• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 RWells

RWells

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 02:34 PM

I am starting to convert my sources in RM4. They have been imported via Legacy and are in free from text?

Is there a easy way to convert them to the standard format in RM4?

If not what is the best steps to do the conversion manually in RM4?

Thanks
Roger

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE(RWells @ Mar 26 2009, 04:34 PM) View Post

I am starting to convert my sources in RM4. They have been imported via Legacy and are in free from text?

Is there a easy way to convert them to the standard format in RM4?

If not what is the best steps to do the conversion manually in RM4?

Thanks
Roger

ALL users of RM4 are at the same place that you are. EVERYBODY's sources are in Free Form to start with. My question to you is "What are you referring to as the "standard format in RM4"? blink.gif unsure.gif smile.gif

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:35 PM

I believe I read that a utility was in the works and would be available at a later time.

#4 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:40 PM

I am wondering why anyone needs to convert.
As long as the source of the information is clearly defined, the arrangement of the RootsMagic 3 source should be good enough.

Alfred

#5 Roger-Ohio

Roger-Ohio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Mar 26 2009, 05:40 PM) View Post

As long as the source of the information is clearly defined, the arrangement of the RootsMagic 3 source should be good enough.

OK I am starting to feel real stupid.
Been running RM and FamOriginsa since it was DOS.
Every upgrade has worked just fine.

Now I can't seem to do anything.

I am running Vista OS

Before I installed RM4 did backup of RM3, then did clean install of RM4, then started RM4
Selected FILE/IMPORT importing from RM1-3

RM4 doesn't find the files dry.gif

OK I must have done something wrong. I open RM3 and confirm the location for the db
FILE/OPEN locates all six of my RMG files at C:\ProgramFiles\RootsMagic

Back to RM4, Lets see what FILE/Search finds,
Selecting RM files we find nothing sad.gif

OK, lets just IMPORT them.

I know where my RM3 files are so select "I know where the file is"

I go to C:\ProgramFiles\RootsMagic BUT RM4 can't find any of my data files, even though that is where RM says the files are and they show on the drop down list ohmy.gif

Well lets try to restore from my Backups. I first identify where I want to save the new file
c:\ProgranData\RootsMagic

My five RM3 backup ZIP files are in C:\ProgramData\RootsMagic\bkup

But when I browse to the location of my Backup, RM4 doesn't see any of the ZIP files. mad.gif

#6 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE(Roger-Ohio @ Mar 26 2009, 06:37 PM) View Post

OK I am starting to feel real stupid.

Don't !!!
Reading this thread will help you understand (I've jumped you right to the recommendation, though):
http://www.rootsmagi...p...ost&p=24704

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#7 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:28 PM

Yes, nothing to feel bad about.
It is just Microsoft trying to protect us from ourselves.

BUT, I think that Bruce dropped the ball when he left the program folder as the default location for data files.
With RootsMagic 3 it wasn't such a fumble because it came out before Vista changed the rules.

Alfred

#8 Roger-Ohio

Roger-Ohio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE(kbens0n @ Mar 26 2009, 07:00 PM) View Post

Don't !!!
Reading this thread will help you understand (I've jumped you right to the recommendation, though):
http://www.rootsmagi...p...ost&p=24704

Thanks
I was thinking I should not have to be searching for and moving files around to move from RM3 to RM4.

Eventually found all my RM3 files in C:\users\Roger\\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\RootsMagic

Never heard of this Virtual store. WIll need ti onvestigate.

Roger

#9 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3459 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE(Roger-Ohio @ Mar 26 2009, 07:29 PM) View Post

I was thinking I should not have to be searching for and moving files around to move from RM3 to RM4.

Yeah... Vista's dang security model became an unfriendly side-effect to RootsMagic 3 having been written years before it, BUT, moving files is only a "one-time" thing. ( hardly a trouble wink.gif )

---
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#10 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Mar 26 2009, 05:40 PM) View Post
I am wondering why anyone needs to convert. As long as the source of the information is clearly defined, the arrangement of the RootsMagic 3 source should be good enough.
Yet, as evidenced by an earlier (and lengthy) topic on this subject, there are some users who find it is not good enough. And after the import not every source data field in RM4 is where it was in RM3 - like the RM3 Page field smile.gif

Why do I get the impression it's such a bad thing to want something much like the way it used to be? huh.gif

User since Family Origins 2.0, Now using RM 7.5...

#11 Alfred

Alfred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:55 PM

Habits are hard to break.

Except, most of the time I can't remember what my habits were.

Maybe Vista wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so hard to find anything in or about it.
No book, no help file, except online and with dialup -- forget it.
Google seems to be more help with it than anything else I have found.

I suppose if I junked this XP computer and stuck to Vista I would learn to like it.
But it seems that every time I boot it up, once a week or so, All it wants to do is download things I have no Idea what it is downloading, Windows upgrades, AVG upgrades Sone alarm upgrades and who knows what all.
The task maniger lists about 30 tasks with such odd names, I have no clue as to what they are doing or why I need them.

I have a good notion to go back to MS DOS 3.1, I think I still have the diskettes ---
Woops! Darn it! No floppy drive sad.gif

Please forgive me for my tirade.
Alfred

#12 Laura

Laura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4276 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:51 AM

Well, at times while beta testing, I've found myself looking longingly at the Windows 98 desktop with FO 10 still installed. Or opening RM3 just so I could see something familiar. smile.gif

I'll get used to the new screens in RM4 and a new way of accomplishing my goals. And RM4 will become the familiar program and RM3 will be strange. That is already happening to a certain extent. I miss the People screen and Side bar and Customize sentences in RM3.

I was finishing up a project in RM3 of making sure all my census images were linked and would show up in the Gallery when I transfered the database by linking them to the sources. I decided to see how I could finish the project in RM4.

It turned out quicker to do in RM4.

I opened RM4 and Windows Explorer side by side, compared the files in the Gallery with the files on my hard drive. Added any missing ones to the Gallery.

I've worked a little while on linking the media files to the rest of the sources, and so far, I am finding that is going a little faster also. Breaking the project down into 2 parts in RM4 will save more time all around.

I've now committed to the RM4 database and have made my RM4 Play database to try new things out in.

Laura

#13 RWells

RWells

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:35 AM

For those interested I tried the following and it worked to a point.

Create a new source using a standard source type found in RM4 or create your own.

Once it is created it will have the standard fields you want to enter data into.

You can then merge the old free form source into the new one you created and it will bring the data over but not necessary into the fields. You will then need to populate the fields as needed.

You can then delete the old free form source.

Not the best but better than typing all of it over again.

To me a source using fields to input is better than the free form as it makes your sources a standard format and you will be reminded each time what fields you need to enter and the format will be more consistant.

Hope this helps someone and maybe not get mixed up with vista hijackers
Roger

#14 bienia

bienia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:48 AM

QUOTE(RWells @ Mar 27 2009, 08:35 AM) View Post

Create a new source using a standard source type found in RM4 or create your own.

Once it is created it will have the standard fields you want to enter data into.

You can then merge the old free form source into the new one you created and it will bring the data over but not necessary into the fields. You will then need to populate the fields as needed.
Roger

Interesting. How did you do the merge?

Are you making a copy of the Freeform Full Footnote field then pasting that into one of the fields on the new template, then copying the pieces where they should go?

Please share.
-----------
Bill Bienia

RootsMagic Tips sheets: www.CobblestoneLegacies.com/resources.htm

#15 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE(bienia @ Mar 27 2009, 08:48 AM) View Post
Interesting. How did you do the merge?
Are you making a copy of the Freeform Full Footnote field then pasting that into one of the fields on the new template, then copying the pieces where they should go? Please share.
Yes, please do. I know it takes a bit of effort to create a detailed step-wise method, but I'm certain your efforts would be appreciated by many.

This is the single issue that is hold me back for getting RM4...

#16 RWells

RWells

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

OK I have not done this but a few times so use at your own risk.

Here are the steps I used to try this out. You will need to expermient to find the best way. You should use this on a test database so not to mess up your good database to make sure it works the way you want. Don't fuss at me if you mess up just keep trying.

1. I went to the Edit Person Screen and selected my birth.

2. Then select the source for my birth.

3. Select Add new Source

4. Selected Birth registration, state level. You may want to create a new template of your own prior to this if you find the RM4 templates do not suite you exactly.

5. Filled in the blanks for my birth certificate. The Master Source I gave a unique name. KY: Kentucky - Birth Certificates

6. Selected a repository for the source.

7. Clicked OK

8. This now gave me 2 sources for my birth. The old free form way and the RM4 template way.

9. Close out the Citation Manager and edit person screen

10. Go to List and select Master Source list.

11. Find the source I just entered and highlight it then click merge in the upper right of the screen.

12. Find the old free form source highlight and click select source to merge then click here button at the top

13. This should have your 2 sources show in a screen called Merge Duplicates?

14. Make sure your old is on the right if not swap.

15. Click Merge Duplicate at the bottom. and they are merged.

I hope this works for you

Roger

#17 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:29 AM

You may be on to something here... Your instructions were excellent, and I performed the steps (using my own birth reg. info as did you).

All the expected actions occured as you noted, but one problem surfaced. The information that existed in the following RM3 imported data fields did not merge into the new source:
  • Footnotes
  • Short Footnotes
  • Source Text
Consequently, important information - like the registration date & cert # were lost (only in the test DB).

Is this a bug? Should not all existing source fields actually merge into the corresponding new source fields. They did not... sad.gif

#18 Ellen K

Ellen K

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE(Alfred @ Mar 26 2009, 02:40 PM) View Post

It's not. I have printed a Roots Magic 4 narrative report with endnotes, and my user-created sources from RM 3 are missing periods that apparently were defaults in RM 3 endnotes. So my citation comments start immediately with no punctuation before it. I'm finding I have to tediously go through each source and detail field to add the missing periods.

I love Roots Magic 4, but this is making the conversion major. And I'm finding I have to update both my RM 3 and RM 4 file versions simultaneously because otherwise I'll loose all the changes I'm making to things like sources and fact-type templates in my RM 4 (and I have the problem with spouse photo images in the narrative overlaying the spouse's birth fact--until that's fixed, I can't convert. I must have a clean narrative report for the book I'm working on).

Has anyone else noticed the punctuation issue? Any easier solution?

#19 MikeZ

MikeZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE(Ellen K @ Mar 29 2009, 01:42 PM) View Post
It's not... I'm finding I have to tediously go through each source and detail field to add the missing periods.

I love Roots Magic 4, but this is making the conversion major. And I'm finding I have to update both my RM 3 and RM 4 file versions simultaneously...
I give you credit for trying, and the extra work that you're finding necessary is exactly why I've held off upgrading.

In addition to the punctuation issue you've discovered, I've found what appears to be a problem when sources are merged - not all fields merge, some are left behind and information is lost. Although I have a topic, and a support ticket, for this issue there have been no responses.

I'm sure the feedback must be overwhelming back at RM headquarters... huh.gif