, United States be clear?

Thanks
Roger

#2 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:57 AM

In RM, I've entered only the part I know for any country. If not the United States or Canada, I always include the country name. If an event happened in the US or Canada, but I'm not sure of the actual location, I enter "United States" or "Canada". If I know the state or province, then I don't bother with the country.

I've never found it necessary to include the preceding commas.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#3 RWells

RWells

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Any suggestions on how to easily remove the leading "," that I have now?

Roger

#4 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:15 AM

I've always left the commas so as to eliminate any possible ambiguity. I also include the word "County"(if relevant), as well as the country name for the sake of clarity.

For example:

, , , Germany
Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, United States
, Dallas County, Texas, United States

etc.

#5 JohnG

JohnG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:25 AM

QUOTE(Romer @ Mar 27 2009, 09:15 AM) View Post

I've always left the commas so as to eliminate any possible ambiguity. I also include the word "County"(if relevant), as well as the country name for the sake of clarity.

For example:

, , , Germany
Indianapolis, Marion County, Indiana, United States
, Dallas County, Texas, United States

etc.

I've used the same formatting as Romer with one exception. The country name is used only if outside the United States.
JohnG

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3433 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE(JohnG @ Mar 27 2009, 02:25 PM) View Post

I've used the same formatting as Romer with one exception. The country name is used only if outside the United States.

I have also used the same formatting as Romer without exception in case I export a Gedcom and mail it to someone in the United States, it would possibly be a little confusing without the country.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 Glenn

Glenn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:24 PM

United States:
[city], [county], [state], U.S. -- only for the one or two places for which I couldn't determine the first three levels. Replace bracketed data with actuall place names when known.
Other countries:
English-speaking: [city], [county], COUNTRY (name in UPPER CASE)
Non-English: insert foreign language in () after unknown 2nd level: [city], [county (fylke)], NORWAY
Hmm! Looking at this here, perhaps the order s/b reversed: [city], [fylke (county)], NORWAY
Province for CANADA, Parish for Louisiana. I have nothing in Alaska, but I just checked and the equivalent there is Borough.

Glenn

Good real estate may be based on location, location, location;
but
good sources are based on citation, citation, citation!

Glenn